Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

You're married and...

(106 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 03-Aug-19 12:30:35

not taking your husbands name. I know this is not that uncommon now. Are you Ms. Miss or Mrs. It's a bit odd calling yourself Mrs (Your maiden name), sounds a bit like you married yourself. Or you are your mum. Or you married your dad. Which is even worse. I think it's reasonable to be Miss or better Ms. (Your maiden name)
Any experience in your family? Thoughts?

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:42:23

When two people marry, they become one

grin I'm sorry, they what???

SirChenjin Tue 06-Aug-19 16:41:57

When two people marry, they become one

grin I feel a Spice Girls song coming on <waves lighter in the air>

sharon103 Tue 06-Aug-19 17:24:12

I married in 1975 and in my neck of the woods it was the done thing to take the husband's surname and to be Mrs. We must have been behind the times. Not one person I know kept their maiden name after marriage. Never heard of it.
I'm divorced and still happy to be Mrs, after all my children have that surname.
I'm ready for the outcry on this one....... people with double-barreled names in our area are the wealthy. I only know of two families.
Blimey, I've been educated today. lol
Our village needs to get mod.

Iam64 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:38:35

When two people marry they become one

Really? Do they? How does that work? Do they both give up their individual personalities, never disagree and always want the same things? I don't know anyone like that.

I gave up my last birth name when I married the first time. I always regretted it and when we divorced, I reverted to my fathers last name, the one I'd had from birth. I debated with myself whether to take my mother's birth family name, or my maternal grandmother's last name but decided to stick with the name I'd had most of my life, till that first marriage. I married (bravely I thought) again several years later. We discussed the name thing and agreed I'd stay with my name and he'd keep his. 40 years on, it's still working well. WE never did become one but that doesn't seem to have spoiled anything or made us any less married.

Pome Wed 07-Aug-19 20:11:26

Have always been a Mrs - really don't like Ms. Kept my married name after the divorce, partly to have the same surname as my children & partly to REALLY annoy my ex!
Recently married my partner of 26 years but kept the original married name. After 45 years of having this surname, I balked at taking a new one. Also it would have cost a lot of money to alter bank accounts, house deeds, utility billing etc. My new husband's fine with this decision. All he said was "Just as long as we're married."