Head lice treatment.

Howjado Tue 13-Aug-19 10:53:08

Please help. I am standing on the chemist looking at the array of head lice treatments on the shelf. Which one work?

shysal Tue 13-Aug-19 10:58:25

I suggest you ask the pharmacist. They are very knowledgeable.

kittylester Tue 13-Aug-19 11:09:54

What sal said. Ask.

It's all changed since when my kids had it in rotation and weren't allowed in school!

SirChenjin Tue 13-Aug-19 11:13:40

Forget the treatments, they often don't work - combing small sections of hair using a nit comb and lots of conditioner is the best way of dealing with them. The NHS website recommends 1, 5, 9 and 13 to catch any newly hatched head lice and then checking again that everyone's hair is free of lice on day 17.

Farmor15 Tue 13-Aug-19 11:14:29

The ones that are just shampoos and claim to kill lice in one treatment definitely don't work! The lotions you leave on for a while and then wash out usually need two treatments, despite instructions. I think latest advice is repeated fine combing of wet hair after using conditioner. But as others said, ask pharmacist.

tanith Tue 13-Aug-19 11:15:02

Yes combing with conditioner is the best thing the treatments sometimes don’t work at all.

EllanVannin Tue 13-Aug-19 12:56:06

Can you buy Derbac soap still ?

Marilla Tue 13-Aug-19 13:03:51

I would ask the pharmacist. I would definitely use a recommended nit lotion with the nit comb. When clear of lice and eggs are dead, then keep up with the conditioner and combing regularly. You need to treat whole family.

jusnoneed Tue 13-Aug-19 13:17:06

I always used the conditioner method, a lot easier and cheaper. and no nasty chemicals. Get a large bottle of the cheapest conditioner and plaster it on the hair. Leave it for a few minutes and then start to comb through hair with a fine toothed comb. You will be amazed at how many of the blighters you get. After you've had a thorough go at it and stop finding nits wash as normal. The hair is left lovely too which is a bonus! I used to do it again after a couple of days to get any that were missed as eggs.
Repeat regularly to keep on top of the problem.

Ionia Tue 13-Aug-19 22:34:58

When my daughter was wee it was the 'wet comb' method - as above conditioner and find toothed comb.

SpringyChicken Tue 13-Aug-19 22:49:52

Hair conditioner and nit comb. I've heard that using hair straighteners will kill the unhatched eggs by cooking them.

absent Wed 14-Aug-19 05:30:34

I am not sure whether modern lotions are quite so powerfully toxic as they were in the days when absentdaughter's primary school seemed to be infested with head lice throughout an entire year. Dousing one's child with strong pesticides doesn't seem the healthiest approach. Using a nit comb while the hair is well coated with conditioner is relatively painless, extremely effective but very boring anbd time-consuming.

The problem is that there is always at least one child in the class whose parent either doesn't belive her/his little one has nits/lice or simply can't be bothered to do somethiing about it. Consequently, re-infestation of those with pest-free hair frequently occurs because young children spend a lot of time at school/nursery bending over things with their heads together.

BradfordLass72 Wed 14-Aug-19 05:55:25

We use Tea Tree Oil here and I know its sold in the UK, so if what you bought doesn't work, try that.

www.boots.com/boots-tea-tree-oil-20ml-10015945