Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Buying a 2nd hand touring caravan

(14 Posts)
Grammaretto Fri 02-Aug-19 10:32:29

It's going to be moved today. Hooray!
Thanks everyone and especially to Gillybob and Mr G for holding my hand through the process.
I know they will love it.

callgirl1 Thu 01-Aug-19 17:58:46

Good decision Grammaretto, your children are very lucky. We loved the years that we had caravans, went all over with them, were very sad when we had to sell due to ill health.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 17:53:06

Grammaretto we found it was well worth joining the Caravan Club so we could use their 'CLs', as someone mentioned on here. They are small sites with no more than 5 vans at a time, and they are in some of the loveliest locations imaginable. Also , the Caravan Club have their own sites with full (very clean) facilities which is useful with young children if you are going for more than a long weekend.

I miss our caravan.

Grammaretto Thu 01-Aug-19 17:43:04

I've done it! The seller has accepted my offer.
Thanks for all the encouragement.
Can't wait to get it to its new location and the family can enjoy a weekend or two before the holidays are over..

Luckygirl Thu 01-Aug-19 09:21:47

We had a caravan - small, second-hand. It was an absolute joy and the children loved it - they used it as a play house when we were not on hols in it. If the weather was nice one weekend, we would just sling a few bits in the van and off we would go to certificated locations (small sites) within about 50 miles; so nice spontaneous weekends away as well as holidays.

We did several summer schools with the children, which they loved, and we would book as day members and go and stay nearby in the caravan so we did not have the expense of the board and lodging.

I am sure your family will love you forever for getting them a caravan!! smile

Urmstongran Thu 01-Aug-19 08:52:02

Sounds to me that in your head you’ve already made the decision Grammaretto
?

I hope it all works out well and that your AC and DGC get years of pleasure and enjoyment from their early inheritance. Lucky things!
☘️

annsixty Thu 01-Aug-19 08:46:25

In that case go ahead.
Caravan holidays are wonderful for small children.
They quickly make friends, they have freedom, it is their home and parents have few restrictions as in a hotel.
We had hour upon hour in ours and loved every minute.
When they are asleep, that drink outside , knowing they are so tired and will sleep well , is bliss.

Grammaretto Thu 01-Aug-19 08:32:45

Thanks for your advice. It's really appreciated. I don't want to rush into it but sometimes an opportunity arises and you just have to make that decision.
We have been talking about it with them for ages. It isn't on impulse.

It would be theirs - not ours. We would help to finance it, but it would be their inheritance anyway. They're getting it early. If we have enough that is.

As for choosing it. Ofcourse it would be better if they could look at it and maybe they can but they live miles from anywhere and have small children. There are photos galore and they like it, especially the layout and that it has a motor mover and has been well cared for and it's in very good condition.

Calendargirl Thu 01-Aug-19 06:37:34

Yes, is it something they have said they would like? I know lots of people love their caravans, but many others seem to find the reality of owning one is not what they expected. There always seems to be lots of second hand ones for sale.

ginny Thu 01-Aug-19 00:06:54

I’m not sure buying a caravan for someone else is not something I would recommend.

Do they want one ?
Where will they store it ?
Will their car be comparable. What sort of inside layout would suit them best ?
Probably many other questions too.
Lovely of you to want to treat them but better to include them in the choice.

oldgoat Wed 31-Jul-19 23:55:46

Before you buy the van Gramaretto check that their car will be powerful enough to tow it and that there aren't any pockets of damp - a common problem in caravans.

Grammaretto Wed 31-Jul-19 23:04:36

Thanks gillybob. That's very helpful. Before we take the plunge.

gillybob Wed 31-Jul-19 22:55:54

I will PM you Gramaretto as my DH is a bit of an “authority” on caravans .

Grammaretto Wed 31-Jul-19 22:41:58

I am poised to buy one. Not for us but for our AC and DGC. I've been to see it. It looks great. I have never owned a caravan before so am a total newbie but I want to believe it will save money in renting cottages and give more freedom to roam.

What do Gransnetters think? Will they use it? The person who's selling it says his DC and DGC never used it as they spent their hols in Lanzarotte etc. but package holidays are not our scene or our DC's.

I value your views and experience please especially any pitfalls to look out for..