Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Head lice treatment.

(36 Posts)
SpringyChicken Tue 13-Aug-19 22:49:52

Hair conditioner and nit comb. I've heard that using hair straighteners will kill the unhatched eggs by cooking them.

Ionia Tue 13-Aug-19 22:34:58

When my daughter was wee it was the 'wet comb' method - as above conditioner and find toothed comb.

jusnoneed Tue 13-Aug-19 13:17:06

I always used the conditioner method, a lot easier and cheaper. and no nasty chemicals. Get a large bottle of the cheapest conditioner and plaster it on the hair. Leave it for a few minutes and then start to comb through hair with a fine toothed comb. You will be amazed at how many of the blighters you get. After you've had a thorough go at it and stop finding nits wash as normal. The hair is left lovely too which is a bonus! I used to do it again after a couple of days to get any that were missed as eggs.
Repeat regularly to keep on top of the problem.

Marilla Tue 13-Aug-19 13:03:51

I would ask the pharmacist. I would definitely use a recommended nit lotion with the nit comb. When clear of lice and eggs are dead, then keep up with the conditioner and combing regularly. You need to treat whole family.

EllanVannin Tue 13-Aug-19 12:56:06

Can you buy Derbac soap still ?

tanith Tue 13-Aug-19 11:15:02

Yes combing with conditioner is the best thing the treatments sometimes don’t work at all.

Farmor15 Tue 13-Aug-19 11:14:29

The ones that are just shampoos and claim to kill lice in one treatment definitely don't work! The lotions you leave on for a while and then wash out usually need two treatments, despite instructions. I think latest advice is repeated fine combing of wet hair after using conditioner. But as others said, ask pharmacist.

SirChenjin Tue 13-Aug-19 11:13:40

Forget the treatments, they often don't work - combing small sections of hair using a nit comb and lots of conditioner is the best way of dealing with them. The NHS website recommends 1, 5, 9 and 13 to catch any newly hatched head lice and then checking again that everyone's hair is free of lice on day 17.

kittylester Tue 13-Aug-19 11:09:54

What sal said. Ask.

It's all changed since when my kids had it in rotation and weren't allowed in school!

shysal Tue 13-Aug-19 10:58:25

I suggest you ask the pharmacist. They are very knowledgeable.

Howjado Tue 13-Aug-19 10:53:08

Please help. I am standing on the chemist looking at the array of head lice treatments on the shelf. Which one work?