Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Redundant gran

(67 Posts)
Jacksgran Tue 26-Feb-19 22:26:35

No more school pick ups no more babysitting no more family hols need to find another life

jenwren Wed 27-Feb-19 17:19:16

One of my biggest pleasures it the freedom retirement as given me. The wealth of things to do is endless. I often say us baby boomers have never had it so good.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 27-Feb-19 17:45:53

You are never redundant as a gran. Your talents and love will be used in a different way. My 5 are all late teens and early twenties and still do things for them. Just helped my 23 year old with her knitting that she has recently learnt. GS needed advice on savings and money. We meet up for coffee at least once a month for a chat and I love it. They are now young adults needing guidance at times

Barmeyoldbat Wed 27-Feb-19 17:55:36

As for holidays, well as least one of them will come away with us when we go self catering or camping somewhere. Its time now for you to think of yourself and your interests.

granh1 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:52:24

I stopped going on holiday with grandchildren when their stamina was greater than mine! Still see them all regularly, but in small doses, so I can put up my feet afterwards!

Orelse Wed 27-Feb-19 18:52:41

Think of how much you have contributed to DGD memories and life tapestryand security and she will always know you love her ! This coming September is a huge step for us as all older grandsons will be in senior school. Ahhh... only blessing is that the youngest grandson starts school in September, so we have a few more years of school runs left , but I really feel for you , .... here's a hug ?

Irenelily Wed 27-Feb-19 18:58:24

Take heart - you never know what the future may hold. My eldest grand daughter now married with a 3 month old son visits at least once a week sometimes more and her Mum who lives a distance visits more because of the baby! As do his aunties and uncles!

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:23:51

Are you a new poster Jacksgran?

If so, welcome smile

LuckyFour Wed 27-Feb-19 19:29:55

I do feel discarded a bit as the DGC have grown up now and the family don't need us. DD and her DH have been able to keep all their friends as we have always been there for babysitting evenings and weekends so they could go away etc.
Disappointed that DD has never acknowledged how much we have done for them. Only see them occasionally now.

Fortunately we have now developed a great social life for ourselves locally, lots of friends and interesting hobbies. It's the only answer.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Feb-19 19:30:56

Smurf44 That is so sad. I do feel for you. ?

Gonegirl Wed 27-Feb-19 19:36:10

Destin I don't think we "sign up to the religion of garnish". Becoming a gran is something that happens naturally to the lucky ones amongst us. The love that comes unbidden for our grandchildren can't be avoided. No signing up involved.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Feb-19 19:36:51

granism not garnishness

Suzyb Thu 28-Feb-19 15:16:07

We became grandparents for the first time 2 years ago at 66 and 70. Although delighted for our son and DIL we weren’t over excited to be grandparents as thought we were both too old. Can’t believe how wrong we were. Our little granddaughter has brought such fun and laughter into our lives and we’re looking after her for 2 days at present. Thank goodness we both have good health! Our daughter in Australia had her first baby last year at 39 so we now have 2 granddaughters. We fly over to Melbourne in 2 weeks time to celebrate her first birthday. While many of our friends who had their grandchildren in their late 50’s and early 60’s are now redundant grandparents, we are just starting off.

CanOnlyTry Thu 28-Feb-19 15:50:41

Are you OK Jacksgran?

lemongrove Thu 28-Feb-19 17:04:53

The OP needs to tell us a bit more, hopefully she will return to the thread soon.
We are more than Mothers and Grandmothers surely?
Getting our children to the point where they fly the nest, and then our DGC too ( or old enough not to actually need us) should be looked upon as an accomplishment.

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 17:46:59

Need to find a life
If this is really all that has been keeping you going, what a waste of a life.

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Feb-19 21:23:38

Jacksgran are you still here?