Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Madeira

(33 Posts)
Newquay Fri 06-Sep-19 17:45:57

It will be our Golden Wedding Ann next April, God willing. DH is a keen gardener so thought a visit to Madeira would be good-as well as replacing his wedding ring he lost recently!
Can any of you experienced GNetters recommend when is the best time to go?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 06-Sep-19 21:31:16

morethan2 I put my asthma flare up to the cleaning products used in the Cliff Bay. The pharmacist in Funchal was extremely helpful.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 21:32:46

That’s where we have booked ( the Cliff Bay Hotel )
However the Eden Mar is also very nice, with lovely gardens and walks next to the sea.

Newquay Fri 06-Sep-19 21:55:09

Thank you all SO much for your helpful suggestions!

Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:01:47

We're Royal Savoy fans. It's nearer the harbour and has a fabulous lido. We've been meny times to Madeira and are very fond of it. The temperate climate is fine all year round and flowers seem to grow in any spot of soil. So much to see and do and lots of nice places to eat. I'm sure you'd love it sunshine

GrannyGravy13 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:11:59

Lemongrove I would go back to the Cliff Bay, just take antihistamines. If you like Italian Food have a look at Villa Cipriani.

I shall rack my feeble brain to think of the names of the restaurants. There is one in”The Castle” in Funchal, cannot remember the name but food was good, I think they will send a vintage car to pick you up.

TwiceAsNice Fri 06-Sep-19 23:18:26

Quinta Bella Vista hotel is right at the bottom harbour part of Funchal so you don’t have to climb the hill. Lots of lovely restaurants in that area all on the flat as well. Then walk to the other side of the promenade to catch the cable car to see the lovely gardens and there are a couple of restaurants at the to there too and a cafe in the gardens. The gardens are hilly and in tiers so fine going down, a pull coming up but well worth it, beautiful flowers . If you don’t want a hotel there are apartments to rent and then you can eat out . I love Madeira, been 3 times.

Devorgilla Sat 07-Sep-19 17:23:48

We went here three years ago early March and the weather was warm and sunny. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We did some of the walks and booked tours as I didn't want to drive. We stayed in an apartment in Funchal and could walk or bus to main centre. Go and enjoy.