Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Comfy pyjamas

(91 Posts)
kittylester Sat 27-Apr-19 17:44:20

Can anyone suggest pyjamas that are reasonably priced, natural fabric and with seams in the trousers that are not really hard around the crutch.

My current ones are m and s and can get really uncomfortable when they ride up.

Sorry, if this is tmi but I've spent most of this week in bed with a sinus infection so the problem looms very large at the moment.

Bazza Sun 28-Apr-19 12:41:43

Just lose the knickers! I’ve never worn anything in bed since I realised when I started work I was expected to buy my own nightwear. I’d far rather put the money towards a new dress! The downside to this is being in hospital and feeling so constricted in bed with clothes on.

Glosgran Sun 28-Apr-19 13:06:22

I have some really roomy and comfy viscose jersey pyjamas from George at Asda. Viscose is made from natural fibres and is cool to wear and doesn't smell if you perspire. They do a range for those recovering from breast surgery and a percentage of the cost goes to a cancer charity.

Glosgran Sun 28-Apr-19 13:16:32

Maybe get a bigger size if you want them to be roomy or make sure that you try them on at an Asda store:
direct.asda.com/george/women/nightwear-slippers/post-surgery-floral-soft-touch-pyjamas/GEM662825,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C18

direct.asda.com/george/women/nightwear-slippers/post-surgery-grey-star-print-button-through-pyjamas/GEM662821,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C18

EthelJ Sun 28-Apr-19 13:16:59

For some reason I can't seem to wear pj's anymore and it is very annoying. I find them very uncomfortable in the night whatever the size they always seem too tight and I wake up in the night very uncomfortable with a swollen stomach. I wear trousers in the day no problem but have resorted to nightdresses for bed.
I am watching this thread very carefully to see if I can find any recommendations for comfy pj's.

Rosiehaha Sun 28-Apr-19 13:53:59

Primark......I had a pair and they lasted 8 years! I know this as I bought them to wear to a fancy dress party where everything had to begin with a ‘p’. and it was a 30 yr old party the guest of honour is now 38 and I have just thrown them away. The brushed cotton ones are best and always get a size bigger.

On another note wearing Pj’s and slippers to a party was the most comfortable I have ever been at any party!!!

lindiann Sun 28-Apr-19 13:59:49

I bought my brother some pyjamas which he would not wear because they did not have an opening and fly bottoms. I kept them and they are the most comfortable warm fleecy pyjamas I have ever worn smile

Jeannietea Sun 28-Apr-19 14:02:46

Definitely wear knickers - so much more comfortable.

crazyH Sun 28-Apr-19 14:08:03

Asda wyncyette pyjamas are the best !!!!

Bijou Sun 28-Apr-19 14:13:16

I have always worn nighties as I liked to get the air to my parts but now I am old and slightly incontinent have to wear knickers as well underneath.

Aepgirl Sun 28-Apr-19 14:29:48

Biden are lovely - good natural cotton, and comfy.

grannylyn65 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:41:38

Matalan, Primark x

JanaNana Sun 28-Apr-19 14:45:46

The Edinburgh Woollen mill shops also sell pyjamas. I don't wear them myself but noticed them around December time when buying something else in there. I think the tops and bottoms came separately so you could always get the bottoms in the next size to what you would normally buy to allow for the extra comfort. Hope you soon feel much better.

Helen2806 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:48:40

Yep, I sleep in knickers and a vest top. I put pj bottoms in before bed or when I get up.

Yorkshiregirl Sun 28-Apr-19 14:54:46

Simple solution iis to wear some comfortable undies underneath, but marks and Spencer do some soft comfortable ones. I personally prefer the knee length as i can't stand full length

Sheilasue Sun 28-Apr-19 15:15:53

I have a pair of bottom pjs from Matalan, very comfy and need no ironing they are cotton. Get well soon.

HildaW Sun 28-Apr-19 15:42:46

I've just been trawling around for a decent lightweight dressing gown and was reminded of a rather old fashioned site that I had used for DH's socks.....Woods of Shropshire. They seem to stock some rather nice traditional PJs. The prices vary, you can push the boat out or there are more budget friendly ones.

jacq10 Sun 28-Apr-19 16:43:06

Just checked my favourite pair and they, like quite a few others recommended on here, are from Sainsbury's. Viscose material, roomy and not at all clingy! Think I got them reduced at the end of last summer.

kittylester Sun 28-Apr-19 17:00:06

I usually have chop and chage tops and bottoms - but ivd decided to become more sophisticated!! grin

But I really need support for my bust but cant stand the thought of a sleep bra.

tiredoldwoman Sun 28-Apr-19 17:58:03

I bought some 2 weeks ago from Sainsburys , I wore them last night and felt good in them ! Sort slightly stretchy fabric in a lovely pale pink check .

Saggi Sun 28-Apr-19 18:09:11

Oh kittylester...you and me both...I had an eye operation ( ptosis)... to repair a mistake made when I had a cataract op a year ago ... no sooner had I got home from hospital than I came down with a sinus infection. Because of the op, the doctor gave me 10 days course of anti-biotics ...didn’t even touch the sides. It’s been 20 days of absolute misery , as never having had trouble with sinus’s before I hadn’t realised how painful and bu he’d up it can be. Stitches from op are coming out tomorrow and then I’m straight back to doctor. I didn’t even realise that sleep isn’t an option with bad sinus problems. I’ve only had 2 hours a night in all this time. The option of staying in bed has not been an option as I’m my husbands carer. He’s not incapable of looking after me for a while...just unwilling.

floorflock Sun 28-Apr-19 18:09:32

I wear Edinburgh Woollen Mill PJ's which are roomy and very comfortable.

Grannyknot Sun 28-Apr-19 18:37:08

Full size soft cotton knickers in black and oversized cotton T-shirts in various colours are my go-to PJs. (But the M&S butterfly set looks very nice, I shall check it out instore).

Don't like seams, so sometimes I turn the T-shirts inside out grin Don't like nighties, they wind around me like a corkscrew, I must toss and turn a lot.

The most uncomfortable pair of PJs I've ever owned are a pair from Liberty in stiff cotton, a gift from husband, I shudder to think what they must have cost.

kittylester Sun 28-Apr-19 18:56:11

saggi, I've had relief using the salt water nasal washes.

Grandmama Sun 28-Apr-19 19:28:15

I have several pairs of M&S pyjamas, bought them when there was an offer some time ago, cotton jersey knit. Love them, wouldn't go back to nighties.

GrammaH Sun 28-Apr-19 19:45:26

I'm with Bazza and wear nothing in bed unless we've got visitors & I may have to get up in the night in which case it's a pair of M&S embroidered cotton PJs which are very beautiful & reasonably comfy.