Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Worry

(85 Posts)
cornergran Mon 24-Jun-19 11:34:48

I think we all feel better if we can answer ' if the worst happened what would I do'? Thinking of your situation dolly if you are in the UK in your van and have a recovery service which includes towed vehicles (most do, so don't worry about that!) they would get you back home if you tell them the driver is out of action and you can't tow the van. Also site wardens and other caravaners are incredibly helpful if you let them be. I am sure there would be offers of help with packing up and making the van safe. You'll know this if you think about it. In fact when we had our van and illness struck we did far better on a site in our own space than we would have done in a hotel. I'm a worrier, Mr C isn't and struggles to understand why my head goes to the worst case scenario. I do know how worries can take over but also that they can be diminished if a fall back plan is in place. Try to enjoy your break and when you get back home remind yourself that in spite of your worries all was well. Take care.

Grammaretto Mon 24-Jun-19 11:28:06

My dear old GMiL used to say she had to have a worry.
It kept her from thinking any worse thoughts.
People who worry or over- think things have too much imagination. You should channel it into something constructive/creative.

Insurance companies prey on people's fears and worries.
I'm on a forum (for a particular illness) where the talk is all about travel insurance and I told them to spend the money on medical research as any amount of insurance is not going to stop the accident happening.

Jane10 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:19:46

gt66 I agree. If worrying leads to you planning for all the what ifs then its worth doing. I'm a great one for plan A, B and C.
Burying your head in the sand or pretending 'its all fine' is a recipe for disaster. Hope for the best BUT plan for the worst.

oldgimmer1 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:15:19

Me.

Except my worry is mainly about work.

I think I've got that condition "imposter syndrome". I've always had it and it's bloody EXHAUSTING.

I'm constantly on pins in case some awful transgression that I've made, whether real or imagined - will find me out for being the inadequate failure that I am.

I can't relax once the working day is over and and try not to take holidays in case I'm "found out" in my absence.

I overthink other stuff as well but nothing close to my Imposter Syndrome worry!

gt66 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:14:14

I'm a great believer in being prepared for the worst, then it's never likely to happen and at least you have the reassurance and knowledge that if it does, it's better than not having a clue what to do.

crazyH Mon 24-Jun-19 11:02:58

Oh dolly - you're not the only one. I'm worrying now about my friend who is visiting from abroad. What shall I cook for her? Where shall I take her? I start functioning only by 9.30 a.m. Shall I tell her she should go down and help herself to breakfast? I am writing list after list. Things to do etc. I am even worrying about coughing while she is here. I suffer from a lung condition. So you're not the only one. Don't worry. Your husband will be fine. Keep your phone fully charged all the time. Keep tel numbers of local taxi services. Is it a touring caravan? Don't worry someone will help you. I'm sure you've membership of AA or something similar. Don't panic, that's the main thing.

Bridgeit Mon 24-Jun-19 10:59:33

I have a lot of empathy with you, I was once given this advice , If worry sorts out the issue then go ahead and worry,
Logic tells that worry doesn’t help so instead be practical & prepared, write down telephone numbers that you may need, dial 999 if necessary .
Don’t stay in a caravan if it & you are isolated from telephone connections etc , best wishes

SueSocks Mon 24-Jun-19 10:56:03

You sound like me! Husband is Mr Laidback. I am the one who worries about everything, his attitude is why worry, it won't change anything. He is right but I tend to think that some of us are worriers and it's hard to change.
Regarding the caravan, if you are not confident about towing, have you looked at organisations such as the caravan club and what they provide in terms of recovery in the case of illness? I think Green Flag also provide this sort of recovery. Might be worth giving the caravan club a ring to get some advice, you will have to join to take advantage of their services but it could money well spent if it gives you peace of mind.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Jun-19 10:54:12

I know it's difficult but try and not think about " what if ", it may never happen. Is it something specific that's worrying you ?

dolly56 Mon 24-Jun-19 10:48:10

Just wondering if anyone else is s constant worrier. It's exhausting, at the moment I on holiday with DH . we'll be in our caravan. He's been ill before and I had to call ambulance. Worry is how would we cope. Hopeless in caravan, wouldn't be able to get us back etc
I am learning the basic features but DH thinks I'm panicking. Maybe I am . Trying not to think it worst case scenario all time, but it's so hard. Think I may go for counseling. Thanks for reading