Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How old were you when your first grandchild was born?

(206 Posts)
SueDonim Mon 12-Aug-19 20:40:17

Fifty-five here, which felt a bit young, maybe because I still had my own 13yo dd at home!

Minniemoo Mon 12-Aug-19 20:38:53

I'd had my first daughter when I was very young. She was very much planned though. She was far more sensible than I was and had her first child at 27. I was 47. It did come as somewhat of a shock at the time!

I'd married again and had 2 more children who were still quite young at the time so it felt weird to be so 'young' and a Grandma!

The comment your acquaintance made was ridiculous and best just ignored.

Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:34:02

43 when the first one arrived and 61 when the last one came 4 years ago. Big age difference in the cousins smile

love0c Mon 12-Aug-19 20:33:11

What an unkind and untrue thing for this person to say! I was 60 and my husband 61 when our first grandchild was born. Both our sons went to university and therefore started with married life and children later than our generation did. All their friends have been late starters as they too went to university. I think it is more the norm now for parents to get grandchildren later. We plan on living till 110 at least!!!! So plenty of time to enjoy the grandchildren. You enjoy yours!!!

Septimia Mon 12-Aug-19 20:31:43

59 - and I wasn't really ready then. No regrets, though.

My cousin was 39. I don't think I'd have wanted to be that young.

Juno56 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:24:00

Hello, new member here. I joined because my first grandchild will be born in late November. I am 63 and hadn't thought I was particularly old to be a first time grandma. However, when I mentioned the baby to a (slightly older) acquaintance she said: "ooh that's very late; I was under 50. You might not see her grow up"!! I was so taken aback that I had no response. It set me wondering though, as young couples delay starting a family it inevitably means that grandparents are older than was the norm a few years ago. So if people don't mind sharing, how old were you when you became a grandparent?