Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Selfish daughter?

(40 Posts)
Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 19:45:02

My daughter has Left her husband and come to live with us with her children, she has been diagnosed with MH problems, but her behaviour at times is really difficult to understand and she is neglecting the children. I’m at my wits end. I am now on anti depressants as I can’t cope. She goes out all the time and just expects us to look after the children. If I didn’t bath them/wash their clothes/do their homeworkwith them it just wouldn’t be done. I’ve tried and tried to speak with her about this, but she claims I am controlling.
She has now started to smoke weed and it seems to be all consuming. She has said she’ll move out if I’m unhappy, but she can’t because the children would suffer and besides, she only works part time at minimum wage.
My
OH and myself were beginning to look forward to spending more time together, but now we don’t even have time to talk.
I don’t think it’s her MH that’s causing this (I discussed it with her CPN) she is just acting like a 15 year old!
I’m Absolutly exhausted both mentally and physically and have no idea what to do.
I adore my grandchildren and they have all flourished since they came to stay, but, TBH, I don’t really like my daughter at the moment.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 10:51:07

Please don’t say addiction is a choice

Elrel Sun 23-Dec-18 11:30:38

David1968 - you posted more or less what I was thinking. The children can learn to keep themselves clean, do their own washing, and help around the house. If their recent home life has been chaotic they could well enjoy having some control over their environment.
If they are at the same schools as before homework could be discussed with their teachers. If not explain to the headteacher that there may be issues. Can they encourage each other to get it out of the way early in the evening? Then they'll have time for helping you and for their own interests.
It's a good thing you're doing, to give your GC some much needed stability. I'm sure it's very demanding but, as you say, already they are starting to flourish. ?

EllanVannin Sun 23-Dec-18 12:37:47

Prescription meds and cannabis don't mix if she's taking both as cannabis will counteract any good that her medication gives thus exacerbating her already depressive condition.
Cannabis alone has been proven also to cause MHI.

Pythagorus Sun 23-Dec-18 13:30:50

I would be tempted to keep the GCs with you and tell her to move out until she sorts herself out!

The GCs need you as you are the only stability they have. They need the routine, the clean beds, hot meals and the care you are giving. They can of course help with the chores.

If you can afford it get a cleaner in for a couple of hours a week. Avoid ironing ... I finish things off in the tumble dryer and fold.

I would try and stop her going off somewhere with the children ..... if necessary I would get social services involved. Why should the children suffer. Sounds like a selfish silly woman who is trying to be a teenager again. Depends on the extent of MH problems.
Your house, your rules!

Pythagorus Sun 23-Dec-18 14:10:00

Annie Bach - Addiction isn’t a choice ..... but the decision to seek help for addiction is a choice.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 14:40:40

Pythagorus. If only it was that simple, but it isn’t

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 14:42:39

And self harming and anorexia is not being selfish or silly
Pythagorus

Pythagorus Sun 23-Dec-18 14:51:41

Anniebach - I know self harming and anorexia are not selfish and silly. I am a recovered bulimic ....... I didn’t get help so it took longer than it could have done to beat it ..... but eventually I did.

Iam64 Sun 23-Dec-18 14:53:53

Thanks for your contributions Pythagorus. The best advice on addictions I was ever given when learning my job, came from a man who ran our city's drug team. He'd been a heroin and poly drug user before he reached the point of engaging with help.

EllanVannin Sun 23-Dec-18 17:05:10

Some people don't see it as themselves having a problem this is why addictions in some cases are hard to treat. Those who are in denial are impossible to treat and will refuse medication and/or help.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 17:13:11

And there are people who know they have a problem , go into rehab but find the real world too hard to cope with . If only it was as simple as accepting help and your cured

Iam64 Sun 23-Dec-18 18:45:27

That's one of the key issues Anniebach, that addictions are so difficult for the person with the addiction and for their loved ones.
The OP here, like so many other grandparents, is in a difficult place between the needs of her grandchildren and the needs of her adult daughter. The needs of the children include their mum being well, but their mum isn't currently in a place where she'll be able to respond to help. Help is vanishingly rare these days

EllanVannin Sun 23-Dec-18 18:56:54

The children need stability and the only ones who can give them that are the grandparents. The priority is also the children and unless help is professionally sought for the daughter then the children stay with the grandparents.
It wouldn't be the first time that primary carers are ageing grandparents.

Adult social services and those familiar with mental health should be contacted and this plight explained to them.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 18:57:43

It is rare Iam, and when there is mental health problems and addiction even more so. I ache for OP,