Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New, small, fun car - any suggestions

(102 Posts)
kittylester Tue 07-May-19 08:31:36

DH has always enjoyed driving a small, nippy, City-type car and I have the bigger 'family' car. He had a Toyota IQ which he loved and I didn't mind driving at occasionally.

His last car needed replacing at around the time he retired and, as he had started doing volunteer driving, we went for a Yaris. This car is now known as the 'Mistake' and languishes at home while we fight about who drives 'my' car.

Can anyone suggest a smallish car that is fun to drive.

We have looked at Smart cars, vw Up, Peugeot 108 Top and various other cars.

grannycakes Tue 07-May-19 17:48:50

i loved my Skoda citigo we have exchanged for a Fabia now as needed something a little bigger otherwise I would have had another Citigo in a heartbeat

Joplin Tue 07-May-19 17:46:56

I've had an automatic Honda Jazz for 3 years & am very pleased with it. The ones I tested were too sluggish going up hills then I tried a Jazz Hybrid, 3 years old, & it's extremely nippy, including ascending hills. Also very quiet & eco-friendly.

scrabble Tue 07-May-19 17:29:27

Definitely the Mini

glammagran Tue 07-May-19 17:23:55

But it was very nice inside for a small car.

glammagran Tue 07-May-19 17:22:34

DD2’s first car was a VW Up. She loved it at first but tired of only having a 1.0cc engine. When she came home from uni at end of terms with all her ‘stuff’ she could barely get up hills.

Parklife1 Tue 07-May-19 16:35:01

Kia Picanto or Rio

I like a higher up car now, after years of low slung cars, including two Audi TTs. My Skoda Karoq would be too big, but is very versatile, with rear seats that are completely removable, parking sensors, all kinds of toys!

nipsmum Tue 07-May-19 15:43:43

I drive a Mazda 2 Automatic. That's enough fun for me . Great in traffic too.

kackie Tue 07-May-19 15:32:45

Last week bought a Fiat 500 dualogic. This is fun to drive and can turn on a sixpence!!!

oldgimmer1 Tue 07-May-19 14:59:55

I've got a Fiat 500. Not sure if "fun" is the word I'd use to describe driving it but it's cheap and cheerful (and funky, if you like that sort of thing).

I have my eye on one of the new Smarts. VERY funky indeed (and come as 4 and 2 seats).

Or what about a Mazda 2-seater?

Or:

Audi A1.
Audi TT (drools).

Mini - plenty of those about, including the Roadster.

Alfa Mito? Smallish but stylish and practical. Spider? Style and fun personified on four wheels..

Marybel Tue 07-May-19 14:55:41

Vauxhall Adam two tone.

Summerstorm Tue 07-May-19 14:46:02

Seat Arona, easy to park a bit higher of the ground therefore easier to get in and out of. I think was “what cars” car of the year 2018. Definitely worth considering it is a fun car to drive

TheOldDear Tue 07-May-19 14:28:27

I don’t know (just hoping my own 15-year-old jalopy will pass its imminent MOT), but one thing I would say is – don’t even consider a Toyota Prius. In this area, it’s become open season for thieves jacking them up in the middle of the night and stealing their catalytic converters. Victims’ CCTV shows that they have it down to a fine art.

BonnieBlooming Tue 07-May-19 14:17:52

I have a wee blue Renault Twingo that I really love. I like a slightly higher driving position and this has that despite being small. I used to drive our Renault Cadger all the time but it feels like a tank now!

CarlyD7 Tue 07-May-19 14:10:00

Would help if we knew what you didn't like about the Yaris?

Hm999 Tue 07-May-19 14:02:32

My little Hyundai is lovely

Hellsgrandad Tue 07-May-19 13:47:50

I've just done the same thing four weeks ago. Now that I'm on my own I've traded in my Hyundai Ioniq and, after a lot of test runs of just about everything, bought a Ford Fiesta. These come in all sorts of trim and because I like my toys and luxuries I paid probably more that I should have done and bought the Vignale version. This car has all of the luxuries, is reasonably economical to run and, best of all, enormous fun to drive.

Nanny41 Tue 07-May-19 13:35:30

I love my VW UP had it for three years, its lovely to drive, easy to park, go for it!

Lilyflower Tue 07-May-19 13:23:26

Both of my children have a Fiesta and love them. There is a good reason why it is the most popular car in the UK. They have high end features in a very comfortable, economical well performing motor.

Greyduster Tue 07-May-19 13:20:31

Honda Jazz, first, last and always! A complete pleasure to drive.

Happysexagenarian Tue 07-May-19 13:11:57

How about a classic car? A Mini, Austin, Riley, Renault or Fiat. Classics are always fun to drive, sometimes challenging but never boring.

Liz62 Tue 07-May-19 12:42:24

Fiat 500 I love mine, cheap to run,£30 tax, nippy, a dream to park with lots of different models available .

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 12:39:05

So do I sue!

We need 4 seats for dh's passengers and fetching and carrying dgc or the supermarket shop for when he inevitably steals mine.

I love my Mazda CX5 and wish they did a City car.

Conni7 Tue 07-May-19 12:36:51

Honda Jazz for me too - I'm on my third. I lease them and change after three years. I hope the next one doesn't have such an irritating radio.

SueDonim Tue 07-May-19 12:34:03

If you only need two seats a Mazda MX5 is fun! I test drove one when Dh was getting a new car. He ended up with a BMW because it was cheaper but the Mazda gives the BMW a good run for its money.

The Telegraph always has good car reviews so it might be worth perusing their opinions once you've narrowed your choice down a bit. www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/a-z/

I have to say, on my next car I want a stirring wheel like Win has on hers. That sounds terrific fun! grin

MrsAllboys Tue 07-May-19 12:32:45

If he wants a small, fun car for himself then definitely a MX5 will hit the spot. Small, skittish, huge fun to drive. I’ve had one for years utterly adorable. It’s even taken me ice-dancing?. But not killed me yet?!