Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Washing 'washable' kitchen mats in the washing machine

(12 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 14-Jan-19 18:55:19

Never had any problems washing rubber backed mats but be wary about tumble drying them. I only did it once.
The rubber shredded itself off the backs, stuck to the dryer's heating element and caught fire. I not only had to replace the mats but the tumble dryer, too.?

Grandmama Mon 14-Jan-19 18:18:53

Thank you for all your advice, really helpful. Using the machine will be so much easier than scrubbing mats in the bath and will get them much cleaner. Thank you again.

BlueSapphire Sat 12-Jan-19 22:04:51

Yes, I have put both my front and back door mats in together and have no problems. Oh, that's a good idea Maggie, I should put the cats' bedding in as well.

merlotgran Sat 12-Jan-19 21:59:40

Crumbs! Yes. With two dogs, a cat and a large garden to work in our rubber backed kitchen mats are in and out of the washing machine all the time.

No problems.

Maggiemaybe Sat 12-Jan-19 21:50:55

We have heavy rubber-backed mats at the front and back doors, and wash and tumble dry them every week with the cat’s basket and blankets. The tumble dryer filter is always full of cat hair afterwards, but there’s been no damage to either machine, or the mats.

sodapop Sat 12-Jan-19 20:48:08

Yes I put mine in the washing machine -no problems.

Greyduster Sat 12-Jan-19 20:39:14

We have a five foot runner in our hall that has a rubber back and it is perfectly okay in the washing machine. My DD has several and also machine washes them.

EllanVannin Sat 12-Jan-19 20:32:14

The only thing that happens in time is the rubber back perishing/shredding with constant washing. You just wing it out then, in the bin.

MiniMoon Sat 12-Jan-19 20:27:18

I regularly washed a hall runner with a rubber backing. Before my dog died she had become incontinent and she slept in her bed in the hall. It did the washing machine no harm at all, and my machine has a small drum.

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:32:47

I would not put the mats in the machine on their own because that would/could unbalance the machine. When I am washing items like that I put other old items in the machine to bulk it up a bit with lighter items if that makes sense,

cornergran Sat 12-Jan-19 18:14:47

We do. Initially mats from our caravan, now those used internally at home. Two are door mat sized the other slightly smaller than the one you describe. I can’t say whether or not the mats hasten the demise of a washing machine, only that ours seems to cope ok.

Grandmama Sat 12-Jan-19 18:10:58

I've just bought a kitchen runner, 150cm long with a non-slip backing. DH traipses in and out so it will need washing from time to time. Like most kitchen mats it's machine washable but I'm worried about damaging my elderly but reliable machine. The only mats I've machine washed are two very small mats with fairly light weight rubber backing. The back door mat has a very heavy rubber backing and is supposed to be machine washable but I soak it in the bath and then scrub and scrub and scrub it rather than risk the machine.

Have any grans washed 'washable' kitchen mats with rubber backing in a domestic washing machine?