Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Music festival

(30 Posts)
Abuelana Mon 10-Jun-19 22:27:04

Ok I’m only asking and prepared to be shot down.
DD has asked me to babysit our GD who will only be 4 months old.
If I were to buy the best noise reduction earphones would it be ok to take baby to a music festival ?
We have VIP tickets seated with tables and we would not drink - just not sure it’s the right thing to do... it’s in a small stadium. Hoping to get some insight in what’s correct or not. My gut feeling is it’s a no no ?

Luckygirl Mon 10-Jun-19 22:31:47

We used to lug our little lasses all over the place from a very young age.

What does your DD think? - I guess that is the crux of the matter. And what is she going to that is so important that you must babysit at that moment?

I would take a baby of my own, but probably not a GC so young.

SisterAct Mon 10-Jun-19 22:36:49

If you are already booked to go out, why can't you say sorry
we are out, so not on this time.

As Luckygirl says ask DD, but personally not something I would do.

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 22:40:50

What if she cries and won't be pacified?
You would have to take her out or risk her spoiling the event for others as well as yourself.
Is there no-one else who can babysit?
And whose event was planned first?

cornergran Mon 10-Jun-19 22:57:30

It sounds as if your event is both planned and paid for and your daughter has since asked you to babysit. If that’s the case why not explain to your daughter and offer to the take the baby if she’s happy for you to do so and you honestly believe you could cope with unexpected baby issues. If that particular evening is vital for your daughter is there an alternative babysitter? I’m wondering how your relationship is. Are you worried about your daughters reaction if you say ‘no’ to her request? It’s certainly not something to consider without your daughters blessing so first step is a conversation with her. You can’t decide until then.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Jun-19 22:58:55

It’s one thing taking your own small child and I wouldn’t think twice I ve been to music festivals and often seen very young babies and we ( daughter and I ) took her children when young and they were happy as Larry but I don’t think I d take a grandchild unless the parents were totally on board
First you need to talk to your daughter or son and see what their thoughts are there s no need to even think of any arrangements until you have done this

Abuelana Mon 10-Jun-19 23:06:04

Thank you thank you!
My DD asked me last year to babysit when she was pregnant. They have a wedding so their event came 1st.
So I’ve decided I’m not going - or I can go and OH can baby sit a few hours. Funny how writing it down and getting replies makes your mind up. My DD and I very close and if asked would more likely say yes - but I’m not going to put her in that position. She was brought up to respect the 1st invitation rule so who am I to break it ?

Sara65 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:02:13

We’ve taken our grandchildren to all sorts of places when they were babies, but never without their parents, you won’t enjoy yourself because you’ll be too anxious

Tell your daughter you can’t do it on this occasion , I’m sure she wouldn’t want you to miss out.

Sara65 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:04:50

Oh! I see now you’ve decided!
Good for you, hope you manage to sneak out for a while!

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 10:00:44

It could depend on the type of music, of course

cookiemonster66 Tue 11-Jun-19 10:28:28

We took our granddaughter to a music festival and bought her some kiddy ear protectors

ReadyMeals Tue 11-Jun-19 11:16:59

You could provide the best ear protectors in the world, but if the baby doesn't like wearing them, none of you will enjoy any of the event! Try them out at home first... Another consideration is music festivals typically are pretty unhygienic. I think after you've been in their toilets and washrooms you probably come out with more germs on your hands than when you went in. Can you keep a baby and their feeding equipment clean?

Purplepoppies Tue 11-Jun-19 11:20:38

I never took my daughter to Glastonbury but the amount of lost children was frightening! I don't understand why people choose to take kids to festivals.
Different for babies in prams , they can't get lost (one would hope)

sarahellenwhitney Tue 11-Jun-19 11:22:03

Music festivals inevitably attract crowds and even when the music cease are far from quiet. I would not take a four month old any where near one of these events.
What is so special for your DD, on the day you are going to one of these events,that she cannot put her own plans on hold and look after her own child.?

Pat1949 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:52:16

My initial thought was No definitely not. But I must admit our first daughter we took everywhere, and I do mean everywhere( we were vey young parents) without any adverse effects, we put her in the carrycot and off we went to all sorts of places. She's 52 now and reasonably sane.

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 12:02:50

It's a longstanding wedding invitation, sarahellenwhitney

Kerenhappuch Tue 11-Jun-19 13:13:55

Sorry, but I think you should tell your DD you can't babysit on this occasion unless your commitment to babysit is as longstanding as her commitment to go to the wedding. You need a life outside of being a grandparent!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 11-Jun-19 14:37:08

First I would stay no to babysitting, it won't be easy taking such a young baby to a festival. We took our gd, age 8 to a small festival when she had a broken leg and it was in plaster. I was in a barn with her watching a group from Africa singing and dancing, when I needed the loo. As the loo was very near by I told my gd to stay where she was and not leave the building, away I dashed and back within 5 mins or so to find her gone. My heart sank, looked around and as I was just about to leave I looked at the stage and there was centre stage, broken leg and all, singing with the group. Never again.

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 14:42:35

Oh goodness, if you read the posts you will see that this is a longstanding promise:
My DD asked me last year to babysit when she was pregnant. They have a wedding so their event came 1st.

Is there no-one else at all Abuelana? Other GP or an auntie?

It does seem a shame, but a promise is a promise

Allegretto Tue 11-Jun-19 15:28:59

I would do as you’ve decided.

maddyone Tue 11-Jun-19 15:52:48

My answer is that is that I most certainly wouldn’t take a baby to a music festival, I’d try to sell the tickets and not go. The promise to babysit is long standing and the parents can’t change the date, it’s someone else’s wedding. But I do wonder why you bought tickets for a music festival when you knew you were going to babysit on that date.

Magrithea Tue 11-Jun-19 16:40:12

Abuelana were the tickets complimentary? If not, why did you get them knowing your DD had asked you to look after the (then not yet born) baby?

kaz59 Tue 11-Jun-19 16:40:37

My daughter went to a festival on Saturday night and their friends took their 8 week old baby. She slept in a sling with ear reduction head phones on and they didn't have any problems. My daughter got a babysitter for her son as at 14 months old as he is to old to sleep in the pram and needs his routine. I think you should ask your daughter what she feels will be right for you all.

Sara65 Tue 11-Jun-19 17:35:44

Our grandchildren have been to lots of festivals, as a family or with their parents. Depending on the size, and if it’s just for the day, not overnight, the children have a great time. But, I would not want the responsibility of someone else’s baby

Barmeyoldbat Tue 11-Jun-19 17:37:13

I must admit that the festival we went to there was a whole load of mothers and babies who seem to sleep through the noise and caused no problems. I would say on reflection give it a go, you haven't anything to lose, you already have the tickets so just do as you planned.