Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cats

(60 Posts)
Newquay Thu 05-Sep-19 14:40:47

Just seen a post on FB stating that in Oz owners can only have 2 cats and they must be kept indoors from 8pm-7am. What do you think?

MissAdventure Thu 05-Sep-19 14:45:58

I think a cat is it's own person.

I'm not keen on the idea of house cats, but perhaps out there its dangerous for them to be out.

Newquay Thu 05-Sep-19 15:05:01

We have a neighbour who has 5 and she looks for more online. They poo in all our gardens; our veg plot stinks and other neighbours have young children who play in the garden where they’ve left their calling cards.
We also have lots of wild birds too but the cats decimate the young.
I’d love a law like that here!

Alima Thu 05-Sep-19 16:08:47

One of the animal charities, possibly Cats Protection but don’t quote me, do ask that you shut cats in overnight. Their reasons include less fighting, less chance of being run over. We have always shut ours in overnight. We have three so probably a good thing that we are not moving to Oz anytime soon.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-Sep-19 16:11:23

I have always religiously kept my cats in overnight, but two of mine were run over, 18 months apart, at around 8 am when people were driving to work. sad

Boosgran Thu 05-Sep-19 16:16:09

Yes, my neighbour has 3 cats and they crap all over my flower beds - I get so fed up of it. I use garlic powder in an attempt to keep them off. It works for a while and then they just come back. Any suggestions to keep them off gratefully received.

kircubbin2000 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:24:43

Get a cat of your own and he will protect his territory. I have never found poo since I got him.

paddyann Thu 05-Sep-19 16:28:28

mine will only use the litter tray,they can be out for a couple of hours then come sliding across the kitchen floor to get to their loo .Its hilarious ,and they dont catch birds ,they bring in snails and wasps and play with them but no birds..yet.I didn't get feathery toys for these two maybe thats why they dont go after feathers .

Boosgran Thu 05-Sep-19 16:29:54

Good idea kircubbin but I don’t think my dog will like it!

Sara65 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:30:03

Our strange cat is out all night every night, sometimes he’s gone for days on end, and at best he only pops in for food.

We don’t think he likes us much

annodomini Thu 05-Sep-19 17:03:48

Rue is said to deter cats. When I had two cats, one hated it and the other showed no reaction at all. It might be worth a try.

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 18:38:16

It's because a lot of cats go awol and some owners don't care so the " missing " cats turn feral and start destroying the wildlife and as we know, cats soon multiply which adds to the problem of ferals.

Charleygirl5 Thu 05-Sep-19 18:51:13

You are correct, Cat Protection does suggest quite strongly that a cat is kept in at night. Mine goes out early am but it is her bladder which brings her home because nowadays she will only use her litter tray. I wish I had her bladder- 7am to 7pm!

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 18:51:39

I've had several cats over the course of 29 years, and have only got 1 now. He was feral. until I took him in 8 years ago. He's about 15 we think, and he's in all night. He flatly refuses to use a litter tray (he's always got one there) but goes outside- even when we go on holiday and he's in until the cat-sitter calls, he's never made a mess indoors.

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 18:52:00

I meant 39 years

Nandalot Thu 05-Sep-19 19:10:47

PaddyAnn, our cat is just the same. Comes in to use the otter tray! Actually, prefer that as I know she is not making a mess i n our , or the neighbours’ gardens.

Nandalot Thu 05-Sep-19 19:12:33

Poor otters. Obviously, I meant litter tray!

grannylyn65 Thu 05-Sep-19 19:16:02

Otters ????

BBbevan Thu 05-Sep-19 19:27:44

Boosgran we covered all our flower beds and veg plot with fine wire netting. Easy to plant through and to weed. But cats can't scrape through it so move on.Worked for years.

Boosgran Thu 05-Sep-19 19:33:40

Thanks annodomini I’ll give it a try.

Boosgran Thu 05-Sep-19 19:35:28

What a great suggestion thank you BBbevan! Going to garden centre tomorrow I’ll get some netting!

Septimia Thu 05-Sep-19 19:53:34

When we lived in a town we always kept our cats in at night - provided they would come when called! I had to imitate the squeak of the fridge door opening to get one of them to come.

Even after moving to the countryside, we tried to get them in at night. Now, though, one of them is 'adopted' - well, she adopted us - and has been accustomed from kittenhood to being able to go out at will. So the cat flap remains unlocked.

However, both cats stay in more often than not, or only stay out for a while. Mostly the adopted one sleeps, like a ton weight, on our bed. That is, when she's not bringing in live mice/voles/shrews for us to catch in the middle of the night, resulting in me trekking to the bottom of the drive, to put them on the drystone wall, wearing only my nightie shock.

They will both use a litter tray if they have to (snow or heavy rain) but I suspect they prefer the churchyard!

phoenix Thu 05-Sep-19 20:04:08

Wow SalsaQueen that is one serious, " don't mess with me" looking handsome chap!

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 20:08:47

Best kept in overnight, our cat once went missing for a month
( we eventually found him) and kept him indoors at night after that.
They also catch more mice at night ( and take them indoors!)

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 20:13:49

Phoenix He's a lovely boy, my Mr Cooper. The gentlest cat I've ever known smile