Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tinnitus, white noise.

(8 Posts)
kittylester Tue 23-Apr-19 18:20:47

DH has been advised to use white noise to help his one sided tinnitus.

I'm sure there are other people with the same problem and I wondered what anyone thought. And, how you listen to it!

MiniMoon Tue 23-Apr-19 19:38:07

Kitty is your husband having difficulty sleeping because of the tinnitus? If so, there are white noise machines to put under your pillow or beside your bed to use with earphones. I believe they are quite effective although I don't have trouble at night.
My tinnitus is annoying when I'm watching tv. I have to turn up the volume to cancel it out, but DH finds it loud!

NanKate Tue 23-Apr-19 20:18:26

Hi Kitty, another one sided tinnitus person here, don’t want to say sufferer as over the years I have learned to accept my tinnitus as being part of me.

White noise can be found on YouTube free. Get your DH to use earphones, or just one if he sleeps on his side and the sound of the white noise should lull him to sleep. You can buy devices from the Deaf Association (they must have a more pc name for it now) which play a selection of sounds, my favourite was a steam train.

Should be packing for my hols, if anything else comes to mind I will pm you.

NanKate Tue 23-Apr-19 20:22:04

PS I was told by the Audiologist not to drown out the noise as the tinnitus gets louder to compete. After a time I forget I had it, unless I thought about it, but it took me a while to get to that state.

Doodle Tue 23-Apr-19 21:47:05

I have tried white noise, pink noise and brown noise (never knew there was so much choice. Doesn’t seem to help me much but I think we are all different. Most days I get by without thinking about it. Mine is always worse at night. Some nights the noise is so loud I just can’t sleep. I have problems with my jaw too so on nights when both are bad I usually sit in an armchair as lying down seems to concentrate my mind more on the noise.
Hope Mr Kitty gets some relief from it soon.

Cabbie21 Tue 23-Apr-19 21:51:45

I am fortunate that tinnitus does not keep me awake. Mostly it does not bother me, but I notice it very much when there is silence. So I prefer to have the radio on. I am not sure about white noise, but some noise is an antidote.

NannyHill Tue 23-Apr-19 22:39:22

Kitty. I have one sided tinnitus and use to listen to white noise, birds and waves crashing of a night. I think the idea is that if your listening to something else it takes your mind of the tinnitus. When it first started three years ago didn’t know if I could cope with it, but you learn to accept that the noise you hear is normal for you. Try not to focus on it too much, it seems to make it worse. Always try to have some background noise in the home.

crazyH Tue 23-Apr-19 22:41:56

My little3 year old gs has tinnitus. Most of the time he's fine but occasionally, he'll complain of sounds