Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Paying by phone

(38 Posts)
kittylester Mon 15-Apr-19 07:00:00

Is it safe? I know lots of people do - most of my children do - but it seems very insecure to me.

Saggi Mon 15-Apr-19 14:04:22

Oh and Do resolve....get yourself a portable phone charger ...got one in Amazon for about £12...it’s invaluable

Magrithea Mon 15-Apr-19 15:38:28

Have paid over the phone for 25 + years and only ever once had a problem which the bank picked up very quickly. As long as you know who you're speaking to, onthe phone or online, then you should be fine.

instagran Mon 15-Apr-19 18:43:01

I hope everyone realises that by using such a system accelerates the advance of the cashless society? Just imagine what it will be like when you cannot pay cash eg at a car boot sale or give a tip without a record, with the possibility of being cut off at a whim.

crazyH Mon 15-Apr-19 18:54:52

Been paying by phone and online for years and years .....never ever had a problem

tanith Mon 15-Apr-19 19:10:03

Surely apps for paying by phone are pretty new I’m a bit confused by a couple of posts confused

librarylady Mon 15-Apr-19 20:05:55

Saggi, I bank online with HSBC and use their app a lot. We have regular monthly cheque which I can basically scan to our account (has to be under £5000, I think). If one bank does it, I am sure the others must smile

kittylester Mon 15-Apr-19 20:26:42

I meant paying using my mobile like a debit card not giving my number over the phone or on a website. I have been doing that for years.

yogagran Mon 15-Apr-19 20:31:52

It seems that some people have confused "paying by phone" with "paying with phone". This thread is about using your phone (with an installed app that has your card details) as payment, not calling someone and doing it over the phone.

Pittcity and someone else mentioned other cards that can be stored on your phone and I assume that she meant store loyalaty cards like Waitrose, Boots etc. There's a very useful app called Stocard which is available for both Google and Apple. It saves carrying all the separate cards with you and is very easy to use in store

tanith Mon 15-Apr-19 20:40:57

Thanks yogagran I think you’re right i did wonder if that was it.

Pittcity Tue 16-Apr-19 09:21:38

This thread has prompted me to start using Google pay again. I went through the settings and it scanned my emails....now my air miles account has been added....saves sieving through emails for that.
A great filing system even if you don't use it to pay.

MiniMoon Tue 16-Apr-19 09:54:58

Ha! I tried to install the N*****t banking app. I'm tearing my hair out. It hasn't given me a four digit number to complete the set up.
I've given up on disgust. I'll just have to continue paying with my card. Phone banking, poo!!!

tanith Tue 16-Apr-19 10:25:08

MiniMoon if you download the google pay app or similar you can load any bank card on to it. You don’t have to use your own banks app.