Language delay in 22 month old grandson

Sielha Mon 05-Nov-18 09:43:37

Would welcome advice on this - we were concerned that my 22 month old grandson was on the autistic spectrum for all the usual reasons - not smiling, interacting, some hand flapping and no language. In the last couple of months he has become very smiley and a little more interactive but he still has absolutely no language and doesn’t even point. My daughter has raised her concerns with the doctor and health visitor and is waiting for him to go to a group called ‘chatterboxes’. On line advice varies quite widely so would be interested to hear if other grans have experienced this and have any useful advice. Thanks in anticipation!

Lynne59 Mon 05-Nov-18 09:52:47

I'm assuming the baby is spoken to a lot by his mum and other family members? My 2nd son was a bit late in talking, but by the age of 3 he chatted a lot.

kittylester Mon 05-Nov-18 09:59:42

Our eldest did not speak at all until he was2. He went on to teach English!

Sielha Mon 05-Nov-18 10:00:32

Yes he is. We all speak to him a lot but he doesn’t really show any interest in listening.

glammanana Mon 05-Nov-18 10:10:08

Wait and see how your little man goes on at chatterboxes you may find a big improvement,my DGD has gone to differant mums & tots groups since she was 6 weeks old and at 6mths is making all the right noises,but every child is differant and I do think 22mths is early to be looking at possible future problems he may just be like my first son and not start talking until he was nearly 20mths even though we talked and read to him all the time from birth.Hope things work out well for you at chatterboxesonce he starts he may not stop like my son did.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Nov-18 10:12:56

I wouldn’t be concerned at this stage. DD1 was a very early talker, happily chatting away well before others of her age. But she didn’t rise up and walk till she was nearly 2. Children develop at their own pace. You have input from professionals now, so if there is a problem they’ll pick it up.

Grannyknot Mon 05-Nov-18 10:19:42

Hi Sielha my little grandson was very slow on a range of developmental checkpoints at around that age, and as a result his nursery expressed concerns and it was arranged for him to be referred for a battery of tests for autism. (I always thought that some of the things that he was being measured on, such as not being bothered if other children took toys away from him, had more to do with having a placid nature than anything else). Eventually an autism consultant said that he was perfectly normal.

Anyway fast forward to 4 and a half years and he has completely caught up and is outperforming other children in his class on certain things.

Eglantine21 Mon 05-Nov-18 10:34:15

I worked in a nursery and sometimes saw language delay in children whose loving families anticipated and met their needs all the time. Things like food supplied before the child was hungry, a drink to hand so that they only had to reach for it, amusement on tap. No need to ask, no need to talk!

I saw it myself with my youngest whose siblings danced around her as if she was royalty. In fact her first word was an imperious “Boys!” It was the only one she needed for quite a while.

I’m not dismissing your concerns but it is still early days and the vast majority of children will speak when they feel the need. Perhaps have a look at the amount you all do for him without him having to ask? 😀

Luckygirl Mon 05-Nov-18 10:46:04

My DD - now a European account manager for an international company - did not speak till she was 2 - she then spoke in sentences straight away.

They are all different; and boys do tend to be slower in language development. It is good that everyone is keeping a close eye on it all and he has been referred on to a group.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Nov-18 10:59:14

My middle grandson did not speak a word until he was 3. He has autism, he was diagnosed at age 5. He has been helped by speech therapy and sees a therapist weekly. He has speech processing problems, although he hears the words, his brain doesn't process the sounds properly missing certain soft sounds and misses off the ends of his words. He chatters away now and we understand him. I
He's a delightful, stubborn boy with a great interest in anything electrical or mechanical. I believe he has a bright future.
Your grandson is quite probably quite normal, just slow to speak. I've just written this to demonstrate that autism isn't scary, just a different way of processing the world.

cornergran Mon 05-Nov-18 11:03:53

Watchful waiting from the family I think sielha and see how the experience at chatterboxes influences him. The other thing to consider is if he picks up anxiety from his family it may make him hold back for fear of getting it wrong. I do understand the worry, we’re experiencing something similar, we’ve found as the children get older there is a lot of help out there if it’s needed. Try not to worry.

Greyduster Mon 05-Nov-18 11:37:12

My nephew was well over two before he said anything. There is four days difference in age between him and my DS and the language differences were palpable. My nephew now runs his own very successful building company, and you can’t shut him up! Chin up and hasten slowly!

Marydoll Mon 05-Nov-18 12:27:18

Lots of sound advice here, Sielha. As GD says, "Chin up and hasten slowly!"
Joining the group, "Chatterboxes", is the first step to receiving support.
There are lots of Gransnetters who will also offer support, reassurance and advice. You know you are not alone here. flowers

stella1949 Mon 05-Nov-18 13:10:07

My daughter didn't utter a word until she was 3. She is now 42 and teaches secondary English . Sometimes it's a good thing to be patient and let them develop at their own speed.

Iam64 Mon 05-Nov-18 13:57:53

Lots of good advice here Sielha. Chatterboxes is the first step and I hope it helps. One of ours was late speaking and also showed some hand flapping, screams, big melt downs etc - fast forward 12 months and we have a chatterbox who rarely stops talking. Speech rather indistinct but, wide vocabulary and enjoying life to the full.

luluaugust Mon 05-Nov-18 16:29:28

Its very good that your DD has access to a group that can help with getting him to talk. I certainly wouldn't worry yet, DD2 was well over two when she got going, never stopped since. No help with her then but I did make sure I got her to ask for what she wanted even though it was just one word and pointing.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Nov-18 16:52:08

My nephew didn't talk until he was over 2. When he did start talking it was in complete sentences. On holiday, he spotted Lord Nelson's statue in Portsmouth and said to his mum, "I used to be that man". He was 3 at the time.

Sielha Mon 05-Nov-18 20:11:15

Thanks for the kind words and advice gransnetters, it really does help x

Grannyknot Mon 05-Nov-18 20:30:09

Just another thought about development. My grandson was 3 and a half and not potty trained (he absolutely refused to go without a nappy, everything was tried) and that was also flagged up by the nursery as cause for concern over many an earnest conversation.

One day he simply walked up to the toilet, pulled up his step and had a wee, and that was it. So he "toilet trained" himself - skipping the potty stage altogether - in the space of 24 hours.

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Nov-18 20:43:43

Einstein didn’t talk until he was four.

Iam64 Mon 05-Nov-18 21:04:16

Wasn’t Einstein of the autistic spectrum ?

EllanVannin Mon 05-Nov-18 21:08:34

I doubt autism can be diagnosed under 3/4 years of age so I wouldn't worry about it being anything like that. All children are different in everything they do. My firstborn was 18mths before she walked yet there was no medical or psychological reason why she couldn't then one day she just got up and trotted around as though she'd always done so,no wobbles and no gait.
You can't force them. There is something called selective mutism which occurs in some children mainly toddlers to school age but that's not to say that anything specific is wrong as it's something that nobody knows very much about.
I came across this in Australia when my D was doing childcare where a 4 year old girl wasn't speaking----until I read a book to her and I purposely mixed up the characters which she immediately put me right.

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Nov-18 21:12:37

No idea Iam64, he was quite clever though..

MargaretX Mon 05-Nov-18 21:14:17

My cousin didn't speak until she was four, I rememebr a lot of worrying conversations about it. She grew up and became a doctor. I've noticed a lot on GN think 2 is old to speak. - this is normal as is three years old.
A lot of mothers don't bother much about potty training its the nursery schools who put the pressure on.

I took DD1 to the clinic at 12 months and she didn't crawl, nor walk nor had she any teeth. I was made to feel worried but had the sense to know she was Ok. The district nurse said Well she looks intelligent enough and in this she was spot on!

agnurse Mon 05-Nov-18 23:22:42

Usually if a child is not speaking in 2-word sentences by age 2 we start getting concerned. That said, if your GS has shown signs of other problems it's important to start getting support now, rather than later. The early years, especially the first 3 years, constitute a critical learning period.