Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Life - some questions!!

(56 Posts)
wildswan16 Mon 10-Jun-19 08:05:20

Best achievement: Surviving all that life has thrown at me.

What would I have done earlier: Found the wisdom that has been gifted to me over the years.

Regret: Drifting through a portion of my life when I should have stopped and got off.

Proudest of: The way my children have turned out.

Flossieturner Mon 10-Jun-19 07:40:08

Best achievement, maintaining a great relationship with my adult children. Something I never thought I could achieve and worried about all through their childhood.

Regret, not having the courage to stand up to my mother and step-father and being their whipping boy for years.

What I wished I had done, is get some counselling.

PageTurner Mon 10-Jun-19 04:02:27

Bradfordlass72 ?? to you have had much to deal with in your life. I'm happy that you are smiling ? Good luck in the future and I hope your son has a change of heart soon.

BradfordLass72 Mon 10-Jun-19 03:20:58

I have had so many achievements that to list them would sound unbearably boastful. They have all come about through a combination of determination and good luck.

I regret I wasn't able to go to university, something I tried 3 times to do but because of financial, family and health circumstances, failed each time.
However, I have not, in any way, been held back in life by this and it's more a matter of pride that makes me regret it...and the fact I love research and study.

My boys were not an achievement as such; they just popped out but being a good mother was.
One boy now, like so many others, has re-written history to decide he's not happy with me. Despite, only days before the rift, talking and laughing with me for 2 hours on the phone.

The other says I'm the best Mum in the world and shows it all the time.
So you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice grin

What do I wish I had done earlier in life?
Had money.

Lack of money, so that life has been decades of struggle, literally having to decide if the children had clothing or food; living in a garage because we couldn't afford rent; nursing a very sick husband with no support and the constant anxiety of wondering if it would get so bad my boys would be taken into care, was harrowing.

But we've all survived (all but my poor, dear husband who killed himself) and we've come out the other side stronger and more resilient...and we've needed that strength because it still hasn't been plain sailing.

So I guess the fact that I'm still here and still smiling is my greatest achievement.

B9exchange Sun 09-Jun-19 23:23:42

Kids first of course. Perhaps getting an MSc with the University of Southampton whilst holding down a full time job and raising four kids at the same time at the age of 51, moving on to become a Chartered Fellow of the BCS.

Regrets - not doing enough for my parents in their old age, I was very busy, but still feel guilty.

I can't really think of something I wish I had done earlier, I am sure there must be something!

Razzy Sun 09-Jun-19 22:52:12

So here I am mulling over life and I thought I need some input!

So, here are my questions!

1. What do you see as your greatest achievement?

2. If the answer to no.1 is your kids, what is your greatest non-kid achievement? :-)

3. What do you most regret?

4. What do you wish you had done earlier in life?

Feel free to add extra stuff too!! And no I am not a journalist before anyone asks!!