Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much worse can it get?

(62 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 10-Dec-18 14:21:40

Guy Verhofstadt the EU Brexit negotiator has just tweeted 'I can't follow any more. After two years of negotiations the Tory government wants to delay the vote'.

Talk about brinkmanship! I think May is just thinking about her own position now - couldn't face such a huge defeat.

I too can't follow any more!

paddyann Mon 10-Dec-18 20:14:47

I think you'll find its the tories who have borrowed MORE in the past few years than ALL Labour goverments ever .Dont let facts get in the way of your tory bias though.I'm not a labour supporter ,as you are probably aware but they couldn't possibly be worse than May and her cohorts .

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:25:28

Agree I am horrified at how the extreme wings of both sides have overtaken both labour and Tory.

paddy ann I can’t agree with you to be honest and as a Labour Party member until Jeremy took over I can’t countenance him and equally the inhumanity of the Tory party is hideous.

I am Party less for the first time simce I voted in 1982.

What to do?

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:27:42

Yes I have a lot of respect for yvette and I know she would put country first. I think she’s a decent woman. However momentum don’t actually like women so they? Like the far right they are misogynistic unpleasant men.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Dec-18 20:44:29

My Nan was a suffragist and I’ve always, always voted. I was told that if all else fails to spoil my voting paper, but vote. Always vote. If they have an election now, I think I might, for the first time ever, just write rude words on the ballot paper.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Dec-18 20:46:33

(If Labour were to get in it would be rule by committee. JC would never make a decision on his own.)

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:46:46

I sgree dumpling how fantastic your nan was a suffragette. smile

crystaltipps Mon 10-Dec-18 20:50:54

Vote Green let’s have a real alternative ve.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:52:09

Corbyn is a life long agitator. He’s never run anything. Not a union a council or let’s face it a united party. The anti Semitic issues are simply disgraceful. God help the country if this prat gets the reins.

Equally on the opposite side when Theresa is dumped we have Boris, Jacob and Davis.

All to a man unpleasant far left/right mysogynistic men.

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:54:19

Perhaps your beloved Tories will come up with something palatable

Why cant Corbyn fans grasp that many MANY of us who will vote against Corbyn are not lifelong die hard Tory voters. Many of us are ex labour voters. Its not that we LOVE the Cons. Its just that what Labour is currently putting on the table is the worst of a bad lot!

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:55:23

Vote green???

Yep Natalie Bennett’s figures of building 250 000 new homes at £60,000 each. Oh and no thought to the cost of the land yep give the greens the keys.

Oh yes and a citizens weekly wage to everyone irrespective of their wealth.

Brilliant sounds sensible to me after 10 pints and concussion

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:56:25

Vote Green let’s have a real alternative ve.

Yes vote green...if you are a man or a non-man... 'cause the word woman isn't inclusive (but somehow man is???)

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:57:16

& greens had such a great trial run with brighton?? hmm

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:57:37

notanan2

Because they arnt labour they are momentum and by default can’t understand logic. They are fanatics just like the far right. They hate us probably more than the Tories.

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:58:53

Regardless, green is a wasted protest vote. I have voted like that on occasion in the past, but this next election is a two horse race and the only way to keep out the one you want least is to vote for the 2nd worst of the two!

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:59:24

I am a non man because I am a woman and fucking proud of it.

The greens were a fantastic movement in the beginning but like all the msinnpartired now overtaken my lunatics

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 21:00:24

God it’s depressing

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:01:46

Because they arnt labour they are momentum and by default can’t understand logic. They are fanatics just like the far right. They hate us probably more than the Tories.

There is SO much hate and anger being generated by labour at the moment, its terrifying. Anyone who isn't blindly adoring of Corbyn is a bourgeoisie enemy.

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:12:49

You even see the dismissing/dehumanising of anyone who is Corbyn-critical here on GN which is usually not too echo chamberish when it comes to politics:

"I dont like that Corbyn said X"
"Well you're obviously a filthy rich Tory hugger who hates the NHS so I'm putting my fingers in my ears now.."

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:13:29

What the UK needs is a true centre party, unfortunately I cannot see one immerging in the foreseeable future.

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:15:39

(Never mind that Labour crippled the NHS and set it up for failure last time they had their hands on it.. )

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:18:31

What the UK needs is a true centre party
At times in the last couple of years even UKIP had been closer to centre than Labour has been it times.

I will vote for the party that I think is closest to centre. At this time none of the left leaning parties are coming close, that leaves me voting right even though at heart I would say I am slightly left of centre. But definitely not far left!

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 21:22:38

Oh totally agree the hate is awful but lived through this in the 80s as militant tendency.

The far left and the far right are very similar. Violent unpleasant nasty and mysogynistic.

Granny I agree and a while back I would have said both labour and to an extent even fhe Tories were fairly central but not anymore.

Extremists both sides.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 21:26:55

I hoped after Corby took over that maybe the sensible labour MPs would perhaps form another party but to b honest why should labour be decimated!!! Why should sensible labour members have to leave to form another party. It’s insane. Part of me thinks it would be a good thing if labour actually took power as it would be disasterous and finish momentum for another bloody generation.

However the country would suffer in the short term

GillT57 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:09:14

Anna Soubry on Newsnight tonight berating some bland labour spokesman, criticising the Labour Party for being s weak and ineffectual opposition. She is absolutely right.

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:13:05

^I wonder how many people can afford to leave.
the country because they don't like the government?^
Thousands of people do emigrate every year oldbatty, not just because of the government, of course, but that could be one of the reasons.