Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Paying by phone

(37 Posts)
kittylester Mon 15-Apr-19 07:00:00

Is it safe? I know lots of people do - most of my children do - but it seems very insecure to me.

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Apr-19 07:08:47

I’ll be interested to see the replies to this, as I’ve been wondering about it too. I was a latecomer to contactless payments because I was convinced at first that they weren’t secure - now I’m taken aback when I have to remember my pin.

cornergran Mon 15-Apr-19 07:11:20

It was set up on my phone when I bought it, I promptly disabled the function as I also had concerns. I’ll also be interested in responses but just have to remember which finger, or thumb, I used hmm.

MawBroonsback Mon 15-Apr-19 07:46:56

My not-yet-3 year old DGS managed to get hold of his Daddy’s phone and tip an Uber driver £2 recently. confused !
(SIL got an “automatic acknowledgement” and thanks)

harrigran Mon 15-Apr-19 07:49:09

I would never use a mobile for banking or payments, no system is 100 % secure.

tanith Mon 15-Apr-19 08:14:40

I use google pay and Tesco pay with no problems. When I set them up I needed to have fingerprint password enabled on my phone so no one else can wake up my android phone and use it for anything.
It means I no longer to carry my purse around with me. I guess you either trust it or you don’t if you manage perfectly fine without it then why bother and worry about it.

I find it very useful.

dragonfly46 Mon 15-Apr-19 08:25:43

I have only just started using contactless. I find it all too easy to do. You have no idea how much you are spending. I am afraid I still use cash for small transactions.

kittylester Mon 15-Apr-19 09:02:56

I have used contact less since I got a card which was enabled.

Does paying by phone use a credit card or is a debit direct from the bank account? The contactless card I use is a credit card.

MiniMoon Mon 15-Apr-19 09:22:39

My phone has the Google play app already installed. I've never used it, but I might in the future. You have to add a credit or debit card to it as your method of payment. Further than that I haven't looked, but I believe that you can add gift cards etc., to the app. It could be useful.

Pittcity Mon 15-Apr-19 09:52:13

Kitty the phone uses whatever card you add to the app. So you can add a non contactless card if the issuing bank allows it. There are several security checks as you add cards...there can be more than one.
I think it is more secure than a contactless card as you need to unlock your phone to use it and there is a record of what you have spent.

Pittcity Mon 15-Apr-19 09:55:12

MiniMoon you can add your loyalty cards eg.Nectar, Boots etc.
It saves faffing about in your purse you just need to faff on your phone instead.

dragonfly46 Mon 15-Apr-19 10:02:56

Pittcity I didn't know all that - I shall look into it. Since my friend had her purse taken out of her bag in Waitrose I have my cards in one wallet and my store cards etc in another and it is real faff. I have Stocard app to put my store cards on but Sainsbury's scanners do not read it.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Apr-19 10:22:32

I have contactless credit and debit cards but rarely use the contactless facility except when buying bread from the local bakery.
I like having a receipt for multiple purchases so I can check it.

Missfoodlove Mon 15-Apr-19 10:36:31

If you have an iphone Apple Pay is very secure as all your details are transcribed in code, this basically means Apple create a different card number for your transaction.
The retailer then could never use that number to defraud you.
It also requires just a finger print to pay so nobody can see you entering a pin.
This method can be used for any amount so long as funds are there, however some retailers put a £30 limit on as they don’t understand the technology.

tanith Mon 15-Apr-19 10:37:31

GabriellaG54 you still get a receipt as normal out of the machine, if at a counter they don’t give you one just ask.

123coco Mon 15-Apr-19 10:38:45

Apple phones are so safe that Which computer magazine says they need no anti virus. I have about 3 banking apps and use them to look at statements, move money etc. I pay by credit card all the time and PayPal. I use my phone to pay for something nearly every day especially if I use amazon. How else would I pay. Or am I getting confused with the question.

LuckyFour Mon 15-Apr-19 10:50:39

If your co tactless card is stolen can it be used by the thief?

LuckyFour Mon 15-Apr-19 10:51:15

Sorry I meant to put contactless

Wishes Mon 15-Apr-19 10:56:06

I much prefer using my contactless card than mobile for the fact it's much easier to man handle, less faffing.

Wiltshiregrams Mon 15-Apr-19 11:40:44

I have been paying by phone since we were able to. Never had a problem. In fact, do everything by phone or iPad. Very rarely have cash.

Pittcity Mon 15-Apr-19 11:45:19

Yes Luckyfour a thief could use your contactless card until you contacted your bank.
Some banking apps allow you to freeze and unfreeze your card at the press of a button if you are worried about that.
The phone needs the passcode/fingerprint before the contactless payment can be made so more secure.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Apr-19 12:33:47

tanith
Yes, I realised that after posting the comment hiwever, I like to keep tabs on my spending and it's so easy to tap n go.
I just prefer using a pin although I do have Samsung and Google Pay (which I never use) along with other payment methods.
I use PayPal for many online and in-store purchases where possible. That gives me 14 days to change my mind or dispute a bill without any money going out of my bank.

anitamp1 Mon 15-Apr-19 12:46:17

There was a time when people wondered if it was safe to drive a motorcar. Or travel in one of those flying machines. When hole in the wall machines were introduced, many were wary. Everything involves an element of risk. But progress is moving at a rapid rate. We need to embrace it.

Doversole Mon 15-Apr-19 14:03:00

I think Apple Pay is pretty secure.
But what puts me off is how would I cope if my phone battery was flat etc.
I think overtime I would probably end up not carrying a purse or other means of payment, and then would be completely up the creek if my phone wasn’t working or I’d left it at home by mistake.

Saggi Mon 15-Apr-19 14:03:17

I buy near everything on line....do my Sainsburys shop via our joint bank account....Amazon is linked to my credit card...but you can change to debit with press of a button ...so different purchases can be made via different cards. Also use Pay Pal.I have no computer/laptop so do all my banking with mobile phone. I haven’t been in my bank for three years. So much so that I was recently paid by cheque for something I’d long forgotten and the cheque is still in my purse cos I don’t want the hassle of going to the bank. Transfer money to my kids and grandkids bank accounts in the blink of an eye...but oldfashionly ask them to text to say it’s received. Brilliant ...and I’ve never had a moments trouble . My husband who is disabled and won’t leave the house destroyed his bank card by mistake recently. I stood for twenty minutes in bank q to get it replaced but couldn’t as he has to do it himself. He won’t do it.....so if he needs money I have to trudge to the ATM for him. He won’t use online banking of course...although he doesn’t mind asking me to check our joint account for him . When I say he’s being hypocritical he refutes my statement. Men.