Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to buy grandsons

(63 Posts)
iamali1 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:53:56

I have twin grandsons and would like to buy them something each year along with a personalised letter which I plan to give them when they are 18 (I do this for my granddaughter) but have no idea what to put aside for them in their box. I have jewelry for my granddaughter, but that doesnt seem always appropriate as there will be only so much a boy can wear/use?

gransal Mon 29-Jul-19 00:33:03

I'm afraid mine would prefer cold hard cash. 20yr old got driving lessons on his 17th and car deposit on his 18th. the thing I did give him was his dad's ST. Christopher medal when he passed his driving test. The rest of them will all get the same.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 02:47:55

In 18 years whatever you buy may be deemed old fashioned/dated.
You have no idea whether your GD will like earrings, bracelets, necklaces or rings and your choices may not be hers.
Likewise, with your GS and you have less choice as men, especially young men aren't really into jewellery...not even watches.
Why not put money away and they can buy what they prefer?

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 02:52:04

Whisky glasses or cufflinks at 18? Haha

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 03:10:29

I really don't know why some of you are suggesting stuff like a newspaper for every birthday for 18 years. Can you imagine an 18yr old reading 18 year old papers...yellowed with age?
Technology is their interest but tech as it will be circa 2037.
Put money in a 5% savings account for a year and keep moving it every 12 months to get the best rates or, as others have said, premium bonds.

Newquay Mon 29-Jul-19 07:25:09

Funnily enough, quite recently, I decided DH and I would no longer buy gifts-toys/clothes-for our 6 DGC. Instead, on birthdays and at Christmas, as others have said we’re going to buy them Premium Bonds now it’s dropped to £25 although it is a faff buying them. Wish they’d make it easier!

crystaltipps Mon 29-Jul-19 07:35:19

I’m with the money - yes, stuff no camp. I guess gold, diamonds etc will always be sellable, but why take the risk?

notanan2 Mon 29-Jul-19 10:17:36

Premium Bonds now it’s dropped to £25 although it is a faff buying them. Wish they’d make it easier!

You can do it on internet banking. Just set up a yearly standing order

notanan2 Mon 29-Jul-19 10:21:47

The newpaper thing is obsolete now anyway since you can view the news on X day in the past online.

When I was younger there was no way to see the news on the day you were born unless either someone saved it for you or your trawled through reels at the library. And even then it wad only briefly intetesting, and once you'ld read it you'ld read it...

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 10:24:17

You could buy them on-going Beanos, or other comics. Put them in a folder. At eighteen they would probably love them.
Although I guess they would wonder why you hadn't given them to them all along.

Lessismore Mon 29-Jul-19 10:25:02

A load of ale , a shed load of money to waste and some condoms.

Bathsheba Mon 29-Jul-19 10:35:05

That's one of the best ideas Gonegirl. And you could always buy 2 of each copy and give one to them now - well, for as long as they're interested of course - and they'd get a kick out of seeing them all over again when they're all grown up eighteen.

leyla Mon 29-Jul-19 10:59:07

Depends how much you want to spend. A nice pen. Ditto pencil. Dice. Playing cards. Smart key fob. Lapel and/or button pins. Leather bound notebook. Comics. Stamps. Model car. Model figure (e.g soldier/super hero) or small bronze model. Shot glass. Swiss Army knife. Binoculars. Leather jewellery/wrist band (Fossil make nice ones).