Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I meet someone new?

(57 Posts)
Deni1963 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:41:14

I'm hoping you lovely grans remember me. It's been a year since I found out my ex was having an affair and she was pregnant. He's 52 and I was 54. We don't have children together. Two weeks later a second woman messaged me, he was also having an affair with her. The first terminated the pregnancy.
It's been one of the hardest years of my life, all I believed in totally crushed. I've managed to get back on my feet, and move on, and feel ready to meet someone else.
But dating sites have so far left me feeling this isn't the way for me, I've had maybe 12 dates and just not connecting.
I work as a nanny to a special needs child so don't meet men through work, and although I go out with friends etc, I don't seem to meet men I really want to date.
It's a whole new game. I'm not one to rush into bed with a man, yet this seems to be the course now, I don't even want to discuss sexually preferences etc, yet most men seem to just want to talk about sex! I'm not a prude at all, but don't see why I need to talk about it all before we've met.
So where do I meet someone new? I'm 55 now, and wondering if I will just not have another relationship.

Esmerelda Tue 08-Jan-19 10:03:12

If you like gardening (or even want to learn more about how best to do things in a garden) I'd suggest you volunteer at a local community garden. The people are great and there are always lots of men around who, if they are not too keen on growing things, just love to build raised beds or help restore greenhouses/outbuildings. My lot are a very social bunch so we are always having parties and events!

Coconut Tue 08-Jan-19 10:15:15

Over 50’s Meet Up groups are in many areas now and I’ve had a few nights out with them, theatre, concerts, dancing, meals etc they cater for most tastes. Try Singles holidays too, I’ve had some lovely ones and met some really nice people. Unfortunately many people just view dating sites as a quick route for sex, and any man who starts talking about sex before you have even met him, needs to be avoided at all costs. One day at a time, make a bucket list and just fill your life with whatever gives you pleasure.

Gilly1952 Tue 08-Jan-19 10:21:17

I’m on a couple of dating sites and never been sent a “dick pic” I don’t know whether I should be relieved - or disappointed!!

POF is free and seems to attract some strange men!
(and women, so I’ve been told).

Am fed up of kissing frogs............

vickya Tue 08-Jan-19 11:00:46

The suggestions of evening classes, other interest classes and U3A were ones I was thinking of too, and the gardening is a good idea, as well as other kinds of volunteering. You never know who is in that kind of group or who you'd meet through them. If you visit old people to chat or help they might have a nice son ;). I used to be a hospital radio DJ years ago and hospitals do need volunteers to help raise fund, Hospital Friends, run the shops and run the radio station apart from being DJS, and going round to get requests from wards. I found there were more men than women there, although I was married and not looking for a partner. They were very nice people too.Most volunteer group members tend to be,.

Legs55 Tue 08-Jan-19 11:12:38

I was widowed at 57 almost 6 years ago after 23 years together (21 married). I love male company but have no desire to find H no4. I lost the "love of my life" but do not spend my days grieving.

I moved to a new area 4 years ago so I had to make new friends, I recommend Meet Up groups, one group is mainly female but there are some male members (growing slowly) we meet for coffee, lunches, theatre trips etc, I also belong to another group which is made up of singles, couples & a mix of age groups, I've had some nice Lunches & week-ends away.

I have a few male friends who I chat to frequently. If anybody tries matchmaking I just laugh & say "I'm not training another one & I'm not changing my (very unusual) surname"hmm

Esspee Tue 08-Jan-19 11:13:45

It is seven years since I met my now OH on a dating website and I have to say not one of the correspondents who wrote to me, nor any of the few I dated, mentioned sex or sent any objectionable photos.
I am only mentioning this as I found it an ideal way to meet new people.

Nandee Tue 08-Jan-19 11:15:21

Just to add I am currently doing online dating with Match.com. Have been in email contact with a guy and we hope to meet up soon. It does take a leap of faith but i know several people who have met online. 3 are now married and the other is going off on a long haul holiday. Personally u have only had I dodgy message but that person was blocked and removed from site.
Of course you have to be careful with your information and where you meet etc and I would only use the paid sites.
Good luck in your quest

Purplepoppies Tue 08-Jan-19 11:30:10

I have just dipped my toe in the water of online dating. I've been single for a very long time. In the past I've not picked well when it comes to men. I'm hoping I've wised up.... I've been on two dates so far. One gent was very nice, but not for me. The second guy is more my thing. But I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. If he is interested he will take things at my pace.
I haven't had any dick pics but I have had some odd questions and offers from men who want to come to my house.... errrr no!!!
I hope you find a situation whereby you meet a nice man. I don't really go anywhere to meet new people so online dating seemed the way for me. It's a free site but not POF. Good luck ?

Ashcombe Tue 08-Jan-19 12:18:55

I hope the joining of hobby groups appeals to you and may I suggest considering the local amateur theatre companies? You may not wish to act but there are many backstage jobs (wardrobe, Props, Prompt, stage crew,etc) or Front of House stewarding or refreshments.
Good luck!

newnanny Tue 08-Jan-19 12:32:04

Friends of National Trust have a walking group Ambles and Rambles. Ambles (Wednesday) are 4-5 miles and Rambles (Saturday) 8-10 miles. Both meet once each week and ends with lunch at pub. At our group their are always nice gentlemen who are unattached and seem friendly. Also coffee mornings, book sales and lectures on interesting things too. Many events at weekends. You could try a new hobby or interest group. Evening classes might be good. Could you ask friends if they could introduce you to more people in general.

sodapop Tue 08-Jan-19 12:39:50

I met my current husband via an ad in the local paper, we have been married 13 years now. Dating sites were not really an option then. I agree with others, join groups with similar interests to you, volunteer somewhere etc. Look at enlarging your friendship circle initially before looking for a relationship. Good luck.

inishowen Tue 08-Jan-19 12:40:32

My friend met a new man through a church walking group. They are both in their seventies.

LadyLucan Tue 08-Jan-19 13:13:07

I met my current husband online but we chatted for ages before we met and so knew quite a bit about each other and our circumstances
We mainly chatted as we lived far apart and actually found that better than dating the guy around the corner so to speak xx
Good luck with the dating game , having been there and got the tea shirt I know how you feel xxx

Chocolatenoodle8 Tue 08-Jan-19 13:36:08

How about an evening class? Creative writing? I divorced my first husband and 5yrs later (but not ready or looking) I enrolled with the local advanced driving group. There was a guy with a lovely smile...... we’ve now been married 24yrs. Good luck

Willow10 Tue 08-Jan-19 13:39:20

After 30 years on my own I've come to the conclusion - men are like parking spaces. The best ones are already taken! grin

sandye Tue 08-Jan-19 13:50:15

My husband of 43 years cheated on me. For 2 years I was just at a loss. Lost 2 jobs through it as I could not concentrate. I joined on line dating but will agree that it's just a 'sleep with me site'. One man said 'I will treat you to dinner and hotel if the next morning it's not working, nothing lost'!! Well I told him if he want a prostitute hes looking in the wrong place!. I had just given up hope and canceled my subscription when I met a local man. We waited 6 months before we slept together and if he's the right man he will wait. We have now been together 3 years and have just bought a joint bungalow. Don't give up, the right man is out there. He will find you. What about night classes of some sort?

GrandmaChan69 Tue 08-Jan-19 14:15:48

Totally agree wit ya blush @Teetime

Rutheleanor Tue 08-Jan-19 14:30:07

A friend of mine discovered her husband had been having an affair for 14 years. After the breakup she eventually tried internet dating. She met 30 men and married the 31st and is now very happy. I took her as an inspiration and tried the internet myself and am now extremely happy with the 5th man I met. So I would say keep up with the dating using a reputable site while also following the other useful advice here.
Best of luck!

pen50 Tue 08-Jan-19 15:43:20

Another happy user of online dating here. Went on lots of first dates, had a couple of short term relationships which didn't work out, and have now been six months with a lovely chap; we're planning to be living together by the end of the year. Don't give up!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 08-Jan-19 16:54:20

I am a happy user of a social group for single people. It was wonderful I had so much true friendship and support and eventually married my best friend. Walking groups, cycling and any mixed interest groups. Just get out there.

Greciangirl Tue 08-Jan-19 17:09:54

My husband died when I was sixty years old.
Shortly after that I started going out clubbing with my girlfriends.
We had a lot of fun and I met some interesting men,
Some good, some not so good.

I am currently with my partner of twelve years who I met in a club.

I’m so glad I didn’t have to resort to internet dating.

karenGalaxy Tue 08-Jan-19 17:35:47

I think night clubs ,dance is what brings couples together and music .

moggie57 Tue 08-Jan-19 21:19:35

try local groups ,there would be a list of them in your local library.a walking group/photography/etc. dont rush into looking for a new person. it will happen.when you least expecting it.

Carole28 Wed 09-Jan-19 09:34:35

I was divorced in my fifties and through the advice of a friend went to a dancing group. I actually went to modern jive - sometimes called ceroc. It's very sociable and you can go on your own and feel quite comfortable. I met loads of new friends and eventually met someone I wanted to be with. On the plus side it keeps you fit and music and dancing have a feel good factor. You can find classes in your area on the internet.

Allgoodnamesaregone Thu 10-Jan-19 22:15:03

I met my second husband through a dating site. He is my ex now...but we were together 13 years before we split.
About a year after he left I joined match.com...some men were dicks. I did have a couple of nice dates though . Then I had a date with a widower....for the past 19 months he has been my wonderful boyfriend. My dd10 & his ds12 get on really well together. We don't live together but spend weekends and holidays at each other's houses, he is my best friend. Sometimes online dating can have a happy ending.