Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bad mother ?

(59 Posts)
Babs54 Sat 15-Jun-19 12:50:14

Babs54

Hi I would like to hear opinions, I am trying so hard with my children ( all girls, adults with children ) I’m sick of being the go between ! One has a miff about what the others (or other one )are doing and I get the earache for it, this morning I asked them all to converse with each other and not through me as I was being asked ones plans for something another was doing . It blew into a full scale row culminating in me being called a bad mother ! I haven’t seen my two oldest grandchildren for 6-8 weeks although they only live less than a mile away, because I am now no longer needed for minding them. I’ve recently had a special birthday but because I was away I had a text off each of them and that was it ! I suffer from stress and depression but I don’t think I’m being unreasonable or selfish to have expected a bit more ! What would you think

Tillybelle Sun 16-Jun-19 21:10:10

blossom14.
Many Congratulations to you both on your Diamond Wedding!
That is a wonderful achievement!
It is lovely to hear about people who have been together for such a long time. I hope your dear Husband's health holds out well and yours too and that you enjoy much more happiness together.
????????

Tillybelle Sun 16-Jun-19 21:15:15

Caramelkeg I have been wondering if my offspring have noticed how many dogs I have moved in with me........
Ahhh! So much easier!

Mistymorningstar Sun 16-Jun-19 22:10:03

I have read/lived this script before & I'd recommend if you have a partner - just go on a cruise and chill out and relax and say nothing about going - families can make you weary, and whilst they are busy and buzzy as young, we carry it deeply and let it upset and depress us - you owe them zero - get out and cruise and enjoy your latter years for you - and your close partner/husband/friend. Enjoy dear heart, you earned it. xx

Allykat1946 Mon 17-Jun-19 01:02:26

Been there done that. One of my girls even disowned me as her mother and told me that she isn't my daughter and to never even mention her name.. that was 5 years ago. I learnt the hard way not to try and help with their personal problems...

luluaugust Mon 17-Jun-19 09:57:12

I am sorry they didn't acknowledge your birthday a bit more, it seems birthdays like Chri.... cards are now optional to parents. Perhaps try and make a definite date to see the GC you are missing and yes tell them to speak to each other.

crazyH Mon 17-Jun-19 12:23:08

Blossom, congratulations to you and MrB on your Diamond Wedding Anniversary. I see what you mean about a big party and you having to pay for it. My BIG birthday is due, and guess what, I am paying to take all 7 of them and 4 babies to London for the weekend. I am paying for the hotel stay and I suggested they pay for the meals. I think I have MUG written all over me ?

SparklyGrandma Mon 17-Jun-19 12:24:43

Or Kind Mum, crazyH maybe?

blossom14 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:33:46

Thank you Tillybelle and crazy H. Yes, like you have forked out for big family get togethers and might have considered it on this occasion but I was really concerned we would have to cancel our part in it at the last minute. So perhaps it appeared selfish to my girls that we kept to friends and as simple as possible.
I find organising big parties, venues, food etc. exhausting now.