Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughter having mastectomy

(31 Posts)
Nanabanana1 Mon 26-Aug-19 11:28:39

Any Ideas for a gift to give my daughter when she has her mastectomy. She is having her operation in a couple of weeks time and I am going to look after her when she comes home. Wanted to give her something before she goes in hospital.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 15:25:09

I also didnt disagree with you re drain bags:

I just added that:
They can be obtained for free but often the materials can be "old ladyish" so one in a style in keeping with the DDs taste might be nice
BUT
Dont spend much as it wont be in for long, if at all.
And she may assiciate it with the drain so may not want to re-use it after

eazybee Mon 26-Aug-19 15:26:14

A cashmere or similar 'poncho'; luxurious and easy to wear; you simply put your head through the hole without having to strain arms into sleeves. You can wear it in bed or when lounging elegantly at home on the sofa, hopefully.
Good luck.

dragonfly46 Mon 26-Aug-19 15:29:55

Just for your information notanan the cushion I mentioned is a tiny v-shaped one to hold the arm away from the side and protects you from the seatbelt in the car etc. I did not buy it - it was sent to me by a very kind group of ladies I found on FB who also sent me a bag to hold the drain. These items are donated and are free of charge. I was just saying it was another option. I have obtained a lot of information from current FB sites where people are exchanging their experiences and giving up to date advice.

agnurse Mon 26-Aug-19 15:52:33

Just ensure that any PJ's you buy for her are made from very soft material. Often the skin at an operative site is very sensitive after surgery, and can remain sensitive for some time afterward.

Nanabanana1 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:04:47

Thank you all so much for the advice. You are all very kind, love the poncho idea would be right up my daughters street.