Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Plastic washing up bowl in stainless steel kitchen sink - why?

(91 Posts)
Moocow Tue 07-May-19 10:43:27

I've never understood why people do this. From small I always thought it was a breeding ground for germs. Now especially with water meters, why are people still using them? Why did people ever use them?

Curious as I saw someone trying to decide what size fitted their sink. It was a lovely colour so I was tempted myself grin

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-May-19 10:49:04

Stainless steel sinks scratch that is why I use one. I also run the washing bowl through the dishwasher every so often as well as cleaning it.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 10:49:57

I use one because my sink is huge and would take too much hot water to wash up in it without a bowl.

I never use the bowl in holiday cottages where the sink is smaller.

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 10:53:07

To prevent scratching moocow

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 10:55:08

It uses less water and pots and pans go in the dishwasher so I only was good glasses and wipe the surfaces.

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 10:55:33

Wash not was

glammanana Tue 07-May-19 10:57:58

My stainless steel sink is huge so I use a small black bowl for the small amount of washing up I have to do on a daily basis,larger items are saved for the dishwasher which is slimline and uses minimal amount of water,I use it twice a week for pans and casserole dishes.

humptydumpty Tue 07-May-19 11:00:37

Also with a single sink, if there is e.g.a bit of tea left in a cup, it can be poured down the sink even when the washing-up bowl is full of water.

Urmstongran Tue 07-May-19 11:01:19

A conundrum.
More plastic v energy economy!

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 11:04:14

Not exactly single use though is it? Mine go on for years. (I do keep it clean and we haven't suffered so far)

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 11:05:40

And my old ones live for evermore in my shed where they do no no harm to nobody! ?

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 11:06:11

I know that was a double wotsit.

aggie Tue 07-May-19 11:08:24

I have a white sink , everything stains it ! so I use a plastic bowl in a nice bright green , cheers the area as well as keeping the sink hidden wink

Floradora9 Tue 07-May-19 11:30:03

I do not think the sink is any cleaner than my basin . I have always had a basin in the sink and clean it well .

Moocow Tue 07-May-19 11:40:39

Interesting. It was a lovely colour. Assumed they last for years so it wouldn't be bad for the environment etc. off to measure up my sink in the hope it's still available and not too big.

notanan2 Tue 07-May-19 11:40:48

How are they less hygienic than the sink? The washing up bowl is just for washing up. The sink can have all sorts: pot plants, handwashing etc.

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 11:43:40

Double negative gonegirl ?

shysal Tue 07-May-19 11:43:56

I am puzzled by your question. Reasons are obvious as already stated.

Elegran Tue 07-May-19 11:49:49

I hand wash-up two kinds of things - glass and delicate china (better in a soft plastic bowl than in the steel sink) and large pans/dishes which either don't fit in the diswasher or would take up too much space (better in the sink than in a bowl)

The sink is also used for non-dishwashing purposes, some of which are pretty messy. I wouldn't like to follow them with my crystal glasses.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 11:55:41

Yeah, that's what I thought Crazy. Didn't want to risk getting it wrong though. 'wotsits' covers the lot.

grannyticktock Tue 07-May-19 11:57:30

I once stayed with a friend who didn't use a bowl in the sink and found washing-up a frustrating task because every time there was a dribble left in a cup or something messy like ketchup on a plate, it just had to go into the dishwater, whereas I would normally pour it or sluice it round the side, directly into the sink. I also think there's less risk of damage to glasses etc in a plastic bowl, and it avoids wasting hot water as you can get away with less, especially if you've only a few things to wash.

jura2 Tue 07-May-19 11:57:57

I must say this is something I never do and it puzzles me when I see it. My sil now does so since she has a granit sink and worktops - as they were breaking so many things. She says she would never have granit or marble again, as she has broken so many heirlooms, crystal and beautiful bone china!

Alima Tue 07-May-19 12:04:19

Seems perfectly fine to me to use a washing up bowl in the sink. Uses less water, doesn’t scratch, won’t lose water as the plug thingy isn’t in properly. As to the hygiene factor maybe all those germs over so many years have simply added to our antibodies.

Lazigirl Tue 07-May-19 12:31:22

Probably more germs in dischcloths, sponges & washing up brushes if you use them. Wouldn't lose sleep over a plastic bowl.

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 12:34:12

Wotsits does cover the lot, gonegirl ?