Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Language delay in 22 month old grandson

(32 Posts)
Sielha Mon 05-Nov-18 09:43:37

Would welcome advice on this - we were concerned that my 22 month old grandson was on the autistic spectrum for all the usual reasons - not smiling, interacting, some hand flapping and no language. In the last couple of months he has become very smiley and a little more interactive but he still has absolutely no language and doesn’t even point. My daughter has raised her concerns with the doctor and health visitor and is waiting for him to go to a group called ‘chatterboxes’. On line advice varies quite widely so would be interested to hear if other grans have experienced this and have any useful advice. Thanks in anticipation!

Iam64 Tue 06-Nov-18 08:29:04

I've googled Einstein, which I accept would have been sensible before I posted suggesting he was on the autistic spectrum. I've read two articles, both of which acknowledge the difficulties in diagnosing someone who is dead but - go on to list the personality traits and behaviours that suggest Einstein 'probably' was on the ASD, possibly he would today be diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome.

Speech delay is very different than elective mutism. Whilst delayed speech is associated with autism, my grandson who was diagnosed at 8, was speaking fluently and confidently when he was 2. On reflection though, he was showing a number of early indicators of autism. As a family, we all know much more now than we did 20 years ago. That's the same but magnified so far as early years and medical professionals are concerned.
Chatterbox is a great place to start as the staff involved will be knowledgable about child development.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Nov-18 09:34:57

Years ago children were mostly all potty trained before the age of two. I recall some babies who couldn’t sit on their own wedged and held over a potty until they did produce. I never went that far but both mine were dry by day at least at 20 months.
Understandable because of the stinky bucket of dirty nappies soaking in the corner of the kitchen.
No one expected them to speak before two but if they went to playgroup at 2 they had to be dry.
It seems it’s the other way round now. Nappies as old as 4 ( massive landfill mountain) but expectations of speech before 2.
Things change. Expectations cause concern if stages s aren’t reached but it all mostly works out in the end. Hope things work out for your grandchild.

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Nov-18 09:50:28

Iam64,
So did I, after you had posted. He probably was on the autistic spectrum but then so are a lot of extremely gifted and intelligent people.
My sister is married, extremely happily, to one. Even if the OP’s DGS is on the spectrum there is not always a negative outcome.
Their son is also on the spectrum. I don’t know if there is a genetic factor in this. I do know that they were on the case ASAP and got all the help they could. He is a delightful young man now.

JackyB Tue 06-Nov-18 09:51:48

You don't mention whether he has any siblings. Children with older siblings are often late with speech development, or so it is said, because their brothers and sisters speak for them (or possibly don't let them get a word in edgeways!)

Deedaa Tue 06-Nov-18 21:52:38

My mother told me I started school barely able to talk because she anticipated everything I wanted. I've certainly made up for it since! I was going to say that GS1 was late talking, but realised that being on the spectrum he might not be a good example! On the other hand he could win an Olympic medal for talking now.

Iam64 Tue 06-Nov-18 21:56:08

Pamela, yes there is a genetic influence. One of my grandsons was diagnosed at 8, his father and paternal grandfather are also on the autistic spectrum. That's just personal experience but the research evidence does point to a genetic influence.