Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Clairvoyant Medium

(89 Posts)
Stoker48 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:43:20

Just interested if any of you ladies, in recent times, have visited one of the above and were happy with your reading?
I appreciate that clairvoyants and mediums “ tap into” different levels ie Mediums potentially could make contact with loved ones that are no longer with us and clairvoyant perhaps more about predictioning the future.
Thank you x

henetha Tue 23-Jul-19 10:45:39

I had my palm read once in a small town I had never been to previously. It was frighteningly acccurate. I used to dismiss things like this, and only did it for a bit of fun, but it changed my mind. He knew so much about me that it was uncanny.
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio".....

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 11:13:25

I wouldn't go now but when I was young and silly I went with a friend to have my fortune told.

The house stank of cat wee (seems to be common) but what she told me came true and was totally different from the way my life was headed at that time.

I was engaged to a fair haired man, she told me I would marry someone with dark wavy hair, have 6 children, live abroad and lots of other quite minor details.

I'd be too scared to go now.

Dee1012 Tue 23-Jul-19 11:42:43

Quite a long time ago I was out shopping.
A woman approached me and asked me if she could speak to me for a moment, I started to make excuses and walk away when she said a man's name and that he needed to tell me something.

The name belonged to someone very close to me who had died a long time ago, she then told me that he was so pleased I was going back to Dublin and he'd be with me and not to miss St Michan's, she then took my hand and pointed to a ring I wear and said "he got that for his 21st".
She then just walked away.

The name was my dad's and yes, I wear his ring and it was a birthday gift to him. At the time, I was also preparing for a trip to Ireland, a place I visited with him a lot as a child and we'd always visit that particular church as I was fascinated by the mummified remains!

I can't explain any of what happened and while I'm pretty sure many of the people claiming to do this are fakes, I do think there are some who do have a genuine gift/ability.

DanniRae Tue 23-Jul-19 12:22:58

I believe that we don't have a clue about what life is really about. But some people have a little more of a clue than others and can tap into a 'something' and be able to tell people things they wouldn't be expected to know.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Jul-19 13:46:30

Like many people things have happened in my life which makes me believe there is something ‘beyond’. Some things are like echos from the past, but others - premonitions, insights, etc - have no explanation.

I wouldn’t trust a clairvoyant who does it for a living and can apparently turn on his/her ability at will.

Beckett Tue 23-Jul-19 14:44:50

I am open to the concept of an afterlife, however, if a loved one wanted to make contact why would they do so through a stranger?

Last night, unable to sleep, I was thinking about how much I missed my late DH, suddenly the light on my phone lit up, no ringing, no buzzing, just the light. DH letting me know he was still around?

MiniMoon Tue 23-Jul-19 14:47:23

I worked in a Nursing Home before I retired. One night, one of the carers from the floor below came upstairs to ask me something. I was sitting taking a break and she sat down opposite me. She said "don' t look round, but there is a man standing behind you". She went on to describe my late grandfather, she even told me that his hair turned white before or around his 40th birthday.
My mother confirmed this as she was born when her dad was 40 and he always had white hair.
This carer told me other things, and was very helpful when my daughter had a psychic dream that worried her.
She didn't make money out of her gift, she just liked to help people.

Judy54 Tue 23-Jul-19 14:53:17

I don't have any experience of Clairvoyants or Mediums and have never felt the need to see one although I can understand why some people do. If it brings them comfort fine it is just not for me.

paddyann Tue 23-Jul-19 17:32:25

My daughter when she had just learned to speak used to tell us about a wee girl who sat with her at night ,she was a bigger girl then her but didn't go to nursery and she SHOULD have lived with us.She also talked about a policeman who "knew her great gran"and a family that she lived with years ago where she had a brother and sister.
All the ramblings of a child or was she talking about the sister she never knew and who was never spoken about ,the policeman was Great Grans dad who died before she was born while on duty ,as to the other family ...although she often pointed out the family home I couldn't bring myself to find out if a family there had ever lost a wee girl .They do say that children are psychic until they reach about 7 when it tails off.Who knows ?
My daughter still sees and hears things ,usually before they happen and writes them down .She cant do it on demand though even when friends have asked her to .

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:24:46

I certainly believe very many people who call themselves psychics and mediums are out to prey on the vulnerable....and make a lot of money from people's grief, which I think is despicable.

However, I can say for sure there are people who get extra knowledge from somewhere. I am one of them.

I could have made a fortune over the years but have chosen not to. I don't even speak about it now...except here grin

All I have to do is touch someone, hold an item, or even concentrate very hard on them - and that's it.

It's like a little movie in my head. It does not seem to be predictive of future events (wouldn't that be useful on a racecourse? )smile but I get images of their lives.

Once, for a very short time and long ago, I went to a Development Circle at a reputable Spiritualist Church where they had some very stringent tests to prevent fraudsters.

I passed all the tests and was 100% accurate in the subsequent readings.
What astonished me was how exhausted I felt afterwards.

Margaux Wed 24-Jul-19 10:15:33

It happened after my mother's death. I was grieving and decided to go to a a kind of spiritualist service one evening. I cooked myself a quick meal, frying a piece of steak and briefly popped out. When I went back to the kitchen, the frying pan was on fire. I remember that I wasn't sure whether to pour water on it or not. It was sorted.

That evening, the medium looked in my direction and then picked the woman sitting behind me. 'You've set a frying pan on fire,' she asked? The woman was polite. She didn't think she had, but she was so careless, it was just the kind of thing that could happen to her. 'Be careful,' was the message.

All this is now some thirty years ago. I draw no conclusions. It could have been coincidence, I suppose. Or you could say that it was rather uncanny. I really don't know. I just have a` feeling that there are powerful forces - in one's mind or even maybe beyond - and that one should be careful. Not to mess with the unknown.

Jan66 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:21:56

Some may very well be con artists (cold reading etc) - but there are some out there who are the real deal as I have witnessed from experience. I would suggest visiting your local Spiritualist Church.

lmm6 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:24:25

I just think if you don't treat it seriously it can be quite fun. I've been to one or two and some things have been right but mostly not. However, someone I know was in a queue the night before her wedding and a lady who she didn't know standing beside her told her not to go ahead with her marriage as it would be disastrous. It was.

Margaux Wed 24-Jul-19 10:28:44

And the question, 1mm6 is this - could it be that this lady's marriage turned out to be disastrous because her mind had been conditioned by the prediction of the person standing next to her in the queue?

sazz1 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:30:03

Having visited a few over the years I have to say only one has ever told me anything that came true. She was very accurate on all 3 things she told me. I think most are just in it for the money.

Grandmabeach Wed 24-Jul-19 10:34:16

I would not consult one but did go to a small dinner party once where a medium was present. The host claims not to have told him anything about the other guests. He asked to hold my watch and said I was concerned about the tall trees at the bottom of my garden (we had just found Dutch Elm disease in our Elm trees), and that we were also concerned about birds (we had a new house with large windows and the birds kept killing themselves flying into the windows). Neither of these had been mentioned during the evening. He also said I loved to travel and had already decided where I wanted to go next. He told me to go and I would have a wonderful time. On the way home my husband remarked he got that wrong. No - he was correct. That afternoon I had picked up a brochure at a Travel Agent and decided where I would like to go next but had not mentioned it to my husband.
He also told one person to check the tyres on his car. His car was OK but the tyres on the vehicle he used for work were not. A third person had a message saying Thank You for the roses. She had put roses on her husband's grave that afternoon.
Just a few facts which I remember but they were all true. How on earth he knew we have no idea. I still would not go to a large gathering for a medium/clairvoyant who will always find someone in the audience with a vague link.

spabbygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 10:35:29

There are some things that this world can't explain & this is one of them. There are a lot of charlatans around but there are some very genuine capable people, a friend of mine is a gifted clairvoyant. I've done it myself, I held someone's ring once, I said 'this has been in a fire' & it had, I don't know what made me say that though. another time I held someone's bracelet & said a snake had crawled on it only to discover she kept snakes. I can't explain it, nor can anyone else but it works.

polnan Wed 24-Jul-19 10:39:05

I`ll go with Beckett

ok. I will stick my head above the parapet.

I am a Christian, and we are told no to this sort of thing

however. I do try to keep an open mind,, I do think/believe that there is another "world" alongside this physical world... I do believe that there is something after death here.

I have been to a clairvoyant when I was young,, some positive, but trivia...but mostly not... wouldn`t go to anyone who wanted paying, that is so contrary, imo, to what it is or should be about.

I do believe that our loved ones are near to us.. whilst I don`t recall having my mum, for example, directly speak to me, but I do feel her around/near... can`t explain it in human language..she has been dead 50 years now.

so I try to keep an open mind, but I am sad that there are so many charlatans about..
if our loved ones want to communicate with us,, I think they would do so, not rely on someone else.

NannyBarbara13 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:40:23

I had a reading done 6 weeks after my mother died in 1997.
As soon as I walked in the lady said " your mother is here"
There is no way on this earth she could of know that, at the booking I only gave my first name and I am not someone you can read by just looking at me. As the reading progressed my mum asked about a particular necklace, letting me know she knew I was doing work in my house that she had never seen and to use the dinner service she had given me a few years earlier. Then to top it all, the lady said " your mum said to tell you her hair is fine"
One of the last things my mum said was to me alone was to make sure her hair was right after she died.
There are clearly some things we will never understand.

inishowen Wed 24-Jul-19 10:46:05

My friend's son went to Australia and was waiting for a bus. A young man joined him and asked if he'd gone to Belfast College. It turned out they were in the same classes.

Mistymorningstar Wed 24-Jul-19 10:58:16

Years ago they were genuine - found one who told me i was going to London and would end up living there, (long before i had any interest in travel) told me acting was very good for me (i studied for 3 years and worked in theatre for 5 - but did't tell her) and so here i am living in London since 1976. Have been to a couple in the last few years and they have come up with absolutely zero which is accurate.

Notsooldat75 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:09:51

I had the strangest experience with a friend who is a medium. We were having lunch at a local cafe when she suddenly started yawning so hard that her eyes were watering. Her comment was “that’s odd, someone is trying to get through to you (me) but can’t”, I asked who it was and she said “I think it’s your dad, he says, not to worry, everything will be all right”. My dad was killed in the war when I was not quite three.
My immediate reaction was not to believe her, so I said “Well, if it really is my dad, what name did he call me by?” (It’s a name that only he and my long since deceased older family knew), and blow me down, she came back with that name!
There is no way she, or anyone else, even my children, could have known it.
It rather changed my view as a non-believer, I can tell you!

GloryB Wed 24-Jul-19 11:32:58

A few years ago my daughter went with a friend to a spiritualist church on the other side of the city. The medium told her her granny ( my mum, who died in 1979) wanted to know why she had given up dancing...a talent which had skipped a generation and gone from my mum to my daughter. Also why had she taken to wearing big shiny workmen’s boots.? My DD had recently bought a pair of knee length, black patent lace up boots! ....and no, she was not wearing them that night.

schnackie Wed 24-Jul-19 11:37:13

I am with those who 'keep an open mind'. I agree that most are charlatans who read body language or make obvious guesses but frankly if I had lost a loved one and was grieving without end, it would be worth wasting a bit of money to me if I got some comfort from someone who claimed to be in touch with them.

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-Jul-19 12:31:23

I think most are charlatans, and a significant number do prey on the vulnerable, so please be cautious.

But I do believe that some people have a genuine gift, and that small children are often attuned to spiritual things in a way the rest of us no longer are.

Many years ago, I bought some lace from a Romany at the door. Without asking for extra payment, she read my palm and told me surprisingly accurate things about my life at the time and my future. The one big prediction was that I would be very, very wealthy very, very late in my life. If the news of that massive lottery win does finish me off, I’ll get DH to let you know. grin