Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help me deal with paternal grandparents mainly MIL?

(69 Posts)
velgrace Wed 31-Jul-19 18:38:05

I have a 9 month old baby. I was a working mom until he turned 8 months. My MIL watched him one day a week all day. I stopped working because I want to be there when he starts talking and walking. My MIL wants us to continue the arrangement of one full day a week and I said no. She wants us to drop off my son at her house for full days or us to take him to her. I am still breastfeeding so I don’t want to pump to arrange for that full day she wants with him and I don’t want to miss if he walks and talks randomly. My MIL and family are welcome to come visit him at our house any day but they don’t want that option. They want to take him, I feel bad that it’s been 2 weeks they have skipped on seeing him because they don’t want to visit him at my house but they want to take him only. I need advise how to deal with my MIL and not cause a bigger conflict I know they think I’m ungrateful because they’ve watched him before but I was working then. Also now I’m bonding with my family on the weekends and my MIL wants to take the baby all Saturday sometimes I said they can just visit instead. I want my son with me I use to work 16 Hrs before I don’t want to pump anymore. Am I being selfish.

Namsnanny Sat 03-Aug-19 15:37:16

Too much faff and bickering.

Hithere Sat 03-Aug-19 12:42:02

Velgrave

Don't have a talk with your in-laws. What is the point/goal for it? For them to see where your logic comes from? So she realizes you do not want to hurt her by you spending time with your son?

If you talk to them, they will think you are being unreasonable with your pov.
Cry cry cry from your MIL as she loves her baby and you do not want to share. She will be scared to lose the "bond" she has with your son and how important are grandparents and extended family in the child's life. How a baby is always happy and therefore healthier to receive all the love the baby can get.
Your dh will sit down there like a deer in the headlights and will even attempt to negotiate a visitation schedule or for you to drop the baby every x weeks for x hours so everybody is happy.

This talk with further damage the relationship with your ils. If that is your goal, go nuclear, this talk will achieve it.

Concentrate on getting your dh and you in the same page.
Go to marital therapy. The mommy's boy you married needs to be a husband and father, not a son.

PECS Sat 03-Aug-19 10:02:15

Compromise! Ask MiL to care for your son for an afternoon whilst you go get your hair cut/ naiks done/ meet a pal for coffee/ go shopping ..whatever. Just do not make it a regular thing..occassional and maybe twice one week nothing the next! Once things become regular they become expected & that can lead to problems! Take control but be kind. She loves her grandchild so don't be mean! You may need her care one day.

Madgran77 Sat 03-Aug-19 07:29:38

Namsnanny the OP has explained why she inadvertently ended up drip feeding. I dont think she is resistant to suggestions as such ....just that sugfestions have made her realise that other information is relevant in the problem!

velgrace good luck. Glad that you now realise the importance of your husband's behaviour in this problem. Hope you can work through this together with your husband and let us know the outcomes. flowers

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 03:20:49

NamsNanny
Your post here is extremely unkind to op.
OP I am glad my words helped you. I think the difficulty is the guilt you carry because you are putting your child's need and your own needs before others especially when it is someone elderly. Helping should come with no strings attached. If this was the case, i would not be as hesitant as i am with my childcare arrangements. I am glad some mils share this viewpoint, i am guessing those are the mils that have good relationships with dils.

Namsnanny Sat 03-Aug-19 02:50:12

Not at all sure what the point of this thread is anymore.

Not enough information, then resistance to suggestions.

Talk to your husband talk to your inlaws, stop looking for validation for your perspective.

Good luck

velgrace Sat 03-Aug-19 02:44:37

MaternityLeave please find any other alternative but the MIL route they start to feel like the baby is theirs and ask you to care for them as if you were them. My MIL tells me what she would like me to feed him, how she would like me to bath him and so on ever since she cared for him. Your post helped me so much to confirm my stands as well and I thank you for that. I agree with everything you said including that she developed ownership while I developed guilt.

I am very thankful for everyone’s posts it helped me so much to realize my problem can be solved through my husband since he has never said no to her. He will have to learn to do so now just like I would deal with my family if they were overstepping their boundaries.

I didn’t mean to feed the information slowly I was just trying to summarize it as much as possible don’t mean to upset anyone here.

It was never my intent for my MIL to have to make an effort to be in my daughter’s life.

I will attempt a talk with my in-laws in the next few days and post the outcome as I would have liked to find out when people resolve their issues or concerns with everyone’s help on the forum.

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 02:00:58

Also i would like to point out that your MIL has ONLY looked after your son for 16 days in that period of 4 months. That does NOT give her the right to demand access to your son. For the poster that said a baby connects to his carer and attempt to measure that to the connection with a mother... by carer do you mean 16 days in comparison to the 9 months OP carried her son, or the evenings and nights and weekends she spent with him or the first 12 weeks. Even the smell of OPs clothes will be soothing to the baby. More so than the grandma. I agree grandmas have a special place in a childs life. They love and spoil them. But if this grandma continues this way well the child will grow to resent her for making his mothers life difficult even if op tries to shield him from it all.

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 01:24:28

Veigrace, you have my sympathies. I too have an 8 month old son. First and only child and a mil who is pressuring dh to allow her to care for him instead of nursery. But for the problems you are facing, i am resisting.
I think its unfair for grans to say “when u needed her she was there, now you are denying her”. This is the very reason DILs are cautious and hesitant to actively involve mils as it is thrown back in your face. They develop ownership and you develop guilt. It is irrelevant if u have a daughter or is this is your last child. It is still your child and you have the right to spend time with him. My advice is do whats best for you. Reading your post and the responses from grans that have taken the view that your MIL has a right to have access to your son has helped me make my decision. Goodluck OP. You have my sympathies. Stand your ground. Visit mil if you can and leave your door open to them. Xxx

M0nica Fri 02-Aug-19 20:55:05

How many children and when is one of those issues that should be throughly talked through and agreed on before you marry.

Whatever the cause of your DH's decision, you should have found it out and talked it through.

Doodle Fri 02-Aug-19 14:53:58

I agree with trisher. You ask advice but don’t give the whole story then keep adding bits. Advice then becomes useless as we don’t know the whole story and offer help only on the bit we do know.
All I will say is now that you have two children, they must be brought up together as siblings and should be loved equally. Your sister doesn’t really come into the equation in my opinion. Brothers and sisters are not the same as grandparents and they can go off and live their lives and have their own children. Grandparents often (and should) love their grandchildren very much. I am less certain now where your MIL is coming from but whilst you cannot expect her to care as much for your daughter as her grandson, she should never make your daughter feel unwelcome or unwanted as that is plain cruel. I still don’t see why you and your husband can’t take both children to his mums sometimes. Perhaps with young children herself she can’t always leave home. If you live that close to each other it shouldn’t be a problem.

trisher Fri 02-Aug-19 13:19:52

I don't realy see how you can ask for advice when you don't clearly state the problem in the first case. This drip-feeding of information is not helpful.

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 13:11:09

It sounds to me as if the issues are between your DH and your MiL. They need to be addressed.

You should not have to separate your children. Your DD will notice this and wonder why granny doesn't take her.
Stick it out - you are home all day to be with your children. This is your time. Enjoy it.

Minniemoo Fri 02-Aug-19 13:00:22

I had a daughter when I married my single, childless husband. Had my mother in law acted like yours I think I would have been far less generous than you have been.

She doesn't want to share time with both your children? Then she can forget about it.

When I answered your original comment I felt sorry for your mother in law. That's gone right out of the window!

Just let her get on with it. If she wants to cut her nose off to spite her face then let her.

It's cruel and hurtful to your daughter to be excluded like this.

Hithere Fri 02-Aug-19 12:58:03

The fact that your dh does not want to have more kids as he had to raise his siblings must be addressed in therapy

It was not fair for him to be put in that position and must learn to heal

It is also not fair for you to limit the number of kids you and your dh want to have due to untreated childhood trauma

Hithere Fri 02-Aug-19 12:52:41

You need marital therapy with your dh.
Does your dh realize he was parentified?

Has he ever told her no? Given consequences for her tantrums nd boundary stomps?

So your MIL shows favouritism - very unhealthy and damaging to your kids. Huge red flag

Your MIL does everything for her kids, including the adults - why doesn't she teach them to be independent functional individuals in society? Another red flag

Your MIL doesn't like you - your kids will notice the tension between you. Adult problems stay with the adults, do not involve the kids.

Your Mil has a grandmother/aka mother fantasy in her head and your stopping work messed it up. She wants her second mommy experience no matter what.

Your sister's reaction to your decision to stop working - healthy

You do not owe your MIL anything. You are the mom. Not her.

Have all communication go through your dh. She wants a visit? She calls your dh, you and dh talk about it and he communicates your decision.

You and your dh decide - 2 yes/no method.
Example: MIL wants to give us a night of and babysit (be ready it is coming) - you both say yes for this to happen or nothing!

Summerlove Fri 02-Aug-19 12:35:08

Your mil is acting nuts.

You are incredibly kind and forgiving to allow her to have a relationship with your child when she dislikes you and your daughter so much

Keep the door open, but do not bend over for her. She can see the child, just not on her own terms.

Quite honestly, and I’m sure I’ll be challenged on it, but as your son ages I’d be worried about her filling his head that his sister isn’t his sister. Only “half”. Ive sadly seen this happen many many times

velgrace Fri 02-Aug-19 10:42:35

My sister who babysat 4 out of the five days was thrilled that I would stop working. She said she was glad so I could spend time with my kids and bond with my son now that he was more active.

I didn’t mention it but I live exactly 15 minutes away from my MIL.

velgrace Fri 02-Aug-19 10:35:09

My MIL was never okay with her Son marrying me because I was a single mom much so that when I bought a group ultrasound and invited my mother sister and my MIL and Father in law they said they didn’t want to attend. However when they saw my baby for the first time they couldn’t keep their hands off of him because my son looks exactly like her 12 year old son. Her baby out of the 5 kids she has. My sister in law told me that she often found her mother talking to my son and calling him by her brothers name. I feel that she wants to relive her time with her own son. She greatly insisted that I should stop breastfeeding at 6 months because she said there was no benefit to the babies anymore after that point. She insisted it was to give me a break from the stress of pumping but I said no.

How much warning did she get that I would stop working well she got plenty or too much I would say. I told her I would stop working when my son turned 6 months and she insisted I should continue to work so I can save up more money before I stopped. Then she continue to say babies don’t remember anything don’t worry just work a few more months and I got to the point I said no I want to stay home with my kids and told her I put in 4 weeks of notice at work so she got the same amount of notice that I would no longer need her to take care of my child.

I looked for advice on how to handle the situation because I felt bad about the situation but after going through all the posts I feel better about my decision. I am not cutting her off she can visit. I believe she doesn’t wNt to visit because she has a lot to do at her own house since her 12 year old boy, 17 year old boy 15 year old girl and 27 year old girl still live at home and she has to do everything for them that she has her hands full. Her 27 year old is like another mother to her kids and so was my husband so she has always been upset that when he left he couldn’t help her anymore with the 3 youngest kids.

She has told me to my face that she didn’t want me to marry her son but he looked like he loved me so she had to accept it. The same with my father in law and I just want to keep things civil for the baby but I don’t see why it can’t be at my home as much as they would like they can visit. But since they haven’t fully accepted me into their family that’s probably why they don’t feel comfortable coming to my house that they prefer that they keep previous arrangements from the past 4 months.

velgrace Fri 02-Aug-19 05:19:43

And no MIL did not try to establish a relationship with my 6 year old in the 5 years of relationship I had with her son and one year of engagement and one year of marriage.

velgrace Fri 02-Aug-19 05:15:28

My MIL took care of him one day per week from month 4 to month 8 of his life.

velgrace Fri 02-Aug-19 05:13:24

I’m sorry I just realized I didn’t clarify I did take maternity leave and cared for my baby for the 12 weeks after birth so my mother in law asked me to allow her to have one day once I went back to work despite the fact that I said I already had a baby sitter (my sister) for the full week since my sister was already caring for my 6 year old daughter as well. The other people that want more time with the baby are my husbands brothers and sisters he has 4 siblings they all want to have tome with the baby since they still live with my MIL. My MIL youngest kid is 12 years old and the oldest is 27. I sometimes would like to say she still has a pretty young child to focus on who needs help with school work but I understand is not the same.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Aug-19 00:13:18

If your husband accepts your 6 year old, really it's time his mother tried a bit harder I feel. I do understand her feeling excited now that her son is a father - but he was a father before that when he took on the fatherly role for your daughter.
Did she visit at that point? Did she try to build a relationship with your little girl? You say "mother-in-law and family" - who else wants the baby? Is it your husband's siblings?

If I was you I would find it quite hurtful that your mother-in-law seems to be cutting your daughter out. She needs to spend time with you as a family I think. Not just with her new grandson.

But, please don't save all your family time for your parents either, share it about a bit. Do, of course, also make time to grow strong as a family team, and spend time together as a family of four too.

Because of the need to reinforce the idea of your family, I think I'd want to visit her as a family^. Continue inviting her to your house but don't allow yourself to get stressed if she doesn't come. Maybe suggest your husband calls her to ask her to, say, join you four for a picnic - perhaps she will find it harder to be rude to him.

And yes, as others have said, ask him to please support you and not make you out to be a person who needs convincing.

Finally, you have been pumping milk for your baby for months. What a relief to be able to stop this. Enjoy your time with your little family free of the constraints that pumping brings. Don't let this be spoiled by people outside your family whoever's they are. Keep offering to share your days with her, but don't think you are a bad person for feeling that you want to be with your son. You cannot help the way you feel and only you know what you are feeling deep inside. I am sure you have done the right thing in giving up work if you can manage financially. In 50 years time you will not look back and say "goodness, I wish I'd worked more and spent less time with my children". The early years fly by and soon your daughter will be at school and the dynamics will change again anyway.

I do hope you are able to resolve this soon. And I do hope your husband helps you do this.
Good luck.

Callistemon Thu 01-Aug-19 23:26:04

It wasn't.
It was a statement of fact.

A child bonds with its carers.

Summerlove Thu 01-Aug-19 23:19:00

Still no reason to be unkind.