Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sons

(123 Posts)
Squeeky Fri 26-Jul-19 07:47:36

Hi everyone! I'd love to hear your experiences of adult sons. I'll explain myself first, I've 3 little boys, the latest just a few mths old. I was blown away by the negative comments people were saying when they heard it was another boy, they really upset me! Its made me anxious about the future with my darling boys. I love them with all my heart and am a stay at home mum so they are my life and I love that. But everywhere I look I see grown up daughters hanging out with their mum's and I myself have a very close relationship with my mum and not with my in laws. I've had women randomly come up to me and say oh I had 3 boys too it's all good till they get married then u won't see them for dust. People have quoted the dreaded a son is a son till he finds a wife one and every woman needs a daughter said to me. So basically I'm looking for u experienced ladies to give me some feedback on grown sons that will hopefully put my mind at ease that their is still a relationship with their mum's when their all grown up! Sorry for the long post I could rant about it all day lol

MamaCaz Tue 30-Jul-19 22:29:11

I have two sons (no daughters), and now I have two lovely daughters-in-law too. What's not to like? I certainly don't regret not having a daughter!

Squeeky Tue 30-Jul-19 22:21:39

All these lovely mother son relationships have really made me feel good x

Squeeky Tue 30-Jul-19 22:18:09

Lol suppose there it's exceptions to every rule but personally there does seem to be something to it! No respect for your mother isn't a good sign x

Davida1968 Mon 29-Jul-19 11:30:51

We have friends (two couples) who have three sons and four sons, respectively. (No daughters). Both couples remain very close to all their sons. Same for us and our DS (only child). And we all get on well with all the DiLs, too. So there is hope!

Shirls52000 Sun 28-Jul-19 23:45:29

I have 2 boys and a girl and although I am very close to my daughter, especially since she had her first baby, I am also close to my boys who are 29 and 35. I was out for a meal with my eldest only 2 days ago and we try to eat out once a month or at my house or his sisters. My youngest son lives in London now but lived with me on and off until he was 27. Although I don t hear from him as often as I d like he always heads for home when he has time off and is coming back in a couple of weeks with his girlfriend. He always heads home for Christmas, the only exception being when he was in Australia. All three are very different but all head home and I love that they are comfortable making themselves at home with me when they return. However they all have their own lives to lead and I m just happy that they continue to do that and yet know I am here if they need me. I ve always got on with girlfriends and welcome them into the family with open arms. If my boys love them then that’s good enough for me. Just enjoy and love the time with your boys and they will know that they will always be welcome at home and they will visit xx

FlexibleFriend Sun 28-Jul-19 16:36:53

I never had daughters just two sons to whom I'm very close so can't say I've ever missed having daughters. I haven't missed out at all, far from it and wouldn't change it for the world.

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 15:41:16

I have one of each, but DS is the only one to have married and have children. He lives 200 miles away and one way or another we are in contact most days. We are currently all in France on holiday together.

Ignore the moaning minnies, they are ignorant fools.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Jul-19 13:54:30

That is a well known saying isn't it Squeeky so our ES's awful wife better look outgrin.

Squeeky Sat 27-Jul-19 22:39:30

That sounds wonderful, your husband sounds lovely, they say you can tell what a man is like by how he treats his mother, so u are lucky ?

Florence64 Sat 27-Jul-19 18:04:22

My husband is the youngest of 4 boys. He is especially close to his mother and is very like her in looks and temperament. She says she never wanted girls and is very happy to have had 4 boys. My husband sees her several times a week and she lives near us. Her other sons do see her, but they are not as close to her as her 'baby'!

Scentia Sat 27-Jul-19 06:38:07

My Son isn’t really close to any of us, he has a lovely wife and her family are most definitely more of a feature in their lives than we are. My SiL however is a real Mummy’s Boy. Nice to see most of the time but it drives my daughter to despair sometimes when he won’t even have a S#%T without checking with his mum first. (It isn’t really that bad, my DD does exaggerate sometimes, just for effect???)

Grandma2213 Sat 27-Jul-19 01:11:56

I agree with those who say that the sex of your child is irrelevant. They are all different personalities. I have 3 DSs each unique, but all caring in different ways. I get on well with their partners (and ex partners) but try to let them all live their own lives. However I know that every one of them and their partners are there for me if I need them (and vice versa). Nearly all of my birthday and Christmas gifts involve time out with an individual DS for a theatre trip, film, meal etc with some special occasions organised where the whole family including DGC are involved. So you see some DSs do hang out with their mums. Enjoy your boys. Make memories and they will make them for you in the future.

crazyH Sat 27-Jul-19 00:57:21

Mahy - that's so sad and hurtful. You have to leave when DIL arrives. You were totally left out one lunchtime!!. That's downright mean and nasty. Dils do tend to gravitate towards their mother and family. I suppose thats to be accepted. But they should respect their m.i.l andlove them too. I am also single, so i am not often asked to babysit. Just don't dwell on it too much. Enjoy your life ! x

Solonge Sat 27-Jul-19 00:25:04

Squeeky….honestly, like most things its down to the individuals involved. I had a daughter first, then two sons.... all within 2 years and 9 months. I gave up nursing for 6 years and stayed home till the youngest started school. My parents were quite strict, whereas my husband and I had few rules, and any rules had to have a good reason for being there. I loved being a mum, adored the kids, and loved watching them grow. We always had good relationships. I encouraged all of them to live their lives to the full, travel, see the world, don't be in a hurry to marry or settle down. My daughter has lived abroad for 15 years, but comes back for summers and Christmas and we visit her regularly too. My youngest lived abroad till he married then when they were expecting they moved back and live five minutes away from us and the inlaws. We have two grandsons from them and see them at least a couple of times a week. My eldest son is married and lives in Scotland and we see him maybe three times a year and Christmases or New Year are spent with us. This summer we are all spending a week in a villa in Spain. We have good solid relationships with all three of our kids and 'Im sure you will have the same with your boys.

Lumarei Fri 26-Jul-19 23:39:17

I have 2 daughters and 1 son. One daughter calls daily the other daughter and my son don’t call very often but when we get together it is always a wonderful and occasion and I feel very close to them.
It’s not the gender but the personalities of parents and children that determines your relationship with each other as well as the relevant partners.

Tangerine Fri 26-Jul-19 22:42:35

Take no notice. Every family and every child is different.

Don't worry about what's going to happen years from now. I know you have to consider the future but try to enjoy "now" with your young sons.

Doodle Fri 26-Jul-19 21:59:36

I have 2 sons. I love them, they love me. I also love my DILs and think they are wonderful parents to our DGC. Not all bad ?

Overthehills Fri 26-Jul-19 21:53:16

I have one of each and I can honestly say that they’re equally great. I also have the best DDiL in the world, as someone else said, like a second daughter. But they are totally different, totally unique. I’m sure you’ll raise lovely sons Squeeky. ?

Coolgran65 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:46:50

I have one son and three stepsons.
Also 5 grandsons and one granddaughter.
So I'm pretty much male surrounded.

Love two dils like my own, another lives n another continent so closeness isn't easiest to nurture about we get on ok. The 4th dil is no longer around.

All 4 sons keep well in touch including those who live abroad....Even if one could be a little more proactive...needs a nudge now and again. smile
Those who are local we see at least twice a week.
We do one day childcare for each of 3 dgc.
anyone who is a available comes for Sunday dinner....with no pressure if they don't fancy doing so.

They are all different, the dils are all different.

We do our best to make everyone welcome and hope for the best.

mahy Fri 26-Jul-19 21:36:04

I had a son who is now part of the DIL family. I am a single mother and have very limited access to grandchildren, as I am alone and they can only spend time with the other grandparents because they're are 2 of them and can give the children what they need, apparently I can't. I'm not sure what that is, my son calls me when DIL isn't there so I can see the kids, maybe once a fortnight and then I have to leave when the DIL returns. She makes me feel very unwelcome and I am never included in xmas or birthday or other celebrations although I am allowed to give gifts but must leave shortly afterward. I was there one day at lunch time and meals were put out everyone except me. I had overstayed my welcome. I constantly walk on egg shells and know she says mean things behind my back as her friends are rude to me and I live in anticipation of the day that the children are the same.

Squeeky Fri 26-Jul-19 21:29:33

Also someone said about blue and boys toys been outdated, unfortunately no it is still very much a big thing! I try my best to keep things neutral, I've even bought dolls to have a neutral selection of toys! Whilst they do like dolls sometimes they are adamant about blue, I think I could be the media because I never pushed the colour and I always correct them when they say pink is for girls, yet the notion is stuck in their head, same as every other child I know. And the still gravitate more to boys toys. I think boys toys are the coolest anyway lol

Squeeky Fri 26-Jul-19 21:19:13

One of you was saying you would be disappointed if you got a girl and she want your soul mate, that's an interesting point, recently my friend said to me if be best not having a girl because my expectations would be to high and I'd be disappointed. She doesn't get on with her mother as they are so different and recently she had a daughter and worries the same will happen with them. If I had a daughter sure could be the anti christ ?

Squeeky Fri 26-Jul-19 21:10:44

I would love to reply to each comment individually as I find all the different perspectives so interesting. Every time I pick up my phone my kids call me to do something so can't reply to all lol I'm so pleased to see so many great relationships with sons! It's crazy how people had really gotten into my head since I found out I was having a third boy, first few comments I shrugged of but after dozens and dozens I started to let the negativity in. I have no sisters only men around me so I think I have rose tinted glasses on with the thoughts of female family! I think the best people to ask advise of are the grandparents, they have seen it all, hence me asking on here for advice. Me and my boys are so well bonded and there is so much love, I can't imagine not seeing there little faces every day, I suppose it's the thought of them growing up is scaring me lol after reading these comments it's cleared it up for me a lot. Next time I need advise I'll be sure to come on here! X

Madgran77 Fri 26-Jul-19 20:26:38

To be honest I dont think it has got anything to do with sons per se! Adult relationships between parents and children depends on different personalities, upbringing, life events, partners they meet and so much more. Bring your sons up as you choose, build a relationship and stop worrying flowers

Amagran Fri 26-Jul-19 20:07:17

As Greciangirl says: Who knows how our adult children are going to turn out, to which I would add, it doesn't matter whether they are a boy or a girl. I have been very fortunate to gain a second daughter and second son when my son and daughter got married. All four of them look out for me and for my husband. However, there are also people on Gransnet who are estranged from, or exploited by, their sons and their daughters.

Congratulations on your three sons. Ignore the people who project their own preferences and problems on to you and your lovely boys. I bet you will have a lovely relationship with them.