Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you ever had you're 15 minutes of fame?

(49 Posts)
Evie64 Fri 06-Sep-19 23:02:44

I used to work for RCA Records in London, in their Credit Control Department. My BF worked for Track Records (The Who's own label at the time). It was around 1971 if I recall. They were making a promotional video for American TV. She invited me along and I had to dance around Keith Moon and his drum-kit. I've seen it once on the TV. Also, I saw Queen on Xmas Eve 1975, the year that Bohemian Rhapsody was released. I was right at the front. Have seen that on TV a few times. The camera goes on me and what am I doing? Scratching my head! On the shame....... blush

Rosieroe Mon 16-Sep-19 20:27:24

When I was about 17 a boyfriend took me dancing in a country hall and while we were dancing omeone came up to me and gave me a ticket. I was then asked to come on stage along with some other girls who had also been given tickets. It turned out they were choosing their beauty queen that night and I was runner up!

Working in a University it was decided to make a video beginning with the pages of a book being turned. My hands turned those pages!

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 20:05:18

I was on University Challenge, way back the second year it was on. I got several fan letters.

petra Mon 16-Sep-19 19:59:59

In 1969 I was sitting on my boat at Essex Marina, Wallasey Island.
A couple came walking along the pontoon and we got talking.
I invited them onboard for coffee as we had so much to talk about.
They were with me for a couple of hours.
It wasn't until they went that my friend came up to me and told me it was Glenda Jackson and Richard Greene.
It appeared that Women In Love had just come out at the cinema, I didn't know!!!
That's probably why the conversation flowed as it did because I didn't recognise them.

gallusquine Mon 16-Sep-19 19:53:35

In 1989 when Thatchers Government tried to Introduce the Poll Tax in Scotland I was involved in the Anti Poll Tax Movement. For a heady 6 months or so I was rolled out when Local Radio, Press or TV wanted an interview.

shysal Mon 16-Sep-19 19:29:30

My friend and I hung around the stage door when The Shadows were doing some shows in Oxford. Hank and Bruce invited us to the cinema over the road, and brought Frank Ifield, their supporting artist, along. All completely innocent I can assure you.
Being shy all my life, the only acheivement I can think of is winning the mothers race at my DDs' primary school. Unfortunately I then had to face the embarrassment of attending next morning's assembly to receive my prize. blush

Daisymae Mon 16-Sep-19 19:13:30

Well, I won a BBC short story competition, the prize was that I went to the studios and my story was read out on air. Was given a recording of it on a cassette. I don't know where it is, which is just as well as I've nothing to play it on!

Evie64 Mon 16-Sep-19 18:22:25

MaggieMaybe, I'm so jealous. Marc Bolan was so beautiful. Love the velvet purple hotpants too! I had black suede ones back in the day and used to wear them to work at The Ministry of Housing and Local Government! Nobody complained grin God, we were soooo cool weren't we!

Dawn22 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:42:33

I had lunch with J R Ewing (Dallas) Actor Larry Hagman many years ago.

I am in a writing group and recently l read out an A4 page of my writing and l played my Harmonica on stage in our local theatre. I was proud of myself.
Dawn.

joannapiano Sat 07-Sep-19 17:55:07

DH was interviewed by the BBC TV outside the Old Bailey. (He was the senior Police Officer not the villain!).

Mamissimo Sat 07-Sep-19 16:36:16

Yup......I was a TV presenter for a time in the 1970s and walked away when I got married. Glad I did....I’ve never looked back......and no I won’t divulge!

Ellianne Sat 07-Sep-19 16:17:30

15 seconds of fame when I shook hands with Princess Anne who presented me with my degree in the Royal Albert Hall.

Nonnie Sat 07-Sep-19 16:16:26

I've met a few slebs but never been photographed with them, unless you include DH who many years ago played small TV parts.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Sep-19 16:13:19

An outdoor Manx radio show which was about, of all things, long-tails, rats to you and me, and had I seen any while on the island as their numbers were increasing. No, said I but I often see two-legged ones on my travels.

During a flight delay at Heathrow, I got talking to a bunch of young men with music equipment. They were travelling to New York to set up stage for a Who concert there and I was telling them that my cousin was their roadie in the 60's and they did everything to try and make me change my flight from Oz to their flight. I had to decline these chaps who'd been responsible for the lighting and effects of the forthcoming trip. This was either mid to late 90's.

Have spoken to an actor by phone when I was nursing his brother. The actor was Graham Stark, better known for his many appearances on film with Peter Sellers.

ninathenana Sat 07-Sep-19 15:43:07

I was in the crowd at a TOTP recording back in the '70s

annodomini Sat 07-Sep-19 15:09:45

When I was 21, we were campaigning in a by-election and I was interviewed by the now defunct Daily Herald about why I was voting Liberal. I can't remember what I said, but there was a rather good photograph of me. We lost our deposit!
I also appeared on TV, speaking at a Party conference (in Blackpool, I think). But I suspect the viewing audience for that would have been minute.

MissAdventure Sat 07-Sep-19 15:00:25

Oh Marc Bolan was a beautiful man!
I was only about 7 or 8, but he was wonderful, as far as I was concerned.

Nellie098 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:54:34

Several years ago now, I was in our city rushing round in my lunch break and didn't really take much notice of the man being interviewed in front of our city hall as I walked past. A couple of hours later several people came into work and said they had recognised me on the local tv news. However I think I was deleted after that as I definitely wasn't on the evening news.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Sep-19 12:55:39

Marc Bolan bought me a drink and chatted to me through the interval of a gig. That was about 50 years ago. I was wearing purple panne velvet hot pants and his outfit was very similar. grin

He was absolutely lovely.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Sep-19 12:51:32

Nonnie, it was the inaugural Rummikub championship, nearly (gulp) 30 years ago. They still hold them every 3 years though. I won the regional heat by playing at WH Smith in Bradford - in their front window. grin

KatyK Sat 07-Sep-19 12:49:54

Met Richard O'Sullivan once after a show. He was a sweetie.

Grannyknot Sat 07-Sep-19 12:43:35

Eek! bath - path!

Grannyknot Sat 07-Sep-19 12:43:10

Sat next to Paul Weller putting our shoes back on after airport security check grin

Pushed a trolley with refreshments across a conference venue foyer just as Tony Blair was arriving, literally crossed his bath.

Have had a selfie with Alistair Campbell and another one with Richard Osman!

But my favourite famous moment was when I was the Christmas Fairy at the annual staff party when I worked for Caterpillar (I was 22) and arrived in the bucket of a ... well Caterpillar digger, with Santa grin It was very juddery being driven there held aloft and then being lowered ... I think I may have clung to the sides and been a bit green around the gills. smile

Anniebach Sat 07-Sep-19 11:11:45

It’s just not fair

I met Mel Gibson - stepped on his foot

Walked through the supermarket car park with Salman Rushdie - he helped me carry shopping bags

Had a whiskey with Stephane Grappelli - back stage at a jazz festival concert

Not one camera shot

Nonnie Sat 07-Sep-19 10:54:12

Been on TV twice, local news when I was protesting and one of those daytime antique/junk shows. I had been looking round the saleroom and saw the cameras so did my best to avoid them and thought I had succeeded until an ex-boyfriend of 50+ years ago tracked me down and told me he had seen me!

Also was a member of the audience and called onto the stage as part of the show!

Anything else has been reflected glory from other members of the family.

Maggie I had no idea there was a Rummicub championship! We love it and I think DS2 might well be a contender in such a competition. Well done.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:15:03

Obviously you know that my real name is Meryl Streep
grin