Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grey Hair

(68 Posts)
Diane227 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:40:24

Im just wondering how many ladies have let their hair go grey. Im 65 and still have mine done blonde with highlights , but im starting to worry about how much longer I can keep this up. Not only is it an expense at the hairdressers but I dont want to look like mutton dressed as lamb.
My hair is thick and I wear it in a bob. I dont suit very short styles.
Any advise about growing out the colour would be helpful.

Luckynan Wed 24-Jul-19 23:54:22

I am 72 and my hair is a fabulous shade of white, people assume I’ve had it bleached, I love it. I started dying my hair in my 30s I’ve been every shade under the sun but as the years went by the costs became ridiculous. About 5 years ago my hairdresser suggested just having highlights instead of full root recover. It took a couple of years to go from dark to a lighter shade but now I just get it cut every 6 weeks and I LOVE IT. I always assumed that I would just go grey so you never know what’s lurking underneath I am so surprised at the colour it is. So for all you ladies out there who are thinking about ditching the dye just go for it you might be very surprised, when I think of the money and time I’ve saved I wish I’d done it years ago

seacliff Wed 24-Jul-19 19:20:06

It's easier when you were originally blond. I had dark hair, and in quite a lot of places it still is. Some at sides and top is silver. The dark hair is faded looking from the sun, which stops it looking shiny.

So I can't just easily lighten it all to blond first, not without bleaching. If I just leave it I will look a mess for years. The mixture of extreme colours isn't a good look. I have a chin length graduated bob, I don't want to cut it all off.

It needs doing again now, still debating what to do as I have a wedding to go to this weekend. . I wish I could wave a wand and it was all silver.

Purpledaffodil Wed 24-Jul-19 19:05:09

Mine is now at just 70 almost natural, silver and white with a bit of blonde left at ends. I went gradually paler blonde until regrowth was almost unnoticeable. Still not totally convinced I like it, but hair grows and can be coloured so I’m waiting to see what it looks like minus the blonde ends. Too tall for a pixie cut- I’d get called ‘Sir’ in shops!?

Jules5555 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:40:48

Am totally grey but not ready to embrace it yet! Dye my hair dark blonde but it grows very quickly. Does anyone use root concealers? Have been looking at reviews but they just confused me so any recommendations gransnetters?

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Jul-19 21:46:40

IMO you can look old or young whatever your hair colour.
It’s the whole you that can look good or not.
There are plenty of frumpy old looking women with dyed hair and many fabulous looking women with grey hair.
I, naturally(!) belong to the latter group.???

Happysexagenarian Tue 09-Jul-19 21:08:52

I'm 69 and I decided to reveal my natural grey colour 3 years ago. I LOVE it! My hair is white now and darker silver at the nape. My hair is short and I have a soft perm every 10 which makes it easler to style. I used to have it coloured (blonde with highlights) but it became ridiculously expensive to maintain.

jenpax Tue 09-Jul-19 20:19:13

moggie57 good for you!What should a nanny look like!

HillyN Tue 09-Jul-19 20:07:48

After retirement at 60, I chose to 'go grey' by gradually dyeing my hair a shade lighter each time until it was a very light ash blonde. I got a fair few compliments about the lighter colour so decided to go the whole hog; I used a semi-permanent colour a few times until all the permanent colour had grown out (my hair is chin length). Then I just let the semi-permanent colour fade out so I was my natural grey/white. I love it and my hairdresser does too- she said she had younger ladies in asking to have their hair coloured my natural colour!

GrandmaMoira Tue 09-Jul-19 18:40:25

I have been using semi permanent die at home for years. I gradually lightened from medium brown to light and now lightest brown. I did stop colouring a few years ago but didn't like the colour. I would be happy if my hair was white or an even grey but it's not so I keep on colouring.

Folkestone78 Tue 09-Jul-19 17:26:09

I had always coloured my hair as I began to go grey in my early forties. Eventually it just got too expensive to keep up with, and I found that two weeks after having it coloured th3 grey started to show again. Also, when I looked at photographs I though the coloured hair didn’t really match my face, it didn’t look natural eventually. I bit the bullet, had it coloured blonde and managed to go grey without having too much of an obvious line. I am now totally grey and have been for some time( I am 58), no going back, so much easier without having to spend hours and a great deal of money in the hairdressers. I do try to keep it cut in a modern style as my hair has a mind of its own and can look a bit frumpy unless I blow dry it carefully. I would recommend going grey... if you find you don’t like it you can always get it coloured again, good luck!

Greciangirl Tue 09-Jul-19 17:12:17

I am 73, and all my life I have had black hair.

I have also been dying it since I started going grey, a long time ago now.
Trouble is, the grey is really starting to show through now and I’ve stopped using whole head dye.
Instead, I use the root touch up dye.
That’s works for a while.
I don’t know how much longer I can carry on with this routine. But I do know that when the grey starts showing through, I feel drab and depressed.
I really want to let go, but it’s like an addiction.
And I keep giving in.
Also using one of those Magic touch up sprays.
Sad, or what?

sharon103 Tue 09-Jul-19 16:31:30

(Gasp) Let my hair go grey Diane? Wash your mouth out lol. I'm too vain for that.

hulahoop Tue 09-Jul-19 15:46:00

I went grey very young never been bothered about it aging me most people said it didn't .

KnittyNannie Tue 09-Jul-19 15:41:26

I’m now seventy-three, and had coloured my hair ash blonde for years. Last year I realised that I wasn't fooling anyone and decided to let it go grey. I washed it in a purple shampoo until it had grown out, which made the difference between grey and blonde less noticeable. I am so pleased I did it. The important thing is to keep your hairstyle modern.

Theoddbird Tue 09-Jul-19 15:33:47

Nanaval4G I was worried about looking older but don't. I have had compliments about my silver hair. I usually wear silver eyeshadow to
match... Silver or grey hair is so fashionable now. Even younger people are going grey.

Nanaval4G Tue 09-Jul-19 15:09:27

I am 76 and up until last year was colouring my hair, then for no reason I can think of decided to stop. Everyone now comments on my hair, and I was even told recently that I look 20 yrs younger

moggie57 Tue 09-Jul-19 14:56:47

i'm coming up 62 and yes i still colour my hair i have
always had dark brown hair .yes i grew the colour out and went grey. omg never again ,i looked so old and decrepid.....i only colur it every 6 months .recently had it cut and styled after years of shoulder length hair. daughter hates new style me. why.? because i dont look like a nanny should .well tough luck daughter.....

Patticake123 Tue 09-Jul-19 14:52:30

I stopped having it coloured when I retired 9 years ago. I couldn’t stand the hours spent in the hairdressers and the cost was significant. Mine is now natural two tone. A bit like a badger really. White on top and a grey colour at the sides and back that defies description. Much darker than I ever was (I think). Good news is, I keep it in a fashionable style and I get a lot of compliments which I didn’t when it was dyed. Go for it!

Jani Tue 09-Jul-19 14:44:03

Well I have just had my 65th birthday and still have a mixture of golden highlights put in - have a few grey hairs but keeping it golden blonde I hope as long as possible - like crazyH
grey isn’t my colour - whatever colour I go I am just thankful I have lots of hair still.

Quizzer Tue 09-Jul-19 14:41:30

I think it depends on what colour you started with. Friends whose hair was dark look great with natural silver hair which compliments their darker skin tones. If you were fairer, but not really blonde, and like me with fair skin, you can look washed out. Try a very light caramel or ash colour, no need for expensive highlights

dogsmother Tue 09-Jul-19 14:21:58

61, a bob with white ( okay grey ) fringe and a few bits near my ears but all natural and I do get good comments and one was actual “hair envy”. But i do go @nd get it trimmed every 6 weeks. I couldn’t be doing with spending money on dye.

Tinker18 Tue 09-Jul-19 14:21:10

I'm in a fab Facebook group called Gray and Proud, full of lovely supportive people who have embraced their natutal colour. I've found it very helpful during my own transition (2 years 4 months in)

Lancslass1 Tue 09-Jul-19 13:36:45

I am 78 years of age
I would quite like to be silver grey but my hair is boring mouse.
I haven’t got any grey hair as such but two natural Mallen streaks of what I like to think are ash blond at the side of my face so I have highlights in ash blond on the rest of my hair because I think lighter hair is more flattering when one gets older.
I don’t wish to offend those who dye their grey hair burgundy or black but anyone who does that should not ,in my opinion ,have a parting because it doesn’t take long for the grey roots to show.

TwiceAsNice Tue 09-Jul-19 12:52:07

I am nearly 66. Still dyeing/highlighting hair and will go on at the moment. It was grey for a while when I was I’ll a few years ago because couldn’t get to the salon and I hated it

Theoddbird Tue 09-Jul-19 12:44:24

I started dying my hair metallic silver. I was dying my hair light ash Brown before that. By using silver the transition was easier... I used Schwarzkopf. They have shampoo dye for in between colouring which also helped. I love my silver hair