Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stockpiling?

(89 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 13-Jan-19 07:33:53

Yesterday the woman in front of me at Waitrose had a trolley filled with larder items - I jokingly mentioned Brexit and she replied yes she was preparing and very worried shock

She was mid-40s and looked normal!

In anticipation of Tuesday's vote, is anyone stocking-up?

fiorentina51 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:34:51

Reminds me of the shortages caused by the 3 day week back in the 70s. That's when I gave up using sugar, couldn't be bothered to queue for a bag of the stuff.

Nonnie Sun 13-Jan-19 11:40:40

That explains why the supermarket profits were up at the end of 2018.

I do have extra meds though because I need them to survive and the doctor asked me if I wanted them. Wouldn't have happened when the pharmacist was in charge of what I had and when. He wouldn't have let me have more than I need.

Telly Sun 13-Jan-19 11:41:51

Yup! Stockpiling here! The Government is, as is M & S and Tesco so following their lead I will not be out of the essentials of life ie tea and coffee. I personally think it's going to be mayhem but my major concern is medications.

Beau Sun 13-Jan-19 11:51:22

Not at all, it's all scaremongering nonsense imo.

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:57:30

Do tea and coffee come from Europe Telly?
Didn’t think so nut am prepared to be wrong!

I was reading an article in the paper last week about a shortage of toilet rolls. The journalist (a brexiteer) went on to say that as we would all be starving we wouldn’t need them anyway. Sums it up IMO?

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:57:56

That would be but not nut!

NanaandGrampy Sun 13-Jan-19 12:05:34

I shall just buy local and what's in season. Job done ! :-)

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 12:12:50

I do a 'big' shop for basics: tinned goods, cleaning stuff, flour, rice , pasta, tea, coffee etc. every 6-8 weeks or so anyway. I stack it away in cupboards and buy fresh goods on daily need basis. I have just done a big order for Monday delivery.. maybe I should go back and double it.. I have until 2:15 to amend the order!!
I do think some things will eventually be in short supply post Brexit. We will just all learn to readjust or pay higher prices and look back in tears to come on forums and say do you remember the good old days.....

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 12:13:39

Freudian slip! YEARS not TEARS !!!

Anja Sun 13-Jan-19 12:42:24

Pamela surly we grow our own tea and coffee? ?

Telly Sun 13-Jan-19 13:05:55

I am thinking more about giving the shops a miss, I think it is the deliveries that will be a problem.

MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 13:13:14

Woolton Pie, anyone ?
What if we run out of Wooltons? ????

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 13:25:55

Currently many(most?) of our imported goods are imported based on trade agreements with EU. Like any economy of scale if 20 people want to buy from the same supplier they can negotiate a discount and get priority. If I want to buy the same thing, but just me, I have to wait for the bigger order to be fulfilled. As I am just little me I do not get discount either! Negotiating with World Trade Organisation will take time and again we are a small consumer so not so important! Is how I read it anyway!

petra Sun 13-Jan-19 13:57:34

Telly
I think you need to educate yourself as to where your tea and coffee come from.
It might put your mind at rest.

MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 14:07:35

Wot no pie? Fresh out of Wooltons?
Waldorf salad then? Don’t tell me!

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 14:09:54

And Ceasers have been hard to come by for a while wink

grannyqueenie Sun 13-Jan-19 14:25:47

Budge up maw it’s getting a bit crowded in your B****t cupboard!

humptydumpty Sun 13-Jan-19 14:25:48

Only concerned about meds - making sure nothing on repeat prescription is about to run out.

cornergran Sun 13-Jan-19 14:48:45

Wish our surgery would allow stockpiling of Mr C's medication. Vital for his wellbeing, could be ambulance unwell without it. The pharmacist explained from whence it came and yes, there could well be supply disruption. Our surgery won't agree to an early repeat prescription so we will just have to hope. As Mr C says, worrying won't change anything.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Jan-19 14:53:09

Tea and coffee????don’t tell me you haven’t got a tea tree in the garden Telly or a coffee bush thought everyone had one

M0nica Sun 13-Jan-19 14:59:53

Remember the Millenium Bug (Brexit)? All the world's computers were going to collapse on the stroke of midnight on 31 December 1999 ( all systems will break down on 19th March 2019) and we would (will) descend into crisis with food shortages, medicine shortages, failure of all Emergency services.

What actually happened (will happen)? zilch, nada, nothing

SueDonim Sun 13-Jan-19 15:02:40

I wasn't aware of this trend for stockpiling, except for meds, until earlier this month. I've seen a suggested list which included such arcane items as 2 x packs of stuffing and 2 x trifle kits!

If the situation ends up that dire, I doubt I'll be faffing around making trifle. confused

Charleygirl5 Sun 13-Jan-19 15:09:43

As we will be staying in the EU, no point fussing. I have consulted my crystal ball and it has never been wrong- watch this space. I do not charge much if you want to know anything.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Jan-19 15:27:30

janea have you tried British organic cold-pressed rapeseed oil?
It has a higher 'smoke point' than olive oil too

#poshtotty

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Jan-19 15:35:35

Remember the toilet roll shortage of the ?1970s (a manufactured shortage apparently)?

I intend to stockpile all DH'S magazines ready to cut into squares to hang on a hook on the lavatory door [smug]