Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much cleaning is enough?

(129 Posts)
hdh74 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:58:24

Ok, this might be silly, but now there's only two of us the cleaning routine I used to have seems excessive and life really is too short to do it for the sake of it. But then I find I do a room I haven't done in a while and I'm shocked at how much dust there is. We don't really make much mess and what we do is soon cleaned up Worktops, the kitchen floor, and the loo just need doing daily as they get visibly grubby. And the bathroom generally seems to get dusty and grubby really fast so I tend to give that a 'quickie' most days.
What does anyone else find is a comfortable amount?

Kim19 Wed 27-Mar-19 10:34:13

In a moment of despair my Mum said 'please try to keep your place tidy. That gives the impression of being clean'. I have followed this request pretty much to the letter (slight Achilles heel paperwork) but I do a thorough job when having guests. Also beds are always fresh and ready in case of last minute arrivals. The kitchen surfaces have a daily sloosh down as I await something from the MW. That's it. I'm not at all unhappy if someone arrives on the doorstep unannounced.

Anmarr Wed 27-Mar-19 10:34:32

Dust if you must but wouldn’t it be better

to paint a picture or write a letter,
bake a cake or plant a seed,
ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must but there’s not much time,
with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
music to hear and books to read,
friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must but the world’s out there
with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair,
a flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
This day will to come ‘round again.

Dust if you must but bear in mind,
old age will come and it’s not always kind.
And when you go - and go you must -
you, yourself, will make more dust.

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 10:36:40

Annmarie ?

grannytotwins Wed 27-Mar-19 10:38:02

I knew Quentin Crisp. I certainly didn’t find his room too dusty. He had a room about the size of a double bedroom which was his living room, kitchen and bedroom. We all shared the bathroom on that floor. He would entertain me for tea and I never noticed the dust. I really don’t notice it in my own house until it’s bad! Once he invited me in wearing just a shirt and blue eyeliner!

KatyK Wed 27-Mar-19 10:38:54

I know someone who lives with her husband and two children and changes the bedding every day. confused

cossybabe Wed 27-Mar-19 10:40:32

Life is too short to be cleaning - keep it hygienic but enjoy life - remember we will all be dust soon

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 10:40:53

Change bedding twice a week? I'm tired just thinking about it. I do mine once a fortnight ...

annodomini Wed 27-Mar-19 10:55:21

I'm with you crazyH. Nobody uses my bed but me. I don't always make it every day but fold back the duvet to air it.

BRedhead59 Wed 27-Mar-19 10:59:39

Once a week or maybe two weeks. Very little 'spring cleaning' unlike when I was at work. I planned to have such a smart house when I retired but life got in the way!

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 10:59:45

Same here annodomini....on my own and believe me, I do the same , fold the duvet back for an airing...great day today for an airing...all my windows are open. Love days like this .

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 11:02:49

Grannytotwins........I would have loved to meet Quentin Crisp- such an interesting character.

Worthingpatchworker Wed 27-Mar-19 11:18:30

Is it our expectations we clan for or what we presume are other people’s?
Your house is your home not a show home.
Having said that....I grew up with a mum who didn’t know how to make cleaning fun and even once I’d vacuumed she say it could be better. Really put me off cleaning, but....I do dust, vacuum and so forth regularly but am not manic about it. Who, for example, has ever seen a gravestone stating .....she kept her house spotless. Plus.....I love sewing.
I’m luckier than my predecessors as I have a onderful asking machine, a dish washer and amazing cleaning products.
I hold the belief that too many cleaning products have contributed to some of the asthma here days.
Do what makes you happy. Xx

Juliet27 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:28:23

If only I enjoyed housework...I just can never find the enthusiasm for it.

Carolina55 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:32:54

Must admit I’d love the luxury of a fresh bed every night (with someone else making it of course) but I too settle for a good airing all morning and make up after lunch ready for nighttime- love my bed!

Stella14 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:33:42

I prefer a tidy house, but it’s the house or the garden. In the summer our house is usually untidy. Gardening is more enjoyable. Also, I take the view that on our deathbeds, we won’t be saying ‘I wish I’d done a little bit more housework’!

00mam00 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:45:05

On a Friday when my children were at primary school, I did the weekly shop early before dropping them at school. Spent 2/3 hours thoroughly cleaning our (4 bed, 2 bathroom) bungalow whilst making bread for the week, (no bread maker). Then Monday a quick clean and another bathrooms clean midweek.

We have accumulated so much furniture and stuff since then it would take me 2/3 days to thoroughly clean one room, so I rarely bother. Kitchen worktops get a daily clean but the rest of the house, as and when. I have often thought of getting a cleaner, but am too embarrassed to let anyone have a good look at our mess.

Who was it that said ‘if you don’t move anything, the dust won’t show’.

I am still trying to deal with the image of Quentin Crisp in just a shirt and blue eyeshadow. shock

Annie29 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:58:40

Anmar Brilliant.smile

Juliet27 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:00:46

Housework must be much easier if you have a minimalist house. That's my trouble...too much clutter to shift before getting down to the cleaning.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:07:05

Enough cleaning is whatever you are comfortable with, even when unexpected visitors turn up.

Saggi Wed 27-Mar-19 12:52:35

I’m with you dumpling...... I clean when it looks dirty. My hubby won’t lift a finger... his thinking is ... if water flows into into it can’t need cleaning. The thought of having a schedule to live by when I’m retired is just diabolical. No schedules... no methods.... no housework that isn’t absolutely necessary to our health. There are too many books to read and too many wonderful grandkids to enjoy.

sluttygran Wed 27-Mar-19 12:55:21

My DGC keep me cleaning. After their frequent visits for a meal and playtime, my flat looks as though a hurricane has passed through!
I don’t complain, tho’ - their company and love is worth all the sticky marks and toy chaos!

notgoneyet Wed 27-Mar-19 12:57:26

I'm with you on that NfkDumpling. And you, too KatyK. Unless or until it gets so bad that I can't concentrate on anything else lol

Lilyflower Wed 27-Mar-19 13:12:06

I use cleaning the house as my fitness regime which keeps me active and saves on gym fees. I am also a bit OCD and like things spick and span.

However, there are many other things I like to do such as read, walk, cook and garden.

So in the morning I am theservants and in the afternoon I am the Dowager countess of Downton.

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Mar-19 13:19:17

Anmarr

Very true. I like it. smile

rockgran Wed 27-Mar-19 13:19:57

I like to stay on the right side of a health hazard but I do like it to be quite tidy. If we expect visitors then it gets a good going over. Happily this time we had unexpected visitors the day after and it was still very presentable. Usually unexpected visitors cause mild panic!shock