Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has the BBC given up on religion?

(67 Posts)
jennyvg Sun 05-May-19 10:51:07

Has the BBC given up on religion? I ask this question because this morning I tuned into the radio 2 programme Good Morning Sunday at six twenty and at eight thirty when I decided I couldn't listen any longer I had only heard one reference to religion and that was a short reference to Ramadam. Songs of Praise has been relegated to Sunday lunch time not the most convenient time for most people to tune in once again making me feel that the BBC wants to delete religion. I am not a deeply religious person but I do have my beliefs and enjoy a good hymn and religious piece of music, the reverend Kate and Jason seem to be too interested in the so called celebrity guests, the programme has turned into just another radio programme.

Riverwalk Sun 05-May-19 10:59:57

No they haven't.

You need to listen to Radio 4, plenty of religion this morning, including the 40 minute Sunday Worship from Cardiff - lots of hymns and music.

maryeliza54 Sun 05-May-19 11:22:13

Thought for the Day every weekday morning R4 - some of us think that non religious thoughts should be allowed in this slot

maryeliza54 Sun 05-May-19 11:22:49

There’s also something called a church

Riverwalk Sun 05-May-19 11:27:11

And Prayer for the Day, every day on Radio 4.

jennyvg Sun 05-May-19 16:31:09

Thankyou I will tune into radio 4 next week

jennyvg Sun 05-May-19 16:31:58

Thank you I will tune into radio 4 next week

Urmstongran Sun 05-May-19 17:15:10

Probably.
As a reflection of our more secular society.

GrumpyGran8 Sun 05-May-19 17:40:42

You don't have to stick with the BBC. There are lots of Christian radio shows to listen to: onlineradiobox.com/uk/genre/christian
Although most seem to be internet-only, www.premierchristianradio.com is on medium wave and Freewiew.

Eloethan Sun 05-May-19 19:57:53

If you have a religious belief and like a good hymn/religious piece of music, why not go to church? After all, congregations seems to be diminishing year on year and churches closing.

Alternatively, join a choir - their repertoires often include religious music and carols.

I think Thought for the Day is fine except for the fact that it seems to suggest that only religious people are qualified to share their thoughts and beliefs on ethical issues.

Urmstongran Sun 05-May-19 20:11:37

I dare say not everyone is mobile enough to attend church Eloethan hence the radio or tv being a comfort for some.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 20:22:38

Oh is that where Songs of Praise has gone?!!! I've been wondering what's happened to it. Loved settling down to listen to that. God's definitely got the best tunes. And the onscreen words mean you can singalong. Can't do that at lunchtime!

And am I right in thinking that the late night repeat of Something Understood has vanished? I know the lovely Mark Tully is not doing it anymore, but I still liked to listen to it whilst drifting off on a Sunday night. Sigh.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 20:24:34

Everything good and decent is getting sidelined.

Anniebach Sun 05-May-19 20:58:04

Yes ‘Something Understood ‘ has gone , I miss it, listened to it for 25 years

Anniebach Sun 05-May-19 21:01:01

Why not go to Church Eleothan ? Perhaps there are people physically unable to go to Church

Eloethan Mon 06-May-19 00:34:02

I feel sure that other churchgoers would be more than willing to offer a lift to someone with mobility problems. I accept that it would be an issue for someone who was bedridden or seriously ill.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-May-19 07:06:37

I am not a Christian, but am aware that in every village and suburb I’ve ever lived in, the local churches, chapels etc always have some sort of arrangement that ensures those who can’t get there for whatever reason are offered transport etc, and where that is impossible the local vicar pays a visit.
You need never be without spiritual support.

If that rocks your boat of coursesmile

Flit Mon 06-May-19 08:08:08

I noticed that on Radio 4 on Easter morning the programme presenter at 7am didn't even say Happy Easter!!

Riverwalk Mon 06-May-19 08:55:26

'Something understood' hasn't gone - it was on yesterday and still available on the BBC website.

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 09:03:51

Not on radio4 ,

Riverwalk Mon 06-May-19 09:16:38

Yes, it was Annie I listened to it at 06.05!

Riverwalk Mon 06-May-19 09:17:44

And as I said it's still on the website if you missed the broadcast.

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 09:18:30

Sorry, I always listened to it in bed at night.

BradfordLass72 Mon 06-May-19 09:46:29

the local churches, chapels etc always have some sort of arrangement that ensures those who can’t get there for whatever reason are offered transport

I live in a house owned by a prominent religious group whose church is about a mile away.
For the past 6 years, since I had to give up my car, I have asked if someone can take me. Neighbours on both sides go to this church, are in fact prominent members but too prominent to take me it seems.

When another group, Baptists this time, came evangelising and (to my surprise) one of them was my ex-doctor, I told him I'd love to go to church occasionally. Did anyone come? Nope.

Grannyrebel27 Mon 06-May-19 10:02:57

There was nothing on the BBC at Easter either, not even Good Friday. Shocking that most people these days don't believe in God. It must be awful to have no faith. Sad times.