Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Giving birth in the 60s & 70s, what was it like?

(200 Posts)
Purpletinofpaint Fri 02-Aug-19 11:45:16

I'm curious to learn what it might have been like? All I know from my own dm is that she was shaved & had an enema before delivery & that her legs were up in stirrups & babies were kept in a separate room. What do you remember?

annsixty Fri 02-Aug-19 15:40:46

It was quite brutal wasn't it, I heard some awful remarks from the nurses.
One mum called a mardy bitch in front of other people.
My second was a home birth, it was lovely.

callgirl1 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:48:05

First baby in 1963, I was in town and felt a bit "off", rang a friend on the telephone exchange where I worked, she got a man in the offices to take me home in his car, he then walked with me to the nearest house with a phone, to call an ambulance, then went to hubby`s workplace to tell him. My daughter was born 3hrs 12mins after first pain, I had stitches, was in a 3 bed ward, babies kept in nursery at night after last feed. We each had our own tray containing nappies, nighties, spare cot sheet, and cream, under strict orders not to use anyone else`s. Was supposed to be in for 10 days, but accidentally sent home after 7.
Baby 2 born 13 months later in 1965, at 3.30 am, hubby had to get on his scooter to the phone box half a mile away to call the ambulance, which couldn`t take him to hospital as he was going to a premature baby straight afterwards. Was supposed to be in 3 days, got an infection and was there for 2 weeks. This time was in an 8 bed ward.
Baby 3 was going to be born at home, due Jan 2nd, but just before Christmas the doctor at the clinic said I was anaemic and needed a blood transfusion before the birth, so the day after Boxing Day I was admitted to (a different) hospital, gave birth on New Year`s morning at 6.30 am about 30 minutes after the first pain. This hospital also kept babies in the nursery overnight, but the ward was a very long one, and babies cots were in a line down the middle of the ward, only allowed to pick them up at feeding times, which were strictly adhered to. I went home after 3 days.
Baby 4 was born at home. I had my first pain around 11.30 am, waited till more frequent then went to the shop round the corner to ring hubby, so he could set off home, then rang the midwife, they arrived together, and my son was born at 1.10 pm, in the front room. Being at home was a much more pleasurable experience, so repeated it with baby 5, but this time upstairs. The only problem was I missed the second half of the Dave Allen show! Hubby was there for that baby as well, he loved seeing his 2 sons born.
After that I was sterilised, or would have probably ended up with 10 kids!

Minniemoo Fri 02-Aug-19 15:49:14

My mother had both her children in a private nursing home in 1957 and 1961. She always told us that she didn't feel a thing as she was knocked out with some substance ... goodness knows what ... but that story never changed. I know we weren't c sections so unsure how these miraculous, painless births took place. She said she had a lovely time whilst in there. She stayed for a fortnight. The staff (mainly nuns) were lovely and it sounded like an idyllic time!

callgirl1 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:52:39

Incidentally, I never have had that blood transfusion I was sent in hospital for in 1966!

Grannyjay Fri 02-Aug-19 16:30:43

It was a French king Louis (I think he was called) who decided women should lay on their backs to give birth. He had many children and liked to watch the mother push out the baby and said the birthing chair obstructed his view. This method became widespread as doctors took over midwives role as they said they could see better. The cutting became more common as the doctors said it was easier for them to repair a cut than a possible tear. Laying on our backs prolonged giving birth and cutting delayed healing causing more pain. By the way King Louis was suspected of being a pervert. I had my first in 81 and was given an enema and cut. They also had my legs straddled in the air and students came to learn how to sew us women up! We used salt baths but it was banned because it corroded their pipes.

Minniemoo Fri 02-Aug-19 16:38:01

That's interesting, GrannyJay. Thanks for posting, I never knew that. I was told the salt was taken away due to cost but maybe the pipes did come into it!

Namsnanny Fri 02-Aug-19 16:54:40

Midgy...put your reply on the moaning thread and give everyone a laugh ?

Calendargirl Fri 02-Aug-19 18:30:06

Minniemoo.
My mother was given what was called “twilight sleep” when she had her first baby, seemed to be a pretty painless experience as she was asleep I think.?

When I was born three years later, she had a younger, more modern GP, (both home births), he didn’t seem to dish out the twilight sleep, she said it was very painful!?

BlueBelle Fri 02-Aug-19 18:36:36

minniemoo both my mum and Nan told me they had had ‘twilight sleep’ and knew nothing about the birth
I have no idea what twilight sleep was I m going to google it

BlueBelle Fri 02-Aug-19 18:43:23

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFRPx7d_eU
This is what I found about Twilight sleep
I must say my mum seemed to be an advocate of it and said she never had any pains We seemed to bond ok and I didn’t have any health problems that was 1945

Blinko Fri 02-Aug-19 18:43:30

My Gran had that twilight sleep. I believe it was chloroform.

sodapop Fri 02-Aug-19 18:51:37

1968 one week in the nursing home after the birth. I remember a painful episiotomy as well, they seemed to be done routinely then.
1974 2 days in hospital then home.

Fennel Fri 02-Aug-19 18:54:28

My first was born in '62 in Hope Hospital Salford. After a prolongued labour, I eventually managed to push out the poor little boy.
He was lacking oxygen and they rushed him to an oxygen tent. TG he survived, but I wasn't able to touch him for 3 days.
Very good care in that hospital. TG he's still going strong .
In '63 I had my second boy at home - no problems. I can't remember any med. help. The midwife was there most of the time and the GP for the delivery.
'66 my daughter was born in Singapore in hospital- another fairly straightforward birth, bless her.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Aug-19 19:07:32

blinko see my post above yours it was not chloroform

Avor2 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:08:31

Son was born 1974, went in two weeks early because of high blood pressure, waters broke that evening, the midwife was wonderful, said I would give birth by morning and baby would be 7lb ish. Was in labour all night the nurse was back and forth keeping an eye on me, given the enema, had a shave, I spent all night reading the same paragraph in Lord of the Rings (therefore haven't been able to read it ever) went down to delivery room, buckets of gas and air (wonderful) and DS was born 6.30 a.m. and was just under 7lbs in weight. DS was jaundiced so needed 3 hourly feeds so they kept him in nursery for 2 days until ok then he slept in the cot at bottom of bed, he slept so well but all the other babies screamed all night one after the other, so as the other mums slept I went from one to the other trying to calm them (nightmare). Stayed in for 10 days, they looked after me so well, my experience was fine happily, things have changed so much.

craftyone Fri 02-Aug-19 19:27:22

1971, first baby, 8lb 2oz. Same as most, shave and enema and just made it to the loo. Stirrups and massive tearing down below. They did not get me stitched until the next day, I still suffer the effects today to some extent. Bed baths down below with salt water, very soothing, 10 days in hospital. Only 23 and naive, no idea about the process. No pain killers and no shouting, pain was awful. I had 2 more babies, best experience was no stirrups when she had me sideways with one leg on her shoulder. Epesiotomies for both because of the previous tearing

Minniemoo Fri 02-Aug-19 19:31:06

Thank you so much Calendar Girl and BlueBelle! And yes, Mum used to talk about midnight something but it was obviously twilight and she'd forgotten! Not surprising seeing what it was like! She used to say that I'd have my children this way as it was the 'normal' way.

Well, I must phone my sister and tell her. The 60 year old mystery has been cleared up!

Thanks for posting the clip as well. Seems that it wasn't a euphoric event for all.

TwiceAsNice Fri 02-Aug-19 20:10:20

DD1 born on 1975 in the hospital where I had worked on special care as a nursery nurse. 6 hour labour , delivered by two midwives I had worked with so very good care. Shaved and enema( you think you’ll never make it to the bathroom I time) and several stitches. I had Pethidine which made me high as a kite. Made them give me a wedge to lean on to push ( you can’t push lying down, ridiculous practice at the time.

I breastfed easily ( and there was breast feeding sister to help you who I also knew) I wouldn’t let them take her away at night as I wanted to feed on demand ( got my way as I was “staff”.

Husband stayed whole time , she was a week overdue, I stayed in hospital 10 days, 3 days before due to high BP and 7 days afterwards as was normal at the time.

Next two children born in 1980 and 83

sodapop Fri 02-Aug-19 20:13:24

I remember telling the midwife I didn't want to breast feed, her response was
"Get on with it woman you have nipples like chapel hat pegs " The good old days eh ?

M0nica Fri 02-Aug-19 21:15:02

I had children in 1971 and 1973. First was very overdue and very unwilling to make his way into the world, he was very comfy where he was, so I was taken in to the GP unit to induce birth, which was done by breaking my waters. When things still didn't happen I was moved to the local general hospital and 30 hours later DS made it into the world with the help of forceps. I do not think either enemas or castor oil were involved, although I was shaved. Nor do I remember stirrups, although they must have been used for forceps birth.

I was kept in hospital for a week after th event because I was an 'elderly prima gravida'. I was just 28.

Second child labour lasted 4 hours, she was nearly born in the car. No time for shaves or anything else, I was due to be discharged after six hours, but as that would have been 6.00am, I stayed in until 10.00am

Second child,

Elrel Fri 02-Aug-19 22:24:12

Christmas Eve 1963, I went to bed about 10 feeling a bit unwell. Waters broke and blood spotted the floor so I was taken to hospital by midnight. Not many staff, I was told ‘First baby, it will be hours yet’.
Understandably the nurse were more concerned about the mum-to-be the other side of the curtain. She was deaf, unable to have her hearing aid as it interfered with staff bleepers. She had also lost a full term baby (cord around neck) a year before, poor woman.
I did mention when anyone passed by that my baby was coming but just got the smiling reply that it would be hours yet, until someone looked under the covers and agreed with me. No time for shave or enema, to my relief! Baby rapidly and safely born and taken to nursery by 1:20am. After shivering with chattering teeth for a long while I diffidently said I was cold to someone passing by and was given a cellular blanket. I didn’t see a doctor or anyone much until my tear was stitched sometime time later. I was so pleased to hear that the deaf lady had safely had a little girl. We were the second and third mums to give birth on Christmas morning! We were taken to a ward and later given a pretty baby’s pillow case as a present and a welcome glass of sherry. The Christmas turkey was carved on the ward by a doctor and we pulled crackers. I felt as if I was sitting on hot knives. I had no idea that this was the stitches until I had my second baby and just felt a bit sore!
Summer 1976, a lovely early morning in a rural setting. The local ambulances were both busy with an RTA and a cardiac arrest. The baby arrived in half an hour, well before the ambulance, was expertly ‘caught’ and checked over by someone more used to horses! Two teenagers in the household were fascinated by it all and surprised at the noise I had made. I thought I could here a distressed cow nearby but it was me! A midwife who lived opposite was called over and dealt with the placenta. She wasn’t best pleased as she was on an early shift and was all ready in a crisp clean uniform! Newborn and I were taken to the hospital to be checked over. On the birth certificate it says BBA - born before arrival!
I feel I was lucky to have a baby so easily both times, I just seemed be naturally good at giving birth quickly!

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 01:12:24

Catholic hospital with nuns and midwives attending- No enema, no shaving- Mother and sister were with me for the first and a friend for the second- Photos were taken of the babies by hospital photographer - The nuns offered basic childcare instructions and were very kind and supportive- Each birth cost 500 dollars -

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 01:17:53

Sorry .. Mine were born in the early 80s!

harrigran Sat 03-Aug-19 04:52:00

First born in 1969 in hospital, 24 hour labour after being induced. Remained in hospital for ten days.
Second born at home after 26 hour labour, had baby on a Saturday morning and DH went back to work on Monday morning.
Both births were posterior presentation and extremely painful so had no wish to add to family after having one of each.

Willow500 Sat 03-Aug-19 07:32:55

I'd forgotten about the salt baths - the bath was in the middle of a huge empty room and we were encouraged to use plenty of salt!

Also the castor oil given with orange juice to make it more palatable - I was lucky enough not to have that but remember others in the ward trying to get it down.

The ward round each day with the usual 'have you had your bowels opened today' question. After all the enemas and castor oil it was little wonder not many answered yes grin