Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

son and Dil

(71 Posts)
whoisthis Mon 04-Mar-19 23:02:46

My son and Dil are having problems in there marriage, they have a baby and have been married just over 2 years
. The problem she is always going to stay with her parents for weeks at a time instead of trying to fix the marriage leaving my son to look after himself and not being able to his child.

Lily65 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:30:07

nice user name, and welcome to a supportive and genuine bunch of people.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:41:47

I understand your concern, but have they asked for your advice?

If not, remember the old proverb, "Næ guid comes of meddling between man and wife."

You can still ask your son if he wants to discuss the problems with you.

Your DIL isn't Indian by any chance and regards it as natural and her right to visit her parents with her child at stated intervals?

I'm in the same kind of hobble with a daughter who says brightly, "Everything's fine" when I ask. I know it is not all fine, but she doesn't feel like confiding, which I have to respect.

ReadyMeals Tue 05-Mar-19 14:02:30

Grandtante, it's every woman's "right" to visit her parents whenever and for how long she wants! While I'd encourage every woman to think about the effects her choices might have on others, I certainly wouldn't like to have the behaviour described in this thread thought of as specifically being natural for Indian women!

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:00:35

luluaugust makes a good point - how long have they been together and how strong was their relationship before the upheaval of a baby?
Is your DIL suffering from PND?

Perhaps you could help your son to understand that adjustments may need to be made now there is a baby to consider and he may be expected to pull his weight rather more.

"Try not to take sides" is always good advice.

whoisthis Tue 05-Mar-19 21:52:11

MyDS can look after himself, i can see he is very unhappy and i can se his work suffering as a result. Child is 8 months old and she will not go back to work-my ds gets very upset when she goes home -he is unable to visit as they live distance away.in the last 2 months she has spent more time with them then with ds.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:18:22

Presumably by she will not go back to work you mean your DIL - is she still on maternity leave? Who is going to care for the baby when she does go back to work?
Are they having money worries?

She is obviously unhappy or cannot cope - they have to sort this out between them but your son does not seem to know what is wrong and he needs to find out before they can begin to repair their relationship.

moonbeames Tue 05-Mar-19 22:39:50

Welcome to the site. This situation is a mind field for you. Stay well out of it, don't take sides and don't say things about your daughter in law to your son. It could blow up in your face and impact your time with your grand-child. Zip it. Your son is old enough to take care of himself, might do him good. Good luck, tricky situation. cupcake

anxiousgran Sun 10-Mar-19 12:26:18

I don’t think it’s fair to criticise OP in her upbringing of her son re looking after himself. I sure he can, but couples get used to supporting each other, as they should and it’s difficult when they are separated.
I’m a paternal grandma. I would be upset if DS had his child away from him for weeks at a time..DiL’s parents shouldn’t be encouraging it.
Yes, I think they do need couples counselling. Support them both and keep lines of communication open with DiL
flowers

anxiousgran Sun 10-Mar-19 12:32:54

Should add in this situation my DS would be devastated his wife wanted to be away from him for long periods.

whoisthis Thu 14-Mar-19 00:45:03

Its the middle of the night.I can't sleep, am really worried about this situation as my son has decided if she carries on doing this he will get a divorce, he has not seen his son for 3 weeks-the pain of losing my grandson does not go away.sent her a text to see how they were both doing but no reply.

GrandmainOz Thu 14-Mar-19 02:18:31

whoisthis you must be very worried. I think you're right to try to keep in touch with GC's mother if in a friendly tone. Hopefully if she sees you're not taking sides you'll be able to keep in touch with her and Baby even if a divorce does happen. Of course, you'll be hoping it doesn't.
Hope your phone pings with a reply from her

March Thu 14-Mar-19 08:21:29

Why is your DIL staying with her mum? And is she stopping him seeing the baby?

I understand how upset your son is but threatening a divorce just to get her to come home isn't going to get her home. They need counselling by the sound of it.

Fennel Thu 14-Mar-19 12:09:32

whoisthis I can understand that you're worrying at night about it. One of my sons and his wife are going through a strange period at the moment, and I sometimes fear the worst. They've been married 24 years. Had a few sleepless nights.
I usually say some prayers for them all, I can't do anything myself apart from that.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:50:53

Sorry, if I unintentionally offended you, ReadyMeals. My question was caused by the fact that in traditional Indian culture young married women expect to go home to their parents at specific times, such as during pregnancy.

I agree that any one, man or woman has the right to go and visit their parents whenever they want.

trisher Thu 14-Mar-19 13:36:17

whoisthis your DS must be very upset about not seeing his child, but the first year after a new baby is a really testing time. Try to persuade him to contact Relate and ask about counselling, perhaps your DIL will agree to go and they will be able to resolve their differences. It sounds as if she doesn't want to go back to work and leave the baby, which is very understandable. Perhaps they have money problems and are arguing about this. Whatever it is you can only wait. Try not to side with your DS and condemn your DIL. I know that is hard when you can see she is upsetting him. If he can't go during the week could he visit at weekends and try to maintain contact that way? Good luck.

luluaugust Thu 14-Mar-19 14:19:56

I may have missed something here but is there a reason why he can't go and visit his wife at the weekend? I wonder if he knows why his wife has gone home to mum and isn't telling you, strange to be threatening divorce all of a sudden.

sodapop Thu 14-Mar-19 15:09:09

Yes I agree luluaugust I wondered if I had missed something

whoisthis Thu 11-Apr-19 21:28:27

I have encouraged him to talk to her but she does want to discuss it, she came back for 2 weeks and has gone again, i also need to mention ds mil turns up every week to take her back home.

Jomarie Thu 11-Apr-19 21:40:04

Oh dear - not full of good ideas excepting let them get on with it and just be prepared to help as and when asked to. Princess syndrome ? hmm

Mrspn19479 Thu 11-Apr-19 21:55:39

Hi, your son needs his wife and baby at home, calm reflection and a welcoming home, and so does your sons wife. They sounds as though they both need help have they had counselling. Whatever you do don't interfere, have a chat with your son ask him if he needs help and point him in the right direction. Running to mum and being treated as a child by both sets of inlaws isn't the answer. Nowadays men are expected to help in the home and look after children too. Does your DIL work and who looks after the baby.
Go gently and quietly, look after the baby, then hand it back, reluctantly of course, and make another date to look after your grandchild. Give them time, leave them to it. Love them.

agnurse Fri 12-Apr-19 01:04:40

You REALLY need to take a step back here. Your son should NOT be involving you in his marriage and DIL should NOT be involving her mother.

They need professional marriage counselling from an objective third party.

Namsnanny Fri 12-Apr-19 03:15:29

Whoisthis…….How are things with you, and your son and his family?

I hope they have managed to talk to each other a bit more, and your son is seeing his baby?

Watching from the side lines is quite stressful isn't it?

Please don't be put off from posting here by some of our more dogmatic posters.
I don't feel that a lecture does anyone any good.

Good luck shamrock

eazybee Fri 12-Apr-19 08:45:26

Sorry, but your son and daughter in law sound very immature.
She should not be going to stay for 'weeks a time' with her parents while he is working, because she is deliberately preventing him from seeing their child, and he should not expect her to be back home just to 'look after him.'

Threatening divorce won't bring a solution, but they do need to be together to work out their future. He needs to see her at her parents and have as amicable a discussion as possible about their marriage and the baby's welfare.

Febmummaofaboy Fri 12-Apr-19 10:12:44

When I was breastfeeding every hour/2 hours max. from birth to around 8/9 months (even through the night) and husband would come home and want to relax after work saying I had a break all day. I would call my sister crying saying I couldn't cope. She picked me up and took us to hers for a week. I felt so much happier and supported.

I'm sure my MIL would have seen it as I stole the baby from her son who worked and had to fend for himself.

My point is, your son can say that he is going to divorce her if she takes the baby away again BUT you don't know her reasons. Try to stay out of it. You are doing a good thing by texting her, even if she doesn't reply it shows you aren't picking sides which will stand you in good stead. If he does divorce her for staying with her mum, she is more likely to come and visit you with the baby if you maintain a good relationship.

I am sorry you are having this difficult time when you should be enjoying being a new grandma and hopefully when the baby is sleeping better and more settled their marriage will get back on track (it's what happened to me and my husband).flowers

whoisthis Sat 13-Apr-19 08:57:58

Thank you all for your support, i have talked to my son and he is happy to go for counselling but from what i understand she does not want to go, i can't do anything about this.