Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

After 43 years that’s it!

(55 Posts)
Alima Wed 07-Nov-18 14:01:58

My car is going. I can no longer hack the driving. Never been a confident driver just careful. This last few months with stuff going on in the family my confidence has hit rock bottom and getting in the driving seat brings on a panic attack. What a wuss, I am so cross with myself. My main worry is how am I going to get garden compost in spring. Cannot see a taxi carrying it.

Esspee Fri 09-Nov-18 13:13:10

Sorry Alima but it looks like I am going to be the first to congratulate you on being sensible and knowing when to give up driving.
There are far to many people on the roads who pose a danger to themselves and others. I could never forgive myself if I caused an accident in which someone was injured due to my driving.

dotters Sun 11-Nov-18 16:29:57

Good for you giving up driving; buses are quite sociable and, as has been said, your green credentials will be given a boost! And think of all the lovely money not to be spent on car maintenance, road tax and insurance.

Lisalou Mon 12-Nov-18 22:01:22

My mum, at 81, decided that she wanted to give up. Frankly it was a relief, as the family were a bit concerned (me in particular, as I often was in the car with her, and so how lacking in confidence she was) She started driving when she was sixteen (she is American) and we calculated that after driving for 65 years, she was more than entitled to retire!!
Both my husband and I agreed to take her shopping, the only proviso being that she will simply have to go on errands which require a car on weekends. If it is something where she wants to go during the week, she will take a cab. This all came over during the summer and she has not regretted her decision so far.

PECS Mon 12-Nov-18 22:06:40

Re the compost..Milk & More milkmen deliver it!

Sorry you feel the need to ditch the car. Just save the insurance, petrol,parking and maintenance costs for taxis.