Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

camping

(78 Posts)
DINNNO Sat 20-Apr-19 01:08:14

feeling like a bit of a night owl - are there any other night owls out there at this hour?

I've been camping before and it was dreadful. The tent was trying to fly away with me in it and the pegs holding the tent down were being ripped out of the ground. I immediately grabbed my belongings and ran out of the tent into a bathroom-building nearby and watched the tent fly off into the distance with no desire to go and catch it as I had a fear of getting wrapped up in it and flying off with it.

After the incident i developed a fear for tents.

Sadly, in a few days time I'm scheduled to go on a camping trip with a few relatives that know just as little as holding a tent down as I do. I asked them how they plan to stop the wind from having it fly off and they said they'll peg it down. I did the same with my tent that ended up flying off so don't think that this time it will be any different.

On the trip, the tent will have to be large as there are more than one of us. 9, so a huge tent will be used. We can't control the weather and it changes all the time and we don't have the energy to continuously be moving a tent around.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for holding a tent down in windy weather without moving it every time the wind changes direction or speed?

sodapop Wed 08-May-19 16:56:54

Yes definitely stay at home as SirChenjin says, why put yourself through all that discomfort for no good reason.

NanaandGrampy Wed 08-May-19 19:42:34

As sodapop says- the dog can keep you company!