Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does this sound like alzheimers/dementia

(35 Posts)
mrsnonsmoker Tue 08-Jan-19 23:28:36

My husband is 62 retired 2 years ago. I suppose his "confusion" has crept up but it doesn't sound like classic alzheimers etc so dont know what to do. He is unable to plan or anticipate and if anything is not as it normally is, he gets very angry. So for example, if we are going on a journey he finds it impossible to look at a map or set the sat nav, or decide what might make planning easier. We are both very experienced drivers in a highly built up city area so if there's a traffic hold up I can say ok shall we go way x y or z and he just goes to pieces, he can't decide and then blames me.

He was meant to measure out of a dose of medicine for my daughter who is too unwell to measure her own, he was trying to give her 4 times the prescribed dose and his justification was that solids and liquid measurement - so milligrammes and millilitres - are completely interchangeable so you can give 10 milligrammes or 10 millilitres and it doesn't matter shock

Then yesterday we were listening to some music and it had a jazz trumpet playing over it, totally incongruent think baroque hymns with jazz trumpet and I mentioned it was unusual; he said "don't be stupid its a hand bell!!" and was really nasty miming ringing a hand bell in my face.

I could give dozens of examples like this; he can't do any planning at all, what do they call it, loss of executive function? He will often mishear or misunderstand and then cause all sorts of problems because he refuses to admit he is wrong.

Surely this sort of issue shouldn't come up early 60s? His father had dementia at this age but even so I didn't think that automatically meant he'd go the same way?

Madgran77 Thu 10-Jan-19 20:57:04

It does sound like he needs further investigation. I'm afraid what you describe is exactly what was observed in my friends Mum prior to diagnosis. A difficult and very worrying time for you flowers

Willow500 Thu 10-Jan-19 21:44:04

Both my parents had AZ/dementia and the symptoms varied in both of them. If your husband is willing to go to the GP perhaps you could visit the doctor on your own beforehand to go through all the things you describe. He may recommend a referral to a memory clinic to get a better diagnosis and possible treatment. The earlier this happens the better.

mrsnonsmoker Thu 10-Jan-19 23:39:17

Just checked in to say thanks again. I am thinking about how to approach this, very glad I posted.

Razzy Fri 11-Jan-19 00:14:42

It could be other things too - alot of this is similar to my dad, he was diagnosed with COPD, the lack if oxygen getting to his brain probably had a similar effect to alzheimers. So just to say, keep an open mind and let the Dr work out what is wrong.

Grannyknot Fri 11-Jan-19 06:43:08

Hi mrsnonsmoker my MIL was 64 when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I remember the day I knew something was wrong, when she couldn't for the life of her work out how to cut I quiche into 5 pieces. She was a professional woman who had raised six children. She was diagnosed later that same year, having said herself that "something is wrong with her head".

As others have said, it seems a medical check up is needed.

flowers and all the best.

Grannyknot Fri 11-Jan-19 06:43:57

Cut a quiche ...

Luckygirl Fri 11-Jan-19 09:06:31

Well quite!

OurKid1 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:34:49

There aren't any 'classic' symptoms of dementia which makes diagnosis difficult. The only sure way is to see a doctor, who may order a scan.
There are other causes of your DH's symptoms though - a B12 deficiency comes to mind, as does depression and anxiety.
Get him to the GP - even though it might be difficult.
Also, as someone else has said, check out the Alzheimer's Society website - loads of information there. They have a phone number you can ring just for advice too.
PS We missed the early signs of dementia in both my parents - their symptoms presenting as just a more extreme expression of their personalities. If we had known earlier, we could have saved ourselves a lot of stress and been more understanding towards them. For that reason, if no other, please get a diagnosis - soon.
Good luck whatever the outcome. xx

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 14:40:49

It’s only really those that live with someone 24/7 who first detect the signs. People can go days or meet people and come across as perfectly relational and complete. Then something happens at home and you start to worry.

An example is when I’ve discussed something in detail with DH just the day before eg we are having a new bed delivered that we had picked out together. It was due at lunchtime so we’d agreed that the old bed in the spare room needed to be dismantled first thing next morning so the delivery company could take it away (as agreed) with them. Next day DH didn’t remember there was a new bed even being delivered and insisted he’d never helped choose it. He refused to dismantle the old bed and then was completely taken back when the new one did arrive. Just one of many examples I could have given.

Visit to GP asked him silly questions about who is PM and what day is it. Passed with flying colours.

That was several years ago. Now officially, eventually, diagnosed with vascular dementia.

The signs are there when you live 24/7 with someone you know well. Takes much longer to get it across to the health,professionals especially when the sufferer doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with them,