Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much worse can it get?

(62 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 10-Dec-18 14:21:40

Guy Verhofstadt the EU Brexit negotiator has just tweeted 'I can't follow any more. After two years of negotiations the Tory government wants to delay the vote'.

Talk about brinkmanship! I think May is just thinking about her own position now - couldn't face such a huge defeat.

I too can't follow any more!

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:14:28

mmm, so you are going to take your money and run?

Unbelievable.

I am very confused as to why this is unbelievable.
I don't know many people who don't have relatives living overseas in non-EU countries.

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:18:38

I agree dumpling how fantastic your nan was a suffragette
Mycatisahacker not trying to be pedantic, but I think NfK's nan was a suffragist, which is a bit different.

I agree with some of your other posts btw
I feel lost

Day6 Tue 11-Dec-18 00:18:28

Oh NfkDumpling how I agree with you.

I am a Leaver, but I have fully accepted Leave means Remain. I do not envy poor TM, what a poisoned chalice she had thrust at her. No politician in my time has had such a difficult task.

I hate the deal she came back with. She has lost my support. The EU is having a laugh and she has allowed it. To the tune of BILLIONS of taxpayers money.

However, I have stopped tuning in to Brexit happenings.. I am beyond exasperated. I really do have to stop watching the news and following reports, etc. It does my blood pressure no good.

I tell myself it doesn't really matter what I think. My little vote hasn't influenced anything. I cannot control what goes on in political circles.

It is better for me if I do not join in political debates. Life is too short and politics causes divides now it's all out there on social media and keyboard warriors are slagging off people who disagree with them.

Who needs it?

Pythagorus Tue 11-Dec-18 00:25:54

What a mess! Can’t listen to it. We are ruining our own country. Politicians haven’t got the interests of the country at heart. They are just trying to score points. Where will it end?

Day6 Tue 11-Dec-18 00:30:15

God it’s depressing

Yup. It sure is Mycatisahacker

TM f*cks up, sucks up to EU negotiators, went pleading for the UK instead of telling THEM to take or leave what WE were offering. She comes back with a dreadful deal.

Corbyn and the present Labour party are frightening. Seriously - if he and Momentum provide the only serious opposition we are well and truly doomed.

How did we get to this? Corbyn dissing May makes my hackles rise, given he is the political equivalent of a chocolate fireguard wrapped in a red flag. Those who hide behind him are dangerous, but May might as well give him the keys to number 10 now.

Corbyn in the driving seat, backed by Marxist agitators, and Brussels politicians rubbing their hands with glee as they get UK billions and power over us for the foreseeable future.

You couldn't make it up. Pass the antidepressants.

crystaltipps Tue 11-Dec-18 05:22:21

My lovely neighbours have just gone to Canada because of Brexit, another couple of doctor neighbours now live in France, and children of some friends of mine have just got jobs in Singapore, all triggered by the Brexit mess. Meanwhile the NHS is having a recruitment crisis as usual, are trying to recruit from African countries as no EU medics want to come here. Leavers no doubt happy about that.

eazybee Tue 11-Dec-18 10:17:07

Day6, I so agree.
My local MP has written to all his constituents explaining why he will vote against TM,despite feeling disloyal; he campaigned on Leaving EU and has stayed true to what he promised. Many Tory MPs feel the same.
This went out before the vote was cancelled.
I am so disgusted by TM.
She has left Parliament and her party in total disarray, once again scuttling off to Europe, with no intention of achieving any concessions, simply employing more delaying tactics.
Lie after lie after lie.

Riverwalk Tue 11-Dec-18 12:11:47

The Tories are on the edge of their greatest crisis in modern times - MPs must rally together

The title of William Hague's article in today's Telegraph - I assume he means Tory MPs.

Says it all really - it's all about the Tory party, not the country on the edge of a crisis - the reason why Cameron held the referendum in the first place, to fight-off the UKIP challenge.

oldbatty Tue 11-Dec-18 12:22:15

I probably won't be voting Tories any time soon, but compared to this lot Major,Hague et al seem like fine folk.

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 20:01:26

^ it's all about the Tory party, not the country on the edge of a crisis ^

For Tory read Labour, SNP, DUP. They are all of them thinking from a narrow self interest view.

Of course if you support a political party you do view every situation through the appropriately coloured glasses, but I cannot remember a time when every political party was so utterly unembarrassed to be seen putting naked self-interest at the forefront of every issue and to hell with the public and national interest.

Fennel Wed 12-Dec-18 22:16:34

M0nica - my thoughts exactly.
But what can we, or anyone, do about it.? Sometimes I'm glad I've come to the end of my allotted span.