Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Following on from the "how do you imagine other members look" thread........

(50 Posts)
phoenix Sun 06-Jan-19 17:37:43

Hello all, usual good wishes!

So, how do you imagine other members sound?

I appreciate that we know where some live, but bear in mind, they may not be native to that area!

PECS Mon 07-Jan-19 22:31:08

Lemongrove the first lesson was,a surprise! Hat to say the teacher 's name over and over: Miss Thistlethwaite ??? really true!

GrandmaMoira Mon 07-Jan-19 22:18:32

I sound mildly London having been brought up in London with Scots and Lancashire parents. Londoners think I sound northern.

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 22:04:44

Bugger, posted too soon, but you get the gist!

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 22:03:55

It's the modern version, lemon, the old style ones were just called a locution, it's only now that the new ones are elocution. [

lemongrove Mon 07-Jan-19 21:50:15

In that case, I hope you learned to play it well.?

PECS Mon 07-Jan-19 21:47:50

The impact of my elocution lessons can be heard in the recordings! shock

I chose elocution when my dad said I could choose an extra class. I knew what a piano and violin was but I had not heard of an elocution! grin

lemongrove Mon 07-Jan-19 21:35:23

PECS I once heard a recording of my voice and was surprised, as it didn’t sound as my voice sounds to me when I speak ( the recording sounded better) grin
Unsure which is the true voice, but I suppose we all hear things differently.

lemongrove Mon 07-Jan-19 21:32:22

Must admit, I have never wondered how GN members sound, and although I have met and chatted with quite a few of you, cannot now summon up how you actually sound.?
So, no strong accents I am guessing.

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 20:12:45

BTW, there are some members who have met me, and therefore know how I sound!

PECS Mon 07-Jan-19 20:07:06

I am always surprised when I hear my voice on a recording..it is not how I think I sound!

merlotgran Mon 07-Jan-19 19:33:36

My mother used to sound like Margot Leadbetter, especially when she thought she was being ignored. grin

If you caught her standing on her own (a very rare occurrence) at a family get together and asked if she was alright you'd more than likely get,

' Oh, hello stranger! I appear to be in splendid isolation.'

Funny though it was, you didn't dare laugh. Well, not to her face anyway. grin

ginny Mon 07-Jan-19 19:27:43

Of course I don’t have an accent. Born in and early years on Middsex. Then Hertfordshire and for the last 40 years Buckinghamshire.
When I am up North or down in the West Country I have often been referred to as having a ‘posh’ accent.
I love hearing different accents although I like some better than others.

MawBroon Mon 07-Jan-19 19:07:32

I have been scouring YouTube for a clip of Peter Sellers as Fred Kite in “I’m All Right Jack”
Alas, without much success.

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 19:03:51

PS "posh & authoritative" makes me think of Margot Leadbetter in the Good Life, and I'm definitely NOTHING like her!

phoenix Mon 07-Jan-19 19:01:46

Well, callgirl1 I suppose my speaking voice is what I would regard as accentless, although apparently that is impossible!

However, when I was a riding instructor, I could make my voice heard across an Olympic sized dressage arena without actually "shouting" (it's all in the projection, darling, from the diaphragm, not the throat! wink )

varian Mon 07-Jan-19 18:40:05

I have to admit that after many years away from Glasgow, I still have a Glaswegian accent. Not Billy Connolly or Rab C Nesbit, more Kirsty Wark, with just a hint (I am sorry to say) of Laura Kuenssberg.

callgirl1 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:42:25

Ah but Phoenix, are you posh and authoritative?

Parsley3 Mon 07-Jan-19 15:42:20

I love the infinite variety of accents in the UK. Mine is probably a mix of Central/Highland/West of Scotland. I tend to pick up the accent of wherever I am living at the time.

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 14:05:04

but not by

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 14:03:27

What a coincidence NannyJan DH and me are both Birmingham born and bred by when we moved closer to the Black Country, we could hardly understand a word people said!

jenpax Mon 07-Jan-19 13:56:29

I wonder how people imagine I speak ?

NannyJan53 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:45:22

Yes, KatyK* I am Black Country aye I smile

Often strangers think I am from Birmingham, but they are different accents.

We were in Stamford last week, and chatting to a couple who sat nearby. She was from Surrey, but my Partner immediately recognised her husbands accent as from Birmingham area. Turned out in grew up in the Walmley area of Sutton Coldfield (same as partner) and they had a good chat about growing up in that area.

paddyann Mon 07-Jan-19 13:24:22

My aunt is from Newport South Wales Annie she's been in Scotland for over 70 years and still has her Welsh accent,

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 11:37:23

And mine's a Brummie, not Black Country - they're different. smile

Mamissimo Mon 07-Jan-19 10:50:28

Oim ampshire.....?