Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Surprise Phone Call

(29 Posts)
Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 13:45:58

I got a call from my DIL yesterday. We don't have a close relationship and she never calls except to ask for babysitting. I couldn't answer but my daughter got a call next. She's letting everyone know she got breast implants last week. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to respond when she calls me today.

BlueBelle Thu 17-Jan-19 13:50:02

Tell her they will be wonderful if she ever falls on her face

Madgran77 Thu 17-Jan-19 13:52:13

BlueBelle Ha ha ha!!
Bekind I suggest you ask how it went, is she ok and is she pleased with the result, and make no other comment/give no other opinion!!!

NonnaW Thu 17-Jan-19 13:52:28

Just ask her if she’s happy with them, then tell her you are happy for her if it makes her happy.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Jan-19 13:54:52

If that is what she wants and they make her happy, be happy for her. Ask if there is anything she needs as she will be limited in what she is able to do for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully she will appreciate your support.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Jan-19 14:14:57

Be careful when wearing a brooch.

PECS Thu 17-Jan-19 14:23:41

Oh! Well I suppose general hope you are feeling ok and pleased with the outcome. Agree with others that you make no comment other than that!

annep Thu 17-Jan-19 14:33:40

Try not to laugh.
I'm sorry. I can't think how I would respond. other than "Oh. right. ok"

Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 14:39:03

I know, right? Awkward!

Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 14:40:28

That is really funny! Makes me relax!

Buffybee Thu 17-Jan-19 14:40:44

She might be fore warning you Bekind for when you next see her, with huge boobs, like Jordan! grin
When she rings say, "That's nice dear".
Ha! Only joking!

MissAdventure Thu 17-Jan-19 14:41:55

Buy her a card, saying 'Its twins!'

sodapop Thu 17-Jan-19 14:47:36

Oh dear there is no set response to a statement like that is there. Could be a very patronising " that's nice dear" as Buffybee said.
Can't get the image of Jordan out of my head now smile

JackyB Thu 17-Jan-19 14:53:19

If she's your DiL, she must be married to your son. I would be wondering what he thinks.

Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 15:03:41

I REALLY feel awkward talking to my son about it! I'll be seeing them on Saturday since I'm babysitting for them. They are going to a company party. Guess it will be the big reveal! smile

paddyann Thu 17-Jan-19 15:06:09

Maybe she's had issues with small breasts .I have aclose friend who always says she has never felt"womanly" because she was an A cup ,I on the other hand was a double d and desperate to be smaller .Thankfully I lost weight and went down to a c/d cup .Just tell her you hope it does what she hopes it will .Its not the big deal it used to be

mumofmadboys Thu 17-Jan-19 15:08:25

It is good you are forewarned of the call. Avoid saying anything disapproving at all. Good luck. I can imagine it would be difficult having any conversation with your son about it.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Jan-19 15:38:15

It’s essentially no different from having something done to your teeth or having a new hair colour or style.
I would just ask if she’s pleased with the outcome.
If she is, I’d say ‘great!’ in an enthusiastic tone.
If she says no, then I’d say something reassuring like ‘I expect the change will take a bit of getting used to.’
Supplementary questions could be along the lines of ‘have you been in much discomfort?’ ‘How did they decide what size to give you?’

What I would want to know is whether the procedure necessitates buying a whole new wardrobe full of tops, but I’m not sure I’d actually ask thatgrin

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 16:37:48

well, a whole new lot of bras at least!

Perhaps she has had self-esteem issues and this may boost her self-confidence.
Unless she ends up looking enormous a la Jordan, just say 'that looks really good, dear'.

Alima Thu 17-Jan-19 16:51:10

When you say “seeing them” on Saturday is that the couple or the new boobies? Wouldn’t like to be shown.

M0nica Thu 17-Jan-19 17:00:50

Perhaps she rang you because if she didn't tell you, you might not notice, beyond a vague feeling she looked slightly different. Imagine spending all that money and then no-one noticing grin

Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 17:23:23

Very good advice from everyone, and a little levity! I'll let you all know how it goes!

annep Thu 17-Jan-19 21:49:51

I don't think it's the same as a new hairstyle.

FarNorth Thu 17-Jan-19 21:55:23

Maybe she didn't want people squinting at her, wondering if she'd had an op or just got a padded bra?

Bekind Thu 17-Jan-19 23:39:31

I think it's a little different because it is major surgery! Always a risk.