Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Following on from the "how do you imagine other members look" thread........

(49 Posts)
phoenix Sun 06-Jan-19 17:37:43

Hello all, usual good wishes!

So, how do you imagine other members sound?

I appreciate that we know where some live, but bear in mind, they may not be native to that area!

janeainsworth Sun 06-Jan-19 18:47:49

I don’t think I’ll answer that one phoenix grin

Melanieeastanglia Sun 06-Jan-19 18:49:08

I've never thought much about it before as I think I tend to read words of any sort in my own accent.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Jan-19 18:55:43

I don’t really read in accents or sounds so I ve never really done this I ll see if I can try

Pittcity Sun 06-Jan-19 19:12:40

I know at least one GN in Scotland has a Southern accent and one in Essex has a Scots accent!
I am Essex through and through.

TerriBull Sun 06-Jan-19 19:21:51

I think at least one might sound very LOUD and shout a lot. Depending on the information supplied by individual posters as to their the locality and where they were raised, I'm guessing there are quite a lot of regional accents. Annie, I'm sure will have a lovely Welsh lilt similar to Ruth Jones and janeainsworth, I believe you are from the North East, so maybe like Cheryl Cole, or whatever she calls herself these days grin it's all good to my ears, when we were up in Alnwick we thought the accents were great, I guess there are nuances between say a Newcastle native and greater Northumberland but not discernable to a soft southerner like myself. Phoenix I think you mentioned you were way out west, so I'm guessing you roll your rrrrs, as in misandrrrrry. Well you did ask grin

Chewbacca Sun 06-Jan-19 19:26:24

Well that all depends Phoenix, as to whether I've got my "telephone voice" on or not!

I spend a large part of my working day on the phone and I've always kidded myself that my "telephone voice" is the epitome of the Queens English and totally without accent. I recently rang a client and his colleague answered the phone. I asked if Mr X was available and whilst waiting for him to come to the phone I heard:

Colleague: Mr X, that Northern woman is on the phone for you.

shock how very dare he?

paddyann Sun 06-Jan-19 19:27:13

I have a west of Scotland accent and a very quiet voice.I answer the phone at work and my OH is always being told the "wee girl" in your office said,but I told her I'd rather speak to the boss...lol.There is always surprise when the "wee girl" turns out to be nearly 65 and has been in the job longer than OH has .On the other hand I can take control of 100 guests or more at a wedding with no problems ,my daughter says its my MUM voice and look that makes them do what they are asked without any problem

mcem Sun 06-Jan-19 19:40:34

I'm a Scot too. Don't sound like Lorraine Kelly or Carol weather lady - more like Kaye Adams or Radio 4's Susan Rae, I think (fairly neutral).
I like Geordie accents, Welsh accents but not brummie or Essex!
(Sorry if that upsets anyone.)

mcem Sun 06-Jan-19 19:42:20

Sorry, posted too soon.
I find it difficult to imagine voices as I read posts.

sodapop Sun 06-Jan-19 19:44:03

It's strange isn't it Chewbacca Yorkshire people say I don't have an accent but when I go down South I am tagged as Northern. Must be a question of degree.

Cabbie21 Sun 06-Jan-19 20:09:01

I am a bit of a verbal chameleon. Born down south, grew up in the Midlands, lived most of my adult life in Yorkshire but now moved away, I tend to speak like whoever I am talking with.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Jan-19 20:40:36

TerriBull Cheryl Cole????shock Do you mind???grin
Actually I'm from Cheshire and although I've lived in Northumberland for the last 30 years I haven't lost my Stockport accentgrin

Grannybags Sun 06-Jan-19 20:47:54

Well I was born in Kent to Yorkshire parents. Worked in London and now live in Bristol. I feel as if I sound too posh when talking to the locals but when I hear recordings of me I sound Cockney, with a few Yorkshire words thrown in!

callgirl1 Sun 06-Jan-19 20:52:06

I don`t think I`ve got any particular accent, I spent my first 13 years in S.Yorkshire, then moved to Lancashire, then just over 41 years ago we came to Lincolnshire, so I`m probably a mix. My kids are all yellow bellies. I imagine Phoenix to be posh without being la-di-da, and quite authoritative.

phoenix Sun 06-Jan-19 22:07:09

Ha ha! Live in Devon, but moved here from Middlesex/Surrey area!

TerriBull Sun 06-Jan-19 22:21:38

Middlesex/Surrey that could describe me! Born and brought up in Surrey, but now live in what was Middlesex, which apparently no longer exists as it's been swallowed up into Greater London. In fact I'm right on the border literally, so much so, I could have one foot in each county, if Middlesex was still where it should be, and I haven't even got long legs grin

Fennel Mon 07-Jan-19 09:13:21

I come from the NE and still have a slight geordie accent. I can talk broad geordie if necessary.
I had an uncle who was a farmer in the Borders. When he was talking to the local shepherds etc he had a strong Northumbrian accent, but if he met one of the 'toffs' he spoke all posh.
I was with him once when we met the Duke of Northumberland, his landlord. Talk about plums in the mouth!

Teetime Mon 07-Jan-19 09:31:36

I dont have an accent except when roused then its cockney/estuary. I am told I have a soft voice and it sounds quite sexy on the phone.

GlamM Mon 07-Jan-19 09:55:09

I have a southern counties accent ; and as I moved around a lot as an army brat so I’m also very good ( I am told ) at accents! I do get irked by text speak , the use of the wording Gawjus tips me over the edge ?. I’ve got my networking voice and my normal non working less pronounced one. But one thing that doesn’t change is my sense of humour ... ooooo the trouble it gives me ?

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 09:56:22

I have a broad Brummie accent and sound as though I have a blocked nose. Very attractive! If ever I hear a recording of myself I can't believe it's me.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 07-Jan-19 10:05:27

Definitely Southern Counties, born in London, moved to Surrey, then to Essex via Spain.

harrigran Mon 07-Jan-19 10:33:23

I live in the NE but never make the mistake of calling me a Geordie, I am a Wearsider and our accent is softer.

Anniebach Mon 07-Jan-19 10:48:00

Here’s a surprise, I have a Welsh accent , not a North Wales accent, not a South Wales Valleys accent, not a West Wales accent , a mixture of North and South I think.

Mamissimo Mon 07-Jan-19 10:50:28

Oim ampshire.....?