Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has the BBC given up on religion?

(68 Posts)
jennyvg Sun 05-May-19 10:51:07

Has the BBC given up on religion? I ask this question because this morning I tuned into the radio 2 programme Good Morning Sunday at six twenty and at eight thirty when I decided I couldn't listen any longer I had only heard one reference to religion and that was a short reference to Ramadam. Songs of Praise has been relegated to Sunday lunch time not the most convenient time for most people to tune in once again making me feel that the BBC wants to delete religion. I am not a deeply religious person but I do have my beliefs and enjoy a good hymn and religious piece of music, the reverend Kate and Jason seem to be too interested in the so called celebrity guests, the programme has turned into just another radio programme.

moggie57 Mon 06-May-19 13:09:06

no one can say whether you get to heaven after we die ,that is not up to us, and as for catholic priests, they told my best friend her husband wouldnt go to heaven because he wasnt catholic. what a load of b******t...who do they think they are .god ?? i think not...judgement is not up to a catholic priest.......religion is not to blame for wars etc it is tolerence of people from other faiths...if every country was friends as it should be. there would be no wars. some people like to think they are the top person but they not, there is someone bigger and better than everyone. and its the one who made you.

GillT57 Mon 06-May-19 13:18:47

Maybe the BBC changed Songs of Praise to earlier in the day because many people now have Sunday lunch later in the day? Families are tied up with childrens' activities and sports, working in the 7 day retail sector perhaps, or even catching up with shopping and chores so the later slot may be an attempt by the BBC to catch more viewers rather than allegedly alienate older viewers who like their lunch at 1pm every Sunday?

susanstroud Mon 06-May-19 13:25:51

I think people believe in God but I think they are just too lazy and interested in other things. I have noticed when things are tough, they all cry out to God but as long as they can get by, they do.

Oldandverygrey Mon 06-May-19 13:32:52

Our Minister once said there are no athiests in lifeboats.

mrneduc Mon 06-May-19 13:53:18

Lord Reith must be turning in his grave. The new religion of atheism has plenty of air time. To me it takes as much faith to believe there is no God as to believe there is one. I prefer the latter

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-May-19 14:37:47

These days you can listen to radio over the Internet and probably find a television channel that transmits a church service too, so if you have a computer, you might want to surf the net for appropriate channels. You can hook the computer up to your TV too. Perhaps you have a grandchild who could help with that if computers aren't your thing?

madmum38 Mon 06-May-19 14:38:14

Not all church congregations are diminishing, the one in our village where my son works had to be extended a few years ago and an extra service added as lots more people were going.
The ones my daughters go to on Sunday mornings and Sunday evening is a church that was reopened just a couple of years ago and have a big congregation now including a lot of students.

eagleswings Mon 06-May-19 16:25:08

My faith is one of the most important and profound things in my life and I am sure I speak for many people in this country. The BBC is a public service provider and is responsible for reflecting our cultural heritage and giving a voice to minority groups. Christianity falls into both of these catagories. So let's not mourn, lets mobilise.
I'm going to write to them and remind them of their responsibilities. Anyone care to join me..?

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 16:32:05

Then Annaram1, why the hotels in Sri Lanka ? Was there a church in the two towers, was it the church in Lockerbie the real target ?

Annaram1 Mon 06-May-19 17:30:44

Aniebach, Not everything is caused by religion, just a lot of things. The terrorists who bombed churches and hotels were really out to kill Christians and foreigners. The same with Lockerbie, a church was not the target, and also I believe Lockerbie was not really a target. The twin towers were attacked by suicide pilots who wanted to harm Americans. I never said it was just churches who are attacked, But the terrorists themselves are motivated to kill Christians and as they themselves are Muslims this makes a lot of what they do a so-called religious act. And what about the Jews who are also targets, and the Charlie Hebdo case and the Jewish shop in Paris? I could go on and on. But I never said it was just churches!!!

Saggi Mon 06-May-19 21:30:16

Given up on religion jennyvg.... I do hope so. Religion belongs to the infancy of our species .... has caused so much misery and death on its way through...I wish I could live long enough to see it totally eradicated.

Eloethan Mon 06-May-19 21:42:19

Christianity is not a minority religion in this country. I believe a significant number of people in GB, when asked, describe themselves as CofE/Catholic, even if only by habit rather than practice. Additionally, the Church of England has a privileged position in our political system.

I don't see why it is necessary to have media coverage specifically set aside to espouse the views of those with religious beliefs - whether they be Christian or any other religion. Surely it is possible to produce programmes that discuss various religious beliefs/values - and agnosticism/atheism - and their impact upon the individual and society? People who have no religious beliefs still have values and opinions, even though they are not directly based on religious texts, so I think their views are worthy of acknowledgement and inclusion also.

Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 21:49:29

Does televising a church service cause anger, upset, ?

Eloethan Tue 07-May-19 01:39:40

It doesn't make me angry or upset because Songs of Praise is still on TV. I don't, though, see why people take issue about its timing. If a religious service is so important to you, surely you either go to church or you watch Songs of Praise at the new time?

I was speaking more specifically about Thought for the Day which does not include an atheist/agnostic/humanist perspective. It suggests to me that the values and beliefs of those who follow a religion are intrinsically of a superior order to those of people who are not religious.

newgran2019 Thu 09-May-19 16:27:47

In reply to Annaram1 and others of the same view, I feel it's rather easy to say bad things are the direct result of religion, as it seems to me it's more the case that flawed human beings looking for a reason to hate and cause trouble will often adopt a twisted version of a faith as justification, as Anniebach and Phoebes suggest. Most genuine people of faith struggle with the problem you mention, namely 'if God truly loves us he would not allow such awful things to happen', but part of faith is holding that in tension with the good things. As a Christian, one can only point to the message of Easter.

Gonegirl Thu 09-May-19 16:37:58

Well, I'm sorry Eloethan but I liked to tuck up by the fire on a Sunday evening and watch Songs of Praise. Been doing it for years. We (DD and I) used to get my old (very old) church hymnbook out and frantically look the hymns up so we could sing along. That was before they started putting the words onscreen. It was Sunday teatime thing with us. smile

My little hymnbook is called "Songs of Praise" too. Quite coincidentally. I won it at Sunday School.

Gonegirl Thu 09-May-19 16:39:03

I usually sleep through Thought for the Day. Sigh.