Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Zzz ... ?

(98 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 22-Dec-18 22:00:52

Just curious here. What time do we all go to bed and get up?
Mostly, I go to bed around 10pm ish and get up without an alarm around 7:45am most mornings. Perfect for me. Maybe once to the bathroom during the night.
Then I read in the news recently that more than 9 hours isn’t a good thing.

kittylester Sun 23-Dec-18 07:37:53

I usually go to bed between 9.30 and 10 but read until 10.30 ish. DH can sometimes stay up later than me but we can't break the habit of waking up at 5.45 am whether we set the clock or not. One or other of us makes tea and we watch the new, catch up on our phones and drink tea for an hour or so.

DH can nap during the day but I find it impossible.

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Dec-18 07:47:47

I’m usually asleep between 10 and 10.30pm and awake sometime after 5.00am. I’m still on British Summer Time.

M0nica Sun 23-Dec-18 08:19:58

Aim to be asleep by 11.00pm and usually up at 6.00am, now and again I sleep until 7.00. Any later is a sign that I am ill.

I have always been an extreme lark who gradually winds down like a clockwork mouse over the length of a day.

Grannyknot Sun 23-Dec-18 08:30:50

In bed around 10, read, chat until 10.30 or 11. Wake up around 7 a.m., sometimes earlier. If I don't drink anything after dinner, I don't get up during the night.

Every Saturday afternoon (when at home) I have a deep, restorative kip for about 2 hours and the whole family knows not to disturb that!

jusnoneed Sun 23-Dec-18 08:33:59

Go to bed somewhere between 9-10pm (depends if I find anything to watch on telly) and then ipad/read for an hour or so. I usually drop off as soon as I put that down, visit the loo once or twice during the night and then get up around 6am. Straight in the shower, if I manage to beat my son to it, coffee, dress, and the day time stuff begins.
And repeat... lol

sodapop Sun 23-Dec-18 08:48:30

Bed at 11,30pm for me, I have lavatory trips as well usually twice in the night. I often wake about 4am so I read for a while. The dogs wake me at 8am wanting to go for a walk.

harrigran Sun 23-Dec-18 09:12:33

Bed usually between 12.30 - 1am and wake between 8 and 8.30 unless I have an appointment and set the alarm.
Always been a night owl.

annodomini Sun 23-Dec-18 09:18:40

Go to bed around 11.30; fall asleep between 12 and 1. Wake up 7-ish; drowse, listen to radio and read until 9. Loo break sometime during night but go straight back to sleep.

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:23:18

I try to go to bed after10pm but I enjoy reading for at least an hour but I have lights out around midnight. In summer I am happy to get up early and Tara is delirious with joy but in winter I prefer to stay in bed until around 7.30am with a cat nuzzling me wanting me to move. I am up to the loo at least twice each night but I usually sleep like a log in between. I have started to take the odd nap between 5-t6pm - I sleep too much. Lessons are available!

Chewbacca Sun 23-Dec-18 09:28:20

Bed about 11 o'clock or maybe midnight if no work the next day. Fall asleep almost immediately, only to suddenly wake up and find it's only 01.30. Go to the loo and try to sleep again. Wake again around 03.45. Repeat previous performance. Wake again around 05.00. Repeat previous performance. Alarm wakes me around 07.30 and I feel shattered. I can't remember the last time that I slept for longer than a 2 hour stretch, unless I take a swig of Night Nurse and that knocks me out for the night but leaves me feeling hungover all the next day.

Urmstongran Sun 23-Dec-18 09:52:34

I’m loving reading all your comments on this topic! And Doodle you made me laugh out loud asking if I was a burglar❗️

Lesleyann9 Sun 23-Dec-18 10:08:55

Go to bed at 3,00 up st 6.00.

henetha Sun 23-Dec-18 10:11:36

Go to bed about 11.15ish and read until midnight. Alarm clock wakes me at 7.45. I sleep well most nights. Rarely have to get up in the night.
If I am at home I often nod off in the afternoons for about 20 minutes or so.... zzzz

CarlyD7 Sun 23-Dec-18 10:11:53

Don't believe everything you read in the papers! Firstly, we are all different and need different amounts of sleep. Secondly, in the Winter months we need at least another hour's sleep. Sounds like what you are doing works for you. (PS the only one caveat is that if you suddenly find you're needing loads more sleep and it's not winter, then I would see your GP - can be a sign of another problem; in your case, I'm pretty sure it's not).

Kim19 Sun 23-Dec-18 10:13:22

I'd be interested to know what the ill effects are supposed to be. Anyone have actual knowledge of the findings, please? I haven't seen this article.

4allweknow Sun 23-Dec-18 10:21:28

Later and later going to bed. Last night was 1.50am going upstairs. By the time I actually got into bed, read for a while and turned light off must have been getting on for 3 am. Can waken about 6 am but go back to sleep until nearly 8. I have turned the corner maybe due to dark as I used to waken nearly every half hour once I was in bed. Horrible as tired during the day but having a few hours solid makes a big difference. DH just goes to bed around 11pm. I have always been a nightbird but worsened in last couple of years.

lizzypopbottle Sun 23-Dec-18 10:23:28

I'm fit and well but sleeping can be hit and miss. I was out celebrating last night, (had a few G&Ts) so thought I might sleep badly. I slept 7/8 hours with no bathroom visit. Other nights I might have no cuppa later than 10pm, go to bed about 11.30pm and wake up to go to the loo. Some nights I have a cup of tea just before bed and sleep through no bother. Some nights (often when family or other stress is bothering me) I wake, wide awake, at 3.30am on the dot. There's no consistency!

Lately, I've tried the self hypnosis/positive affirmation thing of telling myself, as I switch off the light, that I will sleep all night and wake at a specific time. Weirdly, this often works!

Allgoodnamesaregone Sun 23-Dec-18 10:47:38

I get nowhere enough sleep. On a school day (I'm a teacher) I try to he in bed for 10.30 but it's often 11. The alarm goes off at 5.40. And I'm up at least once for the loo, usually 3ish.
Weekends it's often midnight before I get into bed & I wake about 7.30ish....& can never get back to sleep. I am always tired.

starbox Sun 23-Dec-18 10:49:40

Go to bed usually about 10-11, but not unusual to sit up till 4 or 5 am when hubby in bed and I'm on a knitting roll with unfettered accesss to TV and loads of undemanding recordings to accompany me- Judge Judy, Jeremy Kyle...sometimes sneak to bed when sun coming up.

Getting up: anything from 630 am-9. Tends to be later this time of year. But if hubby off golfing, get up early to make most of every minute he's out!!

Millie22 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:03:39

My goodness I'm amazed how little sleep some people have and up at 5 in the morning. I go to bed about 10 and read for a while and wake about 8.30 and get up at 9.

Nanny41 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:08:01

Watch paper review then bed this is about midnight ( we dont live in the UK) always hard to sleep but when I do I could sleep for ever. I usually get up at 9 am thats about eight hours sleep if I am lucky.

adaunas Sun 23-Dec-18 11:19:15

Only our waking up is fixed, at 6.45, even with no alarm. Aim to get to bed 10.30-11pm but often not till midnight. Like to read a bit then doze off. Thank heavens for Kindle Paperwhite.
DH can and does doze anytime during the day (means I can turn the TV off or watch something I like). If I’m going out in the evening I sometimes doze for 30 mins before getting ready but otherwise I try not to sleep in the daytime. Rules about sleeping, eating or not eating certain foods etc. are used to fill in space when there’s not much to put in the news. E.g. I’ve never seen a “red meat is bad for you” article when there’s a fire, tsunami, political uproar etc.

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:23:15

Bed at seven (I like my own company), sleep between nine and ten, up once usually about half two, get up between six and half past, dressed and away to the day by half past.

For many years I had to be up at four for work so for me six is a lie in, now I am retired.

Aepgirl Sun 23-Dec-18 11:30:04

6hours would be a bonus for me. No danger of over-sleeping!

Gaggi3 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:38:20

It was just the same for me, Allgoodnames, when I was teaching. I've been retired for 14 years now and still don't sleep well. I go out like a light, but wake up a lot and often can't drop off again. Not really helped by DH who rarely comes to bed before 2 , often later, and sometimes snores! I hope it will be better for you.