Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Plastic washing up bowl in stainless steel kitchen sink - why?

(92 Posts)
Moocow Tue 07-May-19 10:43:27

I've never understood why people do this. From small I always thought it was a breeding ground for germs. Now especially with water meters, why are people still using them? Why did people ever use them?

Curious as I saw someone trying to decide what size fitted their sink. It was a lovely colour so I was tempted myself grin

SueDonim Wed 08-May-19 14:02:49

Boat, a quick wipe over with a mild bleach solution removes any stains on stainless steel. There's also a powder cleaner called Bar Tender's Friend which works well.

grannyticktock Wed 08-May-19 14:17:39

Bicarbonate of soda applied with a damp sponge will clean most stains from a sink.

Moocow Wed 08-May-19 16:28:49

Amazed I've started a discussion that has generated so many contributions!

My sink is very old and unless my eyes deceive me there are no scratches or stains. I wash it out with washing up liquid and do not use sponges. My hand is enough or as someone said earlier, a washing up brush. Lemon kept by the sink is lovely to use up for cleaning, wonder if that's why there are no scratches or stains. You know what they say about the old household cupboard having items at the ready for cleaning all sorts. Dregs not a problem in our household either, if missed they go on the roses unless it is freezing out. I know it's tea leaves but it is liquid and they are close to the door. Gives me a chance to get some air if I need an excuse! Very interesting reading comments made.

Alexa Wed 08-May-19 16:34:30

Boat, I bet Brillo pads would clean the tea bag stains.

annep1 Thu 09-May-19 08:20:51

Would brillo pads not scratch the sink?

Alexa Thu 09-May-19 10:45:49

I use Brillo pads to clean my sink which is the standard B and Q single stainless steel single sink. Maybe they do leave scratches so small that I can't see them.

Alexa Thu 09-May-19 10:47:09

Moocow, do you use loose tea leaves ?

annodomini Thu 09-May-19 10:58:49

For stainless steel, non-stick and enamel surfaces, I use 'Washup Wiz' from Lakeland which is a bit pricey but lasts, literally, for years and is completely non-scratchy. Bartender's Friend is also invaluable on stainless steel. My daffodil-yellow washing up bowl gets bleached every so often to keep it looking cheerful.

giulia Thu 09-May-19 14:55:38

boat sprinkle bicarbonate of soda round stained area and rub.

annep1 Thu 09-May-19 19:38:28

Ok Alexa. I've obviously got that wrong. ?

Alexa Thu 09-May-19 22:02:09

No you are right Anne I bet there are small scratches.

Moocow Fri 10-May-19 00:16:58

Alexa yes. Why do you ask?

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-May-19 08:46:00

But how do you soak your orchids if you don’t use a bowl?
The sink is too big, they fall over.
I could have gone outside but it was raining.
Sorry my sink isn’t stainless steel but to heck with it surely any sink will do?

lemongrove Fri 10-May-19 08:58:13

Moocow we need to know what the lovely colour of the washing up bowl was....as a matter of urgency.grin

Marmight Fri 10-May-19 09:13:19

I've inherited a ghastly white sink which constantly stains in my new house and no room for a dishwasher. So, I use a small plastic bowl for w/u. I'm on a water meter, a new thing for me, so I'm very aware of water use. I would imagine my bowl & sink are some of the cleanest and germ free in the countrygrin. Even when I had a huge triple sink & a dishwasher at my old property, I still used a bowl. Always conservation conscious....
I can never understand why large sinks are filled to the top for w/u but, we are all different- thank God

Alexa Fri 10-May-19 14:08:06

Moocow I asked because it seems well worth while using tea leaves from tea pots but I'd not use tea bags as soil improvers.