Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Irish passport?

(92 Posts)
mosaicwarts Sun 08-Sep-19 23:10:23

Hello everyone, I met a friend tonight who said she was applying for an Irish passport, in addition to her UK passport. Has anyone else with Irish ancestors done this yet?

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:31:51

".... always have BEEN...."

MawB Mon 09-Sep-19 13:59:50

Hattie, bred in Tipperary has an EU Irish “pet passport”
I wonder if I am entitled to one as her sole career? ???

MawB Mon 09-Sep-19 14:00:26

“Carer” dummes Tablet!

Missfoodlove Mon 09-Sep-19 14:44:32

Notanan2,

I answered the OP regarding applying for an Irish passport.

You have hijacked an innocuous thread.

I never doubted that I was an Irish citizen.

My children need to register on the foreign birth register before they can become Irish citizens.

Nobody is arguing with you, relax.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:06:18

I am not 'protesting' by getting an Irish passport. I am taking practical measures to make it possible for me and, hopefully, my DH to travel between our two homes, on in France the other in the UK with the ease we always have.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:17:44

So you need to use it
That is different to the "lets get one just cause we can" lot!

crystaltipps Mon 09-Sep-19 15:23:00

It’s not “just because we can” we’re entitled to it and we will use it.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:23:02

I would think any UK citizen getting an irish passport is likely to be travelling to an EU country some time or another, so will have a use for it.

Grannycool52 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:54:59

I have read in the serious newspapers that Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of England, travels on an Irish passport.

crystaltipps Mon 09-Sep-19 16:06:45

I don’t think anyone wants to shell out over £1.5k “just because they can”. It is obviously important to them. Thousands of People of Irish descent feel the same.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:14:51

It doesnt cost that to get a passport by decent. That is the naturalisation cost, entirely different.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:16:31

I would think any UK citizen getting an irish passport is likely to be travelling to an EU country some time or another, so will have a use for it.

Using it for the sake of using it isnt the same as needing it.

You wont need one for holidaying post brexit. Many Irish passport "brexit applicants" have no intention to work or live abroad!

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 16:32:31

Using it for the sake of using it isnt the same as needing it. Thats not what I said.

Anyone with an Irish passport can travel to and around EU countries as an EU citizen, with a UK passport they will be seen as an enemy foreign alien, and subject to the rules and limits that govern that. So any UK citizen who qualifies to do so should get an Irish passport for practical reasons.

crystaltipps Mon 09-Sep-19 16:33:55

Also will be able to have health care etc in EU.

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 16:36:16

Sensible posts by notanan2 ......just that some posters can’t see it.They are doing it for protests only, or, to be more precise are saying that they will do it.
I’m Irish by descent but won’t be applying for one, I have a British passport to use for any holiday anywhere.

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 16:38:02

We all had holidays abroad before we ever entered the EU!

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 16:56:40

Today's conversation with DS and DiL.
Her parents were born and brought up in NI.
Have always had UK passports but have now applied for Irish ones. Once theirs are processed DiL will apply for Irish passports for herself and new DGS.
I have said to them that if, in a year or two they feel they need to move - to Dublin, France, anywhere in the EU (but never to England) they will have my blessing though it breaks my heart to say it.
I can only hope that Scottish independence may give them the incentive to stay.
Scotland will need intelligent young people like them.

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 17:00:23

Isn't this getting a bit silly? People are entitled to do what they want if regulations allow!

Yes, we did all have holidays abroad before we entered the EU but a) the world has changed/numbers of people travelling/population increase means that the situation is NOT the same and b) it was not that easy to travel abroad anyway, many fewer people did it, it required international driving licences, Green cards, different insurance arrangements, health cover, visas and things we no longer have to think about or won't have to until 31st October.

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 17:09:59

How odd.....we never had any problems at all, and visited countries all over the world as well as in Europe.

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 17:11:43

We also had friends who lived and worked in Switzerland,
And others in Holland ( pre EU).

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:15:56

Yet brits currently manage just fine to holiday outside of europe at the moment. Having a British passport will not prohibit holidays in Europe post brexit any more than it currently prohibits holidays beyond the EU

What will be restricted are things like work, residence, study, etc. Not 2 weeks in the sun/snow!

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:23:27

I had an American travelling companion on a trip around part of Europe once (with my EU passport) Guess what? The border cops took just as long looking at my passport as theirs! We crossed the borders together.

Yes! You can holiday in Europe just fine without an EU passport. People do it all the time.

The thing that may inhibit us would be exchange rates.

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 17:28:38

I'm not talking about holidays.
I'm talking about intelligent young people with a lot to contribute being so disgusted with Westminster that they might well just up and leave on a permanent basis!

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 17:33:17

A lot of us holiday in our own homes in EU countries and are concerned about any laws that may change affecting us.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:38:48

And they are both examples of needing one.

You dont need one to express your political views or to "protest" or to continue to live here full time just going on occaisonal holidays!