Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bed for toddler GS to sleep over

(14 Posts)
Grandma2213 Thu 17-Jan-19 01:26:36

We used a blow up bed too when they were little. Then we bought a fold up bed with mattress which can be pushed into a corner when not in use. I think it was about £40 roughly 8 years ago and is still in regular use. It was pushed against a wall with cushions on the floor at the side when they were likely to fall out. Daddy uses it quite a bit when they climb into his bed so it could be used as a guest bed too!!!

harrigran Wed 16-Jan-19 22:13:05

I just used the double bed in the spare room and fitted cot sides, GC slept like that from two years old.
When we went on holiday I bought a sheet that had pockets down either side, inflatable rolls went inside of the pocket, GC could not roll out of bed.

Jalima1108 Wed 16-Jan-19 19:59:33

My DGC had a toddler bed complete with duvet, something like this one - easily transportable too:
Available from the big river place and other outlets I think

MawBroon Wed 16-Jan-19 19:51:59

I bought an inflatable child bed for 4 1/2 year old DGD at Christmas and then 2 1/2 year old DGS. Not a “ready bed” but the sort of LILO shape with very slightly raised sides and a flocked finish. It would suit any child up to pre teens perfectly easily without being too “babyish” and is proving really useful. I bought it from A***on for about £14-15 and also a stretch towelling sheet to fit over the top. Perfect,

cornergran Wed 16-Jan-19 18:29:49

Think Id go for the inflatable bed if you've room for it. Having said that our older two went into a standard bed with bed guard once they grew out of a travel cot. What does he sleep in at home? Perhaps be guided by which option will encourage a good nights sleep.

silverlining48 Wed 16-Jan-19 18:25:42

I have the same one biker, a bargain, I can even get into it and only have to bend knees slightly to fit.

bikergran Mon 14-Jan-19 17:40:28

I bought a blow up toddler bed for gs whos 4 hes been using it for 2 years..it has a seperate blow up mattress and the sides inflate (it is a bit like one of those inflatable regtangular shaped paddling pools.

Its beige in colour and is flocked.

Got it from Aldi £19.99 they did have them in store a few weeks ago.
You can inflate it deflate it when needed and it comes with its own bag. its plenty big enough almost 3ft wide.

Mycatisahacker Mon 14-Jan-19 16:50:18

We have a toddler mattress on the floor with duvet and pillows around. Dgs is nearly 3, no need for bed guards as he’s already on the floor.

He loves it and calls it ‘little bed’ grin

Jalima1108 Mon 14-Jan-19 16:29:14

Do be careful with a bed guard, particularly if he is restless sleeper. We know of one which flipped over, landing on top of the child. She was OK but it could have been worse.

At 2 he should be fine in a bed but I would recommend a stair gate

shysal Mon 14-Jan-19 16:20:32

I used an inflatable Ready Bed with built in sleeping bag, and example shown in the link. They don't take up much floor space and there is no danger of falling out.
www.amazon.co.uk/Readybed-Peppa-First-Polyester-Cotton-Multi/dp/B076F8D33K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=inflatable+kids+bed&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1547482555&sr=8-9

Bathsheba Mon 14-Jan-19 14:19:37

I'd be inclined to put guards on the double bed in the spare room. As your GS is two he should be fine. I wouldn't feel inclined to spend out on a cot bed which he wouldn't be using for very long - my GD went into a proper bed when she was 2yrs 4mos.

Help your daughter to organise her things in her bedroom, so that she doesn't need to use the spare room as well!

silverlining48 Mon 14-Jan-19 13:56:17

We bought a cot bed which extended and our 6 yo gds still uses it sometimes but it’s getting small for him and it sits in the room all the time taking up space. If the child is already 2 I might go with the big bed with bedguard and extra cushions on the floor, plus stair gate. my friend has two of her gcs in one double without the guards and cushions or stair gates, they stay over often and there havnt been any accidents.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Jan-19 13:02:28

A cot/bed. It's a cot that turns into a bed when the child doesn't need cot-sides.

twiglet77 Mon 14-Jan-19 12:26:37

My DGS is just two and on the couple of occasions he has stayed the night with me, he has slept in my (4'6 double) bed. I put a pool noodle under the sheet on his side and I have a king size flat sheet under the duvet, which I tucked in around him. At home he has a cot bed, with the cot sides still up. He's still in nappies so wetting isn't a problem yet!

My spare room has a double bed and not much floor space, my younger DD still lives at home and she uses it as her dressing room. It's likely I'm going to have DGS here much more often and I'm wondering how best to accommodate him - an inflatable toddler bed on the floor of my room, or in the spare room with a proper bed guard, and a stair gate. What works for other grans?