Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much worse can it get?

(61 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 10-Dec-18 14:21:40

Guy Verhofstadt the EU Brexit negotiator has just tweeted 'I can't follow any more. After two years of negotiations the Tory government wants to delay the vote'.

Talk about brinkmanship! I think May is just thinking about her own position now - couldn't face such a huge defeat.

I too can't follow any more!

Alima Mon 10-Dec-18 16:43:45

You ok Riverwalk? You’re not usually so brow beaten. Don’t worry, what will be will be. If we knew everything the Europeans were tweeting there would be collective panic. Chill, think about Christmas instead.

winterwhite Mon 10-Dec-18 17:03:24

Well, no one in the UK can follow it either - or rather politicians all take their own route through the maze / fog, and all get lost and bump into one another and veer away again- so it's not a surprising tweet. Nor is the exasperation surprising.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Dec-18 17:15:48

She should never have paid the DUP anything in advance!! I’ve accepted we’re staying in and will just have to pay for the cost of all this negotiation in further years of austerity. (Unless Labour get into power and just borrow, and borrow and ......)

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:35:05

nothing to say, sorry …….

confused I think I'll stay under the duvet.

M0nica Mon 10-Dec-18 17:45:13

Jalima, likewise [we need an emoji for despair]

Izabella Mon 10-Dec-18 18:07:36

?

Think we need a rather large duvet

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 18:11:07

When will it be safe to emerge:?
Will someone bring us some Christmas dinner and wine?

Anniebach Mon 10-Dec-18 18:25:40

I have reached - past caring , though I fear Corbyn being in charge

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 18:56:01

I said on another thread if Corbyn/McDonnell get in I (and Mr GG) will seriously consider leaving UK for a non EU Country.

I would not feel safe under their leadership!!

lemongrove Mon 10-Dec-18 18:58:47

Follow what?
All politicians say the same sort of guff.Saying no to more negotiations is just a ploy.It’s never over until it’s over.

crystaltipps Mon 10-Dec-18 19:00:45

Which non Eu country ? Which one? I think I’d head for Scotland (or Ireland)

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:03:58

I said on another thread if Corbyn/McDonnell get in I (and Mr GG) will seriously consider leaving UK for a non EU Country

Will it be in a rubber dingy without water?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:05:49

Further afield!!

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:14:07

Good for you and your money.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 19:29:07

What a bloody mess.

Corbyn would be a complete disaster of course.

The mad far right have taken over the Tories and the mad far left have taken over labour.

Scary times

Iam64 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:43:41

I'm a life long Labour supporter. I wish I could feel enthusiastic about the idea of a JC led government - the best I can say is I don't believe it could be worse for the country than the current lot have been. Our public services are devastated etc etc
However - what is JC's position on Brexit. Anyone? If Keir Starmer was Labour leader - life would feel a whole lot less depressing.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:45:03

Oldbatty absolutely, we have paid our taxes (personal and business) and there is no way that those odious people are going to get their slimey mits on it.

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:47:15

mmm, so you are going to take your money and run?

Unbelievable.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:52:39

Our business will remain in the UK, employing people and will continue as it does today, just be paying more taxes to Labour who will borrow till the cows come home.

Hopefully the public will see sense and vote them out at the first available opportunity.

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 20:00:21

Great stuff. I wonder how many people can afford to leave.
the country because they don't like the government?

Perhaps your beloved Tories will come up with something palatable.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:09:20

Life long labour voter but no way in hell coukd I vote for Corbyn. Nasty racist and fairly stupid into the bargain. It’s not labour it’s momentum.

If only yvette cooper or Andy burnham coukd have taken the lead and our awful loss was John Smith.

Can’t vote for the Tories so I have nothing to vote for.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:12:23

Totally agree with John Smith. Not sure if momentum would allow a female leader, but I have respect for Yvette Cooper.

Iam64 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:12:40

Mycatisahacker - I voted Yvette and Andy. I've kicked myself since and wondered if Id voted Andy, whether he'd have beaten JC.
I heard JC speak at 3 different Hustings in the first leadership contest. He said the things many wanted to hear, I'd no problem with that but I didn't believe he had what it takes to lead the LP. Nothing that's happened since has changed my mind - the opposite in fact.

M0nica Mon 10-Dec-18 20:13:04

If anyone other than,.. was leader of the Labour party, life would feel less depressing.