Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Like button. Would this reduce conversations?

(48 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Jan-19 22:21:10

During my fairly short time on here, there have been quite a few requests for a 'like' button and I wonder, apart from the obvious time saved in typing a proper endorsement of the views posted, what the positives would be.
Anonymity would mean that the poster would not know whose views coincided with theirs, thus, the ability to give a response would be lost.
Does anyone have other ideas as to the positive aspects of GNHQ facilitating the use of such a button?

maryeliza54 Wed 23-Jan-19 22:27:58

Rubbish idea. Not worth discussing

merlotgran Wed 23-Jan-19 22:30:40

A 'like' button would only work if all the 'likes' are lumped together in a block like they are on facebook otherwise you could get a whole page of 'likes' and nothing else.

There could also be a problem with somebody agreeing with something by posting an inappropriate 'like'

Eg., 'I'm suing the funeral parlour for dropping my father's coffin on the steps of the crematorium.'

'LIKE' grin

KatyK Wed 23-Jan-19 22:40:44

Why do we need to reduce conversations?

GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Jan-19 22:50:33

KatyK
I didn't say there was a need to reduce anything.
I 'said' that people who don't, at the time of reading, have time to leave a comment, might opt to give a 'like' instead, as an acknowledgement that someone has read and agreed with the post.
There would be no point in 'liking' and leaving a comment.

NfkDumpling Wed 23-Jan-19 22:54:28

Sometimes reading through a thread I will find a post I really agree with but the conversation has moved on. Then I feel I would like a ‘like’ button just to appreciate that post. To put a comment on saying I agree with Soandso’s post of three pages ago wouldn’t be appropriate.

GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Jan-19 22:59:49

NfkDumpling
I agree. Referring to an earlier post can get confusing. smile

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Jan-19 23:00:15

Nfk like!

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 23:02:38

I'm not sure that it would reduce conversations Gabriella - after all, we are a fairly opinionated lot and like to have our say wink!

On balance, I would say 'no' to a like button.

GabriellaG54 Thu 24-Jan-19 00:22:23

Jalima1108
I can see GN going the way of fb if they install 'like' icons.?

MissAdventure Thu 24-Jan-19 00:32:35

I couldn't just 'like' someone else's reply and leave it at that.
I would have to put my two pence worth in as well.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Jan-19 04:23:26

When I was newish and more sensitive I felt invisible I thought I was disliked because I didn’t get any comments directed to me, of course as I got more used to forum life I realised that’s just how it is and even people who ve been here since day dot don’t always get direct answers or comments, a like button would have been very useful as I would have felt included even without any direct comments

However having said that I think an EDIT button is much more necessary than a like button

Alima Thu 24-Jan-19 06:33:37

It could turn out to be non representative of “like” depending where the actual button would be. I am left handed. On FB that is the hand I scroll with. Ended up “liking” no end of rubbish as my finger hits the button.

Jessity Thu 24-Jan-19 08:00:23

LIKE for Bluebelle’s post. I’m new, I feel invisible and wonder if I’ve said something silly or witless or obvious. A LIKE button enables you to indicate that you share someone’s view, instead of an additional post that simply says I agree and adds nothing more to the discussion.

An EDIT button is even more useful, particularly for busy people who sometimes lack time to proofread.

KatyK Thu 24-Jan-19 09:56:36

I see "Gabriella*

Teetime Thu 24-Jan-19 10:25:58

I agree with NFLDumpling and would use this facility. I do think its worth discussing!

Anja Thu 24-Jan-19 10:34:46

I don’t think GNHQ trust us with a like button. Personally I’d like a few buttons. I’m sure if I could simply press a ?? it would express succinctly what I felt without resorting to words I might regret. Likewise a ?? would indicate support. It would be especially useful when the post is a long way upthread and the thread has moved on,

GNHQ is getting a bit better but they do tend to treat us like semi-demented inhabitants of an Old People’s Home...?

Cabbie21 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:36:07

I agree with NFL Dumpling, Bluebelle and Jessity.
I would have liked their posts if we had such a button.

maryeliza54 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:36:18

GNHQ will never introduce it and quite rightly.

Blinko Thu 24-Jan-19 10:39:01

I think GN has vetoed an edit button, because once a post is edited, some of the responses to the original version might not make sense...

A 'Like' button, OTOH, would be useful provided it was located with the post that's 'Liked'.

GabriellaG54 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:49:38

Yes Blinko quite right.
Someone upthread wrote that it would mean we didn't have to scroll back or refer others to the particular comment we were, at a later time, ?ing but that doesn't make sense ? It should, as you say, be under each comment.
Anyway, I'm anti ?or? GNHQ are the arbiters in this case. It is their website after all. ?

henetha Thu 24-Jan-19 10:51:58

I would not like a like button. Please don't.

GabriellaG54 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:52:01

BTW...what does the nude coloured square icon signify? Is it only on iPhones?

maryeliza54 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:52:15

There’s a student online forum apparently that has a like button but has strict rules about how it can be used to avoid misuse and ganging up ( not that that would ever happen on GN of course). There is no sensible argument as to why if you really like someone’s post that you shouldn’t take the time to post ‘I agree with x’s post on date and time’ and maybe even say why. This is a discussion forum not a button forum - but in the world of fantasy buttons why not a bun throwing button or a stfu button as well then just to be balanced. Oh damn, I’ve ended up discussing a stupid idea - clearly bored today

GabriellaG54 Thu 24-Jan-19 11:12:28

Some people take comfort from receiving lots of ? as evinced on Facebook and other sites.
It sort of 'validates' their existence.
They feel more popular, gawd knows why.

It could be misused in order to 'gang up, as maryeliza54 mentioned but surely not on a site peopled, for the most part, by educated, rational grannies. hmmgrin